Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jun 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4054552)   #101
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Also from social media it seems that Rocket RJN still have their GT3 McLaren - it's just not being used
Well - it is now It's back out for Silverstone, Spa and Donington with Mia Flewitt and Euan Hankey.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4054555)   #102
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well - it is now It's back out for Silverstone, Spa and Donington with Mia Flewitt and Euan Hankey.
Good to see, and part of a wider collaboration with Chinese Mclaren customer team The Winning Team
Old 4 Jun 2021, 19:14 (Ref:4054649)   #103
Jamie Brown
Rookie

Jamie Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets for Silverstone were on sale, now they have been taken off sale and says coming soon again. Anyone know why?
Old 4 Jun 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4054650)   #104
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Brown View Post
Tickets for Silverstone were on sale, now they have been taken off sale and says coming soon again. Anyone know why?
Waiting to see if the Lockdown restrictions are eased on the 21st? Or just Silverstone's usual disdain for spectators.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4055293)   #105
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems like restrictions may not be getting eased. Life is terrible isnt it? Like whats the actual point anymore?
Old 9 Jun 2021, 09:57 (Ref:4055399)   #106
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another GT3 for Silverstone, McLaren 720S. Entry is shaping up nicely, hope Spectators are allowed, even if not around the whole circuit.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...stone-500.html
Old 9 Jun 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4055432)   #107
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Silverstone tickets are now on sale. They are now being much more open about the restrictions, but there is still no explanation for their taking such a narrow view of what is allowed. Simply stating that they are conforming to Govt and MSUK regulations is disingenuous as those regulations do not require spectators to be restricted to a small part of the circuit, nor to wear masks at all times on site.

Note that in the link below they refer to opening up more areas depending on what is announced on June 21, but there is no commitment to opening the whole circuit and such careful wording makes me wonder if they would not do so, though in the event of remaining restrictions being lifted (which I know now looks unlikely) it would be very hard to explain continuing to limit spectators to only part of the place.

https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events...t-championship

I had a very civil exchange with a customer service rep who offered to refund my HSCC tickets, but of course they would not be able to give more details of Silverstone's thinking. I thus continue to assume that is is simply absolute paranoia about the F1 GP, on which their entire business model depends.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 18:59 (Ref:4055444)   #108
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
...I thus continue to assume that is is simply absolute paranoia about the F1 GP, on which their entire business model depends.
That's not too an outrageous view, in light of what other venues are doing.

Also, I've got tickets for Donington in mid-July which might be impacted if the current restrictions get extended by a month, and MSV are selling tickets beyond the 4000 mark...
Old 9 Jun 2021, 19:32 (Ref:4055450)   #109
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
That's not too an outrageous view, in light of what other venues are doing.
I don't understand. Please eleborate?

Ah: I thought you might mean that Silverstone's view wasn't outrageous given risky behaviour by other circuits. But you mean that my assessment of Silverstone's motivation is probably correct, given how much less restrictive other circuits are being.

Sorry, I'm a bit slow this evening. Must be the heat :-)

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 9 Jun 2021 at 19:42.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 19:49 (Ref:4055451)   #110
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
...But you mean that my assessment of Silverstone's motivation is probably correct, given how much less restrictive other circuits are being....
That was indeed my meaning.
Old 21 Jun 2021, 12:08 (Ref:4057598)   #111
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2 Seas are debutting their new Mercedes AMG GT3 at Silverstone with Hunter Abbott / Martin Kodric
Old 22 Jun 2021, 19:50 (Ref:4057793)   #112
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s great to see them out with a Merc and good to see Hunter out in the car. A very under appreciated driver
Old 29 Jun 2021, 07:57 (Ref:4058792)   #113
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
I had a look at the Donington website last night to see if there was a timetable for their BGT weekend yet (there wasn't).

I noticed the circuit map was suggesting no access to the inside of the track, has anyone been there recently to confirm that is the case?

I know the normal route to the interior is via the paddock tunnel, which of course is out of action, but there must be other routes in (it is a few years since I've been).
Old 29 Jun 2021, 14:23 (Ref:4058852)   #114
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I had a look at the Donington website last night to see if there was a timetable for their BGT weekend yet (there wasn't).

I noticed the circuit map was suggesting no access to the inside of the track, has anyone been there recently to confirm that is the case?

I know the normal route to the interior is via the paddock tunnel, which of course is out of action, but there must be other routes in (it is a few years since I've been).
I haven't been to Donington yet this year, but in 2020 the restrictions meant that all spectator parking was on the tarmac lake behind Redgate/Hollywood, and we used the Hollywood gate to get in. To get to the infield meant walking round the outside of the track to Coppice and using the tunnel there, but the infield was all open (and you could also get to the first section of the GP loop).

The current restrictions are basically the same as last year, so I would imagine it will be similar now.
Old 29 Jun 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4058922)   #115
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
I haven't been to Donington yet this year, but in 2020 the restrictions meant that all spectator parking was on the tarmac lake behind Redgate/Hollywood, and we used the Hollywood gate to get in. To get to the infield meant walking round the outside of the track to Coppice and using the tunnel there, but the infield was all open (and you could also get to the first section of the GP loop).

The current restrictions are basically the same as last year, so I would imagine it will be similar now.
It is indeed exactly the same.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 08:46 (Ref:4058985)   #116
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is indeed exactly the same.
Thanks for confirming - I'll pack my walking shoes for that weekend then!
Old 11 Jul 2021, 12:01 (Ref:4060743)   #117
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
10 minutes into the Donington race and 1/3 of the field is out due to contact. 23 cars becomes 16

30 minutes we are down to 13 now. All through contact. Really weird race.

Last edited by tux; 11 Jul 2021 at 12:16.
Old 12 Jul 2021, 07:10 (Ref:4060801)   #118
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Had a good weekend at Donington spectating. First time back there in nearly 10 years.

When did the Spitfire 'statue' get taken down?

The Covid access restrictions actually encouraged me to wander about into areas I'd not normally watch from - usually you just plonk yourself down on the interior banking - so that is one advantage of the current situation.

Anyway, as Tux said, after 30 minutes there were only 5 of the original 13 GT4 cars still in the race.

It does seem somewhat out of character for BGT, but with only a modest grid size it does only take a couple of multi-vehicle incidents to knock out a large number of the contestants.
Old 12 Jul 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4060807)   #119
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First few photos here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWbdSB9

With the continued restrictions meaning a long walk from the Tarmac Lake to access the infield, I went ultra light with only a 24-120mm zoom lens (which should be regarded as madness at Donington). Rewarded with some impressive clouds and no rain - see what you think. More to come.

Not especially impressed with the standard of driving which left us with pretty poor fare - 12 cars for around half of the race ... Congrats however to the Messrs Neary. An impressive finish to a difficult weekend.
Old 12 Jul 2021, 11:08 (Ref:4060819)   #120
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
When did the Spitfire 'statue' get taken down?
2010, when the aborted Gillett/DVLL F1 shambles fell to pieces. The Spitfire fell off the stand and I think was damaged beyond repair, and the Spark Plug just disappeared.

Crazy race yesterday for sure. I was marshalling at the top of Craner (post 6) and was very surprised at the amount of contact - not where I was, mind you! We did have the #4 Rocket RJN McLaren pull up with us with broken suspension and rear toe link after 30 minutes, and it very nearly got taken out an hour or so later by the #25 Mercedes which had a very lurid spin off the track and across the grass, narrowly missing both McLaren and tyre wall (in my notes as "epic spin and continue!" )

I dare say it will have been a very expensive day for some people.
Old 12 Jul 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4060842)   #121
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I meant to say too that it was *really* good seeing the spectator banks with spectators on them. For too long the only people applauding the drivers at the end of a race has been us lot!
Old 14 Jul 2021, 07:07 (Ref:4060980)   #122
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Full gallery from Donington now here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWbdSB9
Old 14 Jul 2021, 07:34 (Ref:4060982)   #123
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Full gallery from Donington now here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWbdSB9
Fantastic photos!
Old 17 Jul 2021, 11:22 (Ref:4061393)   #124
Columbus
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
Columbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see British GT is promising "Harsher deterrents" for the next round at Spa, although that will be little consolation for the many innocent Donington casualties. With limited workshop time between the races and budget-busting repair costs, I'd be surprised if they all make the trip to Belgium.

There also appears to be some doubt over the eligibility of one of the Donington shunt culprits. British GT Pro/Am rules say all "Am" drivers must be FIA-graded Bronze. But Chris Salkeld - the driver responsible for eliminating four GT4s at Donington - is one of two FIA-graded Silver (professional) drivers in the Pro/Am class-leading Century Motorsport BMW.

Seems pretty unfair when he's causing havoc and running away with the championship - when all the others are playing by the rules!
Old 17 Jul 2021, 11:30 (Ref:4061394)   #125
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There wouldn't be a problem if they got rid of all this Pro/Am rubbish. All drivers should be treated equally.