Home Forum T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9 Apr 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3056068)   #46
BritishV8
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location:
Colorado
Posts: 40
BritishV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbn1 View Post
The MK IV's number is 100-86L and my guess is that it too was delivered new to the US. Though I have no definite history on it prior to 1990 the then-owner said he knows it was raced in the states as of the mid 1970's. I'm still running down leads.

Best--Michael Oritt
I've had a real close look at Michael's Elva MkIV (100/86) and today I posted fifty-some photos of it along with some article text to the website "BritishRacecar.com". I'd be very curious to hear any comments. Please let me know if you spot inaccuracies or omissions.

Here's the link: Michael Oritt's Elva MkIV-L Racecar (serial# 100/86)

Enjoy!




p.s. I have enough photos to do a similar write-up on Alan Patterson's MkIV (100/87) if there's sufficient interest.
BritishV8 is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Apr 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3056476)   #47
begbier
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2003
United Kingdom
Posts: 20
begbier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva MkIV (#100/74) - Period History

Period ownership and race history now largely pieced together for this early MkIV:

April/June 1959 : Purchased by Peter G Mullard and road registered in the Oxford area with number '180 JFC'

July '69 - Sept '60 : Entered by Mullard in various UK race meetings, including the Members' Meeting at Goodwood in May 1960

May '61 : Advertised for sale in Motorsport magazine, eventually acquired by Bob King (of Royale Racing Cars fame) as a trade-in against a road car

July '61 : Class win and fastest time of the day at Brands Hatch in Sevenoaks & District Sprint meeting

Aug - Oct '61 : Further raced by King at Mallory Park (Nottingham Sports Car Club), Brands Hatch (BRSCC) and Silverstone (BRDC)

Late '61 : Advertised for sale in Autosport and purchased by William T. "Bunny" Ribbs in California

April '62 - June '62 : Raced by Bunny Ribbs at Stockton, Cotati and Laguna Seca before he moved up to a MkVI for 1963. Car was crashed at last race meeting at Laguna Seca.

Late '62 : Sold to Jerry Faught and Dave Ferguson. Repairs appear to have taken some time!

Oct '64 - Mar '69 : Raced by Faught at various meetings in California and by Ferguson in at least one meeting in Canada

Photos exist of the car being raced by each of the first owners but uncertainty over copyright restrictions prevents posting. So, attached is one of the current owner driving it at Donington Park, UK during 2011. It is running the correct 1098cc Coventry Climax FWA engine as used for UK small displacement sports racing in the late 1950s.

Hoping to hear details of more MkIVs that are still racing via this forum.

Rod
Attached Thumbnails
Stirling Moss Trophy (Donington) 2011 Craner Curves.jpg  
begbier is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Apr 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3056740)   #48
Philbel
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Belgium
Ardenne
Posts: 9
Philbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
p.s. I have enough photos to do a similar write-up on Alan Patterson's MkIV (100/87) if there's sufficient interest.[/QUOTE]

Hi britishv8,
I'm working on a register, specially on 100/94, i would appreciate, thanks
Philbel is offline  
Quote
Old 15 Apr 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3059458)   #49
Zagato_Olaf
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Netherlands
Bussum, The Netherlands
Posts: 8
Zagato_Olaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Elva book

Dear members,

Did you read the book "Elva, The cars, The people, The history" written by Janos Wimpffen? It was published in the latter part of 2011 by David Bull.
I saw it in January of 2012 at Autolandhilversum in The Netherlands.

Ciao! Olaf
Zagato_Olaf is offline  
Quote
Old 15 Apr 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3059492)   #50
henk4
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Posts: 2,129
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato_Olaf View Post
Dear members,

Did you read the book "Elva, The cars, The people, The history" written by Janos Wimpffen? It was published in the latter part of 2011 by David Bull.
I saw it in January of 2012 at Autolandhilversum in The Netherlands.

Ciao! Olaf
It is a very nice book.
The problem with the Wimpfen book however is that it does not contain detailed chassis listings, and model specs. Race results have been meticulously examined, but you need to buy a specific annex for those.
henk4 is offline  
__________________
pieter melissen
Quote
Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:53 (Ref:3060772)   #51
PeterMorley
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
United Kingdom
Belgium
Posts: 952
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
It is a very nice book.
The problem with the Wimpfen book however is that it does not contain detailed chassis listings, and model specs. Race results have been meticulously examined, but you need to buy a specific annex for those.
The intention was to include that in the book but there was simply so much information that it would have required a second volume for the results listings - there are over 500 pages of results listings (e.g. over 10,000 results!).
But you don't have to buy it, it is available as a pdf for free from the publishers, e-mail them with proof of purchase and they will send you a link to download it.
PeterMorley is offline  
Quote
Old 17 Apr 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3060790)   #52
begbier
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2003
United Kingdom
Posts: 20
begbier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
The intention was to include that in the book but there was simply so much information that it would have required a second volume for the results listings - there are over 500 pages of results listings (e.g. over 10,000 results!).
But you don't have to buy it, it is available as a pdf for free from the publishers, e-mail them with proof of purchase and they will send you a link to download it.
And one advantage of having the results listings as an electronic Appendix is that they can be updated as and when corrections arre identified and new information comes to light.
begbier is offline  
Quote
Old 17 Apr 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3061020)   #53
henk4
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Posts: 2,129
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
The intention was to include that in the book but there was simply so much information that it would have required a second volume for the results listings - there are over 500 pages of results listings (e.g. over 10,000 results!).
But you don't have to buy it, it is available as a pdf for free from the publishers, e-mail them with proof of purchase and they will send you a link to download it.
Peter,yes, I know all this, I bought my copy at Laguna Seca last year, signed by Moss, Jonas and Bruce McCaw. Jonas advised me how to obtain the annex. My point was that what is missing is a concise overview (with specs) of all models and some insight in the system of chassis numbering, preferably related to the (stllexisiting) cars.
henk4 is offline  
__________________
pieter melissen
Quote
Old 18 Feb 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3206962)   #54
John Lindsay
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 38
John Lindsay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ELVA MK 2 / 3 100/49 Bill Hinshaw's comments

From Bill Hinshaw
First, I think the chassis # 100/49 was on a serial plate mounted to the firewall. However, I once looked into the Elva Owners' website and it was shown as having been once mine but listed as a Mk2. According to Rod Carveth (deceased some 10 years now but once the Elva distributor for this area and a friend of Carl Haas in Chicago, the U.S. importer) the factory did not receive new Mk3 ID plates in time to put them on the cars and so used surplus Mk 2 plates instead with the new Mk3 numbers stamped in.

The first owner, I believe, was a San Francisco social worker named Dan Abbott, who ran the car very unsuccessfully in 1960. Not the car's fault, either, but Dan did his best to stay out of the way, at least. He sold it to Bob Potter, an SCCA driver and used car trader in Oakland. I found it sitting on a trailer at the back of Bob's lot and traded a salvaged Morgan +4 for it. My first run with it was on Sunday at the Stockton event in early '61, my Porsche entry having expired in the Ladies' Race on Saturday. I had done no prep work at all on the Elva and subsequently found that it overheated quickly and so I retired it.

It wasn't until later in "61 that I got a chance to work on the engine, and found on removal of the cyl. head that two of the liners had sunk into the block. Since I had already entered the car for a race at Cotati I took a shortcut "Joe McGee" fix and cut shims from old coffee can lids and stuck them to the tops of the sunken liners with aluminum spray paint and then laid a head gasket on top of that. Amazingly the car seemed to run quite well as we did tests up & down the alley behind Rod Carveth's shop.

Saturday at Cotati came and the car proved a reasonable contender to season's points-leader John Miller in his Lotus Eleven but the clutch was failing fast. That night a shop owner in Santa Rosa made his place available and a group of friends & I installed a new clutch - an MGTD or A, I think - and on Sunday we had a new winner. Miller and I were both equally amazed. Shortly thereafter the Elva Mk6 was announced and I ordered one through Carveth. By December the Mk3 was sold to a guy from Salt Lake City. I should have kept it.
Bill Hinshaw
John Lindsay is offline  
Quote
Old 23 Dec 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3487423)   #55
Rupertlt1
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 124
Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1962 Bish Hines competed in the Glen Classic; Grand National race in Ontario; Giants Despair Hill Climb at Wilkes Barre, Pa; and Mid-Ohio Race at Mansfield; Queen Catharine Cup at Watkins Glen.


Competition Press, Vol 10-No.7 April 13, 1963:
ELVA Mk III, red, limited use, exceptionally
clean and original, one race on Stage 3 Cli-
max, details, photos available, delivery ar-
ranged, Realistically priced, $2200 firm, Bish
Hines Jr., 550 S. Transit St., Lockport, N.Y.
(716) HF 4-7403

Last edited by Rupertlt1; 23 Dec 2014 at 17:01. Reason: Added info.
Rupertlt1 is offline  
Quote
Old 23 Dec 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3487456)   #56
Rupertlt1
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 124
Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lindsay View Post
From Bill Hinshaw
First, I think the chassis # 100/49 was on a serial plate mounted to the firewall. However, I once looked into the Elva Owners' website and it was shown as having been once mine but listed as a Mk2. According to Rod Carveth (deceased some 10 years now but once the Elva distributor for this area and a friend of Carl Haas in Chicago, the U.S. importer) the factory did not receive new Mk3 ID plates in time to put them on the cars and so used surplus Mk 2 plates instead with the new Mk3 numbers stamped in.

The first owner, I believe, was a San Francisco social worker named Dan Abbott, who ran the car very unsuccessfully in 1960. Not the car's fault, either, but Dan did his best to stay out of the way, at least. He sold it to Bob Potter, an SCCA driver and used car trader in Oakland. I found it sitting on a trailer at the back of Bob's lot and traded a salvaged Morgan +4 for it. My first run with it was on Sunday at the Stockton event in early '61, my Porsche entry having expired in the Ladies' Race on Saturday. I had done no prep work at all on the Elva and subsequently found that it overheated quickly and so I retired it.

It wasn't until later in "61 that I got a chance to work on the engine, and found on removal of the cyl. head that two of the liners had sunk into the block. Since I had already entered the car for a race at Cotati I took a shortcut "Joe McGee" fix and cut shims from old coffee can lids and stuck them to the tops of the sunken liners with aluminum spray paint and then laid a head gasket on top of that. Amazingly the car seemed to run quite well as we did tests up & down the alley behind Rod Carveth's shop.

Saturday at Cotati came and the car proved a reasonable contender to season's points-leader John Miller in his Lotus Eleven but the clutch was failing fast. That night a shop owner in Santa Rosa made his place available and a group of friends & I installed a new clutch - an MGTD or A, I think - and on Sunday we had a new winner. Miller and I were both equally amazed. Shortly thereafter the Elva Mk6 was announced and I ordered one through Carveth. By December the Mk3 was sold to a guy from Salt Lake City. I should have kept it.
Bill Hinshaw
Competition Press, Vol 10-No.7 April 13, 1963:
ELVA GM 1150-cc Coventry Climax, just rebuilt,
stage 4 and polished. 4 firsts, 5 tries, '62
trailer and spares. $2600 or offer. Inquiries
invited. Sid Horman, 1245 Lake St., Salt Lake
5, Utah. IN 7-4082.
Rupertlt1 is offline  
Quote
Old 23 Dec 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3487512)   #57
Rupertlt1
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 124
Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupertlt1 View Post

ELVA Mk III, red, limited use, exceptionally
clean and original, one race on Stage 3 Cli-
max, details, photos available, delivery ar-
ranged, Realistically priced, $2200 firm, Bish
Hines Jr., 550 S. Transit St., Lockport, N.Y.
(716) HF 4-7403
Correction - Ref should be:
Competition Press, Vol 10-No.6 March 30, 1963.
Rupertlt1 is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Oct 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3578972)   #58
hisbn1
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11
hisbn1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva MK IV/V upright needed

I own MK IV #100-86 and during one of the sessions at the recent Elva reunion in New Jersey the lower strut/arm off of the left rear upright casting sheared at the hub. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might have a lead on a replacement part.

I have seen photos of the rear suspension of a MK V and it looks like Elva saw fit to reinforce this piece in steel. I wonder if anyone knows or has any thoughts on whether the hub carrier/upright from a MK V might fit a MK IV. If so it would seem that this would be a worthy upgrade.

Thanks in advance--Michael Oritt
michael.oritt (at) gmail.com
hisbn1 is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Mar 2018, 03:46 (Ref:3805381)   #59
MichaelOritt
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
MichaelOritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva Mk 3, 4 and 5

What has happened to this forum?
Why have there not been any posts in several years?
(Yes, I know I have not contributed any but that is not my point....)
MichaelOritt is offline  
Quote
Old 29 Aug 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3846902)   #60
Jay Laifman
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
United States
So Cal
Posts: 22
Jay Laifman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm adding one here - even though I don't have a Mk3-5. We just bought a Mk6 and are trying to track its history. The factory notes say that the first purchaser was "HOUNTINGLY." We suspect this is not a real name. We understand these names were handwritten by someone after hearing the names orally. One current thought is that this was really something like "Hun-Ting Lee." We also note that an early Mk6 (60/06) was sold to a "LEE." So perhaps this is the same person. We're also told that these names could be the actual buyer, or a shop that is getting the car for the buyer, or an employee at the shop.

As an aside, another possibility we explored was "Hunton Ganley" for "Hountingly" the racer from New Zealand, who in 1962 wrecked his Lotus 11, needing a new car, and moved to the UK - so a possibility. However, I actually spoke with Hunton, and it wasn't him.

The reason I'm posting here is that I'm wondering if there might be a "Lee" who purchased an earlier Elva, and I might be able to get more information on him.

I am ordering the book. But my family is always struggling to find a birthday present for me. So they are insisting that they get this for me, but wait until my birthday. So I can't search the race results to see if any show a "Lee" or "Hong-Ting Lee" or something similar. I have searched racingsportscars.com with no luck. The Watkins Glen archives did not have anything either.

Also, one other question. So many of these cars were sold out of Haas in Chicago. Are there any former Haas employees still around? I'd love to ask them if they might remember Hountingly or Lee at their shop.
Jay Laifman is offline  
Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elva Mk 1 & 2 PeterMorley The Chassis History Archive 79 26 Jul 2021 13:41
Elva Mk 7 & 8 RAP The Chassis History Archive 38 25 Nov 2015 02:53
Elva MK4? LoLola Motorsport History 13 17 Jun 2009 21:53
Elva 1957 MK.II 100/40 ninoxxx Motorsport History 1 21 May 2007 15:50
Elva Mk1 francoisb Motorsport History 20 23 Apr 2007 09:25


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2021 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.