Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2022, 05:31 (Ref:4108068)   #551
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I think that it would be quite easy to join something of an anti-Lewis pile on just now (similar to the pile ons on other drivers, even race officials at times) but I'm more like your approach V8 Fireworks - we haven't really seen much of Lewis in a lower-midfield car, certainly not in recent years and that makes it interesting to see how he does.

Lewis is a class driver, no question about it - personally I've never once believed the "GOAT" suggestions or even the "head & shoulders better" suggestions about him but he's definitely in the elite class of drivers, with maybe 3-4 others, possibly a couple more than that if we factor in car capabilities and the like. How the team turn the car around, what Lewis can do with it (particularly in comparison to George) and as a result, what impact the team can have on the front of the field is go0ing to be at least an interesting sidebar this year and may end up being a big part of the story of this year's championships.

We've seen Lewis a bit flat in his outlook in the past, sometimes during races but he has always found a way to get past that - just seems to be the way that he processes some challenges.

The year is shaping up pretty well overall. Feels like it'll be a while before Mercedes actually dominates again though, if they ever do, which in all honesty is a good thing for the sport and was bound to happen at some stage.
Most championships are won in the best car, for anything else to happen would be an anomaly. Whoever had been in the Mercedes in it's dominant years would have had a better run than any other driver simply because it was the best car.
Old 26 Apr 2022, 05:40 (Ref:4108069)   #552
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Most championships are won in the best car, for anything else to happen would be an anomaly. Whoever had been in the Mercedes in it's dominant years would have had a better run than any other driver simply because it was the best car.
Yep - all that needed to be done was beat one team mate, which Lewis managed to do (other than 2016 of course).
Old 26 Apr 2022, 06:08 (Ref:4108070)   #553
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
George and Lewis feels a bit like Daniel and Seb from 2014
Old 26 Apr 2022, 10:12 (Ref:4108077)   #554
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
The Merc looked good in the first test week this year, when it had sidepods. Should they go back to that shape?
Old 26 Apr 2022, 10:37 (Ref:4108081)   #555
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think the side pods has much to do with Mercs issues.

The porpoising is hampering their car more than others, even if it doesn't look more violent than other cars. They've broken the diffuser numerous times, and both drivers are lifting much earlier than others (even other Mercedes powered cars) to control the porpoising before they begin braking. It _appears_ as though they need to stabilise the car before braking more than everyone else. This is also killing top speed and overtaking ability as they brake earlier than everyone.
Old 26 Apr 2022, 11:02 (Ref:4108084)   #556
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have been reading two theories regarding the Mercedes approach, that are interesting and (if true) reveal a lack of desperation within the team.

The first is that Mercedes have not rushed any upgrades, because they want to fully understand the problem(s) before they go about fixing. The thought being that if they notice an improvement, it would be difficult at this stage to know if it was because of an upgrade or a circuit influence.

The second is that they have deliberately made changes that increase the problem(s). It might sound counter-intuitive, but the thought is that if they can deliberately induce the problem in a controlled manner, they will better understand the causes and scale of effects.

If either (or both) are true, it would suggest that they are more focused on understanding rather than fixing at this stage.

A smart approach - or a result of the cost cap meaning that you only get so much opportunity to fix a problem, so you need to make sure the fix works?
Old 26 Apr 2022, 11:53 (Ref:4108094)   #557
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I am sure that Mercedes will systematically work through this and once they do understand it, will rectify the problem and suddenly find a whole chunk of pace. (They do seem to totally believe in their current concept and consider this an an 'annoying little issue'.)
On a side note, I was surprised to see how the Ferrari was affected with the same problem during last weekends in-car shots from LeClerc. His helmet was bobbing up and down like a buoy in a rough sea at times (and no rude comments please!)
Old 26 Apr 2022, 11:58 (Ref:4108098)   #558
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't think the side pods has much to do with Mercs issues.

The porpoising is hampering their car more than others, even if it doesn't look more violent than other cars. They've broken the diffuser numerous times, and both drivers are lifting much earlier than others (even other Mercedes powered cars) to control the porpoising before they begin braking. It _appears_ as though they need to stabilise the car before braking more than everyone else. This is also killing top speed and overtaking ability as they brake earlier than everyone.

The side pods play an important role in influencing the airflow over and around the car, as well as the upper edge of the floor. This in turn influences the airflow on the underside of the floor. These two articles in The Race, give a good insight into the issues with regard to Mercedes' lack of side pods, in comparison to Ferrari and Red Bull.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/huge-...aris-theories/

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-...mercedes-flaw/
Old 26 Apr 2022, 12:00 (Ref:4108099)   #559
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
On a side note, I was surprised to see how the Ferrari was affected with the same problem during last weekends in-car shots from LeClerc. His helmet was bobbing up and down like a buoy in a rough sea at times (and no rude comments please!)
Mattia Binotto has noted that - “I don’t know why the others are not as quick as we are with porpoising. But it’s true that we are still suffering with it. We put some actions on the car to try to mitigate it, but it’s not yet addressed and solved. But it’s always a compromise between trying to solve it and giving up some performance, while maybe in the meantime you have to have some porpoising to get the best out of your car.”

For some reason though - the Mercedes drivers are having to lift earlier before a corner to settle the car, compared to the Ferrari drivers who seem to be able to enter a corner [braking zone] at full speed.
Old 26 Apr 2022, 12:51 (Ref:4108106)   #560
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The side pods play an important role in influencing the airflow over and around the car, as well as the upper edge of the floor. This in turn influences the airflow on the underside of the floor. These two articles in The Race, give a good insight into the issues with regard to Mercedes' lack of side pods, in comparison to Ferrari and Red Bull.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/huge-...aris-theories/

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-...mercedes-flaw/
I'm aware. I'm just saying what the more technical pundits have been saying. Given Mercedes have a baseline of both larger and micro side pods, if those were the issue, then they'd have looked at rolling back the change. We also know they've been testing a lot of these in the simulators, as the drivers (race and the various reserves) have been tweeting/instagramming about it.

Also, as referenced by Ferrari, we're seeing a wide range of solutions for the side pods, and yet Mercedes appear to be the team struggling the most with porpoising. The various sided solutions are not having a huge difference on the porpoising - which is what you'd expect, as this is not an unknown phenomenon in ground effect cars. In Mercedes case, it isn't that the car is bouncing more than others - it's that the car can't cope with the level of bouncing it's doing. The drivers cannot attack braking zones and the car has regularly shed parts.
Old 26 Apr 2022, 14:03 (Ref:4108115)   #561
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hamilton does seem to have let his head drop a little bit, while Russell, who is no doubt delighted he has a half decent car, even if it's not the race winner he hoped for, has been inspired. However I wouldn't write Lewis off yet, there's still a long way to go
Old 26 Apr 2022, 15:25 (Ref:4108128)   #562
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I first saw the porpoising the health issues was the first thing I thought of. Alan Jones retired from F1 quoting health issues caused by the cars at the time having no suspension movement and the impacts affecting the driver's health and he wanted nothing to do with it. It must be causing some sort of concussive effect on the drivers and the Mercedes would have to the worst car of those that have the problem.
Old 26 Apr 2022, 15:33 (Ref:4108130)   #563
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hamilton will be getting pelters on Twitter and social media for being outperformed by Russell. Looking at the horrendous onboard footage, it's a wonder that either of them are able to drive the cargo for an hour and a half. Perhaps George is adapting to it better?

Mercedes have been constantly brilliant for years on end, and I would not write them off just yet. The noise from Mercedes about this issue is not exactly encouraging though, is it?

It does feel a bit like the beginning of McLarens demise, when they went from top of the tree, to then starting to bring in more and more radical car designs that simply didn't work. Probably the 2 situations are not comparable in practice - but that is what is in the back of my mind.
Old 26 Apr 2022, 15:42 (Ref:4108132)   #564
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
When I first saw the porpoising the health issues was the first thing I thought of. Alan Jones retired from F1 quoting health issues caused by the cars at the time having no suspension movement and the impacts affecting the driver's health and he wanted nothing to do with it. It must be causing some sort of concussive effect on the drivers and the Mercedes would have to the worst car of those that have the problem.
Admittedly George Russel has mentioned suffering back & chest pains being caused by the porpoising but I think the cars are different animals now compared to Alan Jones' days. Back then to try and resolve the situation the cars ran extremely stiff suspension but movement was still available from the high tyre sidewalls which possibly compounded the situation.
I'm only basing my thoughts on what has been said publicly by Mercedes, but they do appear (to me) to be quietly confident that their fundamental design is superior to anything else out there, but a the moment there are unable to unleash the advantages of that due to this irritating bouncing. Obviously Mercedes are not unique in suffering the problem, but it clearly has a bigger detrimental effect on their car which does go towards convincing me that if/once they can stabilise the ride-height of the car it should be a flyer!
(Obviously, I know nothing, but it is interesting to see how the mighty Mercedes can struggle, and should be similarly interesting to see what happens next/eventually).
Old 26 Apr 2022, 16:05 (Ref:4108134)   #565
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

When Alan Jones was driving, the cars were stiffly sprung to get round the ban on sliding skirts that came in in 1980, so a hydraulic system and fixed skirts were used. Once the car had left the pits and was out on the track, the car's ride height was lowered than was legally allowed. The skirts could then operate at this lower height but the cars were very stiffly sprung, so the skirts would remain in contact with the track, sealing the car to the surface. These were eventually banned in at the end of 1982.
Old 26 Apr 2022, 17:12 (Ref:4108138)   #566
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It must be causing some sort of concussive effect on the drivers and the Mercedes would have to the worst car of those that have the problem.
this is a very interesting concern...certainly not a concern that can be or should be easily dismissed.

i would have to think that even though the cars are significantly different to those of the past, the issue of repetitive head trauma, even its just an accumulation of relatively minor bumps and bangs (a very medical terms i know) is of significant concern?

i would have to think that this has been an issue brought up at least internally within the team or the drivers and their doctors?

bit of a what would Sid Watkins think about it situation?
Old 26 Apr 2022, 18:27 (Ref:4108147)   #567
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
this is a very interesting concern...certainly not a concern that can be or should be easily dismissed.

i would have to think that even though the cars are significantly different to those of the past, the issue of repetitive head trauma, even its just an accumulation of relatively minor bumps and bangs (a very medical terms i know) is of significant concern?

i would have to think that this has been an issue brought up at least internally within the team or the drivers and their doctors?

bit of a what would Sid Watkins think about it situation?
There is current regulations for accelerometers to be attached to the survival cell as well as "in ear" versions for the drivers (I assume teams create earpieces that include both the radio, plus the accelerometers). There is a warning light that is triggered when a specific acceleration threshold has been passed (i.e. crash). So they are currently concerned about singular/instantaneous high G events and the effect upon the drivers. But I wonder if they should look at a limit on an accumulation over time of lower level G events (such as pounding down the long straight lap after lap)

Given they have accelerometers on both the chassis and driver, and I assume those are data logging during the race, they should have some data to look at from the teams that are having porpoising issues. You have the issue of it being bad, but the drivers being reluctant to speak up. Kudos to George for calling out that the current situation (effects to the drivers body) can't be sustained. I believe that there very well may be a cumulative effect. I also suspect there may be little actual data to be used to set limits for this?

Maybe other industries or even military studies might provide starting points on what is safe and what is not. If you ignore the potential for physical injury just due to the continuous hammering, there might be safety concerns about loss of visual acuity due to the oscillations not to mention just pure old fashion "fatigue" of dealing with this for a race duration.

Richard
Old 26 Apr 2022, 19:42 (Ref:4108158)   #568
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
You have the issue of it being bad, but the drivers being reluctant to speak up.
Sorry typo in above. I meant to say that drivers being reluctant to speak up might be a possibility vs. an absolute.

Richard
Old 26 Apr 2022, 19:50 (Ref:4108159)   #569
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Sorry typo in above. I meant to say that drivers being reluctant to speak up might be a possibility vs. an absolute.

Richard

Apart from Russell, have any other drivers spoken up?
Old 26 Apr 2022, 20:57 (Ref:4108168)   #570
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Apart from Russell, have any other drivers spoken up?
I think Leclerc made some comments over a month ago that it might bring some physical challenges. But I think Russell has been the only one to really call it out as having a real impact on him. And given when it's at it's worst, it is in the Mercedes, so it would be George and Lewis who are probably having the worst time of it. If you have to lift on long straights to get it under control, then it has to be bad.

Richard
Old 26 Apr 2022, 21:08 (Ref:4108171)   #571
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There is current regulations for accelerometers to be attached to the survival cell as well as "in ear" versions for the drivers (I assume teams create earpieces that include both the radio, plus the accelerometers). There is a warning light that is triggered when a specific acceleration threshold has been passed (i.e. crash). So they are currently concerned about singular/instantaneous high G events and the effect upon the drivers. But I wonder if they should look at a limit on an accumulation over time of lower level G events (such as pounding down the long straight lap after lap)
thats some very cool tech. did not now they were able to monitor it like this.

wondering how long it will be before my airpods have an accelerometer built into them!
Old 27 Apr 2022, 02:04 (Ref:4108179)   #572
Casper
Veteran

My mention of Alan Jones was simply to point out that drivers health issues are not new and he had the nous to get out because of it. Athletes have a record of ignoring any mention of concussion if they can avoid it and it has been suggested by some observers that Russel is speaking for himself and also some drivers who are all members of the GPDA in his role as director of that organisation.
Old 27 Apr 2022, 02:09 (Ref:4108180)   #573
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thats some very cool tech. did not now they were able to monitor it like this.
Yes, this technology has been used for a few years now mainly because they can log the data at point of impact on the driver. When you see G force data a driver is subjected to in a major crash/impact the in ear accelerometers are the major source of those figures as well as the chassis accelerometers.
Old 27 Apr 2022, 07:01 (Ref:4108193)   #574
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Just a question about the accelerometers that the drivers 'wear'. Are they fully three-dimensional? Meaning do they measure movement in all directions, or are they mainly there to measure the severe deceleration that may occur during a sudden stop experienced during a crash?
What I'm trying to ask is do they measure the up & down bouncing?
Old 27 Apr 2022, 07:14 (Ref:4108196)   #575
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just a question about the accelerometers that the drivers 'wear'. Are they fully three-dimensional? Meaning do they measure movement in all directions, or are they mainly there to measure the severe deceleration that may occur during a sudden stop experienced during a crash?
What I'm trying to ask is do they measure the up & down bouncing?
The system (which includes more than the accelerometers) measures all directions of head movement including - 'the exact forces on the head to a given displacement, the elongation of the neck, how it engages with the headrests, how the headrests perform and what we need to do to produce the next generation cockpit environment.'

From the makers of the in-ear device - 'The three spring-riders are mounted at different orientations to respond to motion in three directions: forwards-backwards, left-right and up-down.' and 'For head impacts in Formula One the measurements peak at 400g across all three axes'