Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 May 2003, 21:34 (Ref:605327)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is/was anyone a fan of both Hakkinen and M Schumacher

I liked them both myself because I liked the way they put on a great show, especially in the last part of 2000, and the way they respected each other. That's how I feel a good rivalry should be. We could do with another one like that as soon as possible. Montoya Vs Raikkonen perhaps?

But is anyone else here a fan of both Michael Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen?
Old 20 May 2003, 21:43 (Ref:605337)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
No, although i always wanted Mika to beat Michael when their battles commenced, but never been a fan of either!
Old 20 May 2003, 21:48 (Ref:605340)   #3
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Both Schumi and Mika were my favorite drivers. Although it's fair to say that I am mostly a Schumacher fan, I can honestly say that I was genuinely glad every time Mika won the WDC because he had worked so hard for so long for it and his enormous talent and speed had finally been rewarded. Both Michael and Mika have shown enormous grace and steadfastness under pressure as well as a human side. About thir private lives, Mika and Michael both have been good family men who have fully deserved the titles they won on the track and the admiration of their fans overall.

Old 20 May 2003, 21:52 (Ref:605342)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was maybe back in 1992 ??....I like Michael alot as he burst on the scene with bucket loads of talent ........and Mika Was a Lotus driver at the time , and i always followed all the Lotus drivers in all races .
Old 20 May 2003, 21:55 (Ref:605346)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
and i always followed all the Lotus drivers in all races .
Especially johnny Herbert
Old 20 May 2003, 22:08 (Ref:605360)   #6
red5
Rookie

Germany
Germany
red5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm also a fan of both drivers!
i'm a Ferrari fan since 1982, but these two drivers are a special kind of excelent racers. We have seen a lot of great races between them.

And by the way, i've found some very good friends which are thinking the same.
I miss Mika, and sometimes i will miss Michael as well.
Old 20 May 2003, 22:47 (Ref:605400)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome red5!

I liked them both as well. Different styles but very professional in their approach. Always looked forward to those post race interviews. Michael trying to be funny in English and Mika, well Mika trying to answer all questions with a word, a shrug and the odd glance at the questioner.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 May 2003, 00:27 (Ref:605450)   #8
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Is/was anyone a fan of both Hakkinen and M Schumacher

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
Montoya Vs Raikkonen perhaps?
No, but I can see Alonso vs Raikkonen. Montoya is too much of a prick.

It was pretty apparant that Michael had rather high level of respect for Mika. Thus you shouldn't be surprised to see some Schumacher fans take a liking to Mika too.
Old 21 May 2003, 01:06 (Ref:605461)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika was always my favourite, Schumacher my least favourite. I very much enjoyed those great battles between 1998 and 2001. Some of my greatest F1 memories are from races like Spa '00, Europe '00, Britain '01, Hungary '98, and many others. It made for great watching. For me it was the hero versus the enemey, and they were titanic battles at times, that I enjoyed.
Old 21 May 2003, 02:35 (Ref:605497)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hell no. I supported Mika for years and was always hoping he would beat TGF.
Old 21 May 2003, 02:44 (Ref:605501)   #11
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were my two favourites but I always wanted Mika to win And he did, at last....

97 was a horrible year for me... SO MANY ENGINE BLOWUPS WHILE LEADING
Old 21 May 2003, 07:55 (Ref:605614)   #12
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the great thing between the battles and rivalry, that there was very rarely a war of words and on track there were quality fights. The thing is, they both respected each other as drivers and people, something which i hope is still with use, and will not leave the sport.
Old 21 May 2003, 09:03 (Ref:605676)   #13
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes - and I used to get hate mail from other McLaren fans because of it. One person even went as far as writing to the team and suggesting that I should have my membership of the team cancelled for being a "traitor". Unfortunately, I know more people at the team than he did - I'm still a member and he isn't!!!

I have always been a staunch Mika supporter and a staunch supporter of Michael. Very few people understood me as a result. I loved their on-track battles, I love their off-track conversations, I loved joking with Mika about Michael and vice versa and I always looked forward to their press conferences together when they went through their comedy routine of trying to terrorise the interviewer as much as possible (and frequently succeeding!)

I would cheer for Mika first, but if he didn't win then Michael usually did. The two best drivers in F1 at the time fighting it out - wins by either of them meant more because they fought each other, e.g. the best!
Old 21 May 2003, 09:13 (Ref:605685)   #14
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, fan of both.
Two years ago on ITV F1, Martin Brundle did an in-depth analysis of their driving styles. Wonderfully written, you had to come out with total respect for both of them.
To win any championship and especially world championships, you have to give a bit of your inner self whatever the sport; rowing, running or motor racing. There were times when Mika looked like there was a limit on how many times he could wring the McLaren's neck, and get away with it.
Old 21 May 2003, 10:58 (Ref:605759)   #15
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was never a fan of TGF,
Old 21 May 2003, 10:59 (Ref:605761)   #16
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was never a fan of TGF, but I did kind of a support him - until Adelaide '94.

Mika is still my all time favorite.

sorry about the double post - I honestly don't know how it happenned

Last edited by ljakse; 21 May 2003 at 11:01.
Old 21 May 2003, 18:33 (Ref:606151)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was a huge fan of Mika back to the Lotus days. Never could abide That German Fellow, though.
Old 21 May 2003, 19:23 (Ref:606211)   #18
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah. Love Mika, loathe TGF.
Old 22 May 2003, 00:24 (Ref:606431)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like them both because of their respective styles, in car and on camera. mike always smiled that sardonic smile as if he pittied everyone when he was racing. TGF well as he is a true talent and real legend in F1 ne- all racing he is a marvel to watch. in comparo Mika's driving always seemed sterile and less emotional, but so precise-remeber when Shumi lost that wheel into the back of (was it trulli?) and he three wheel it to the pits as blinding fast as he did on 4, such passion and emotion i love it. where was that anyway- Spa?
Old 22 May 2003, 07:15 (Ref:606516)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He ran into DC at Spa.

I never thought Mika's style was sterile, quite the opposite, rarely has there been a more commited driver. Especially in qualifying.
Old 22 May 2003, 08:06 (Ref:606541)   #21
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen was a badboy in the fast corners. Flat-out indeed. I think JPM is similar in style but a few years away from perfection.
Old 24 May 2003, 09:22 (Ref:608571)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm a big Ferrari fan so when Mika and Michael were battling it out I hated Mika's guts (in '98, '99 and 2000, at least). I hated Mika's lack of emotion when he won which was in stark contrast to Michaels genuine joy. How I laughed at Monza '99 when Mika threw a tantrum.
To be fair though their battles were thrilling, tense, close and always very sporting.And now that Mika's retired, well I, yer know, miss him. The sport misses him.
Never mind. Kimi's taking over his mantle soon!
Old 24 May 2003, 09:23 (Ref:608573)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qualifying misses Mika most.
Old 24 May 2003, 15:11 (Ref:608734)   #24
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely..I admire both Michael and Mika and their respect for one another. Even during their cut throat battle for the title in 2000, both managed to maintain a healthy relationship on track.

Mika was very quick when he had his concentration going...Michael is probably the more complete F1 champion..still I admire both of them. It's sad that Mika has retired but at least he won two brilliant championships and ended up being the best champion of the 90's.
Old 25 May 2003, 03:24 (Ref:609170)   #25
daviopolo
Rookie

daviopolo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a big Hakkinen fan and I also admire and like watching Michael Schumacher. So yes, but then again any excellent racing driver is worth watching and being a fan of. I was a fan of Senna, Alboreto for ages Mansell was good to watch but not that good Prost was better and more admirable. I never overlook drivers who are in bad cars too.