Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 27 Mar 2009, 07:28 (Ref:2425896)   #101
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The series is in its 4th season now, and started well before the current economic problems, and in fact during a period of "easy money". Unfortunately too many teams saw the series as an easy ride and did not prioritise the marketing of there teams while A1 was funding them. In fact the first two seasons A1 put in a tremendous effort into the marketing and hospitality side of the show to give the teams something to sell. Most just took advantage of these facilities. Pity.

GB franchise was never paid for and "seat holders" were just subs until a finacial purchaser could be found. I think that you may find that GB's biggest debtor is A1GP and there are several teams in the same position. All sound a bit fishy if A1 are now taking over the running. I bet there is no change in team stucture and it is only the teams current creditors who loose out.. CREATIVE ACOUNTING
Old 27 Mar 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2425969)   #102
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who are the creditors that have been burnt then?
Old 27 Mar 2009, 10:09 (Ref:2425995)   #103
Mak
Veteran

At a guess suppliers, service providers and perhaps some staff.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2426012)   #104
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe even drivers owed wages and prize money
Old 27 Mar 2009, 11:48 (Ref:2426052)   #105
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm not sure anyone's been paid prize money from last year, drivers or not.

with a lot of teams i'm astounded by the lack of basic maths and business sense that happens.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2426246)   #106
Andrew Volcker
Rookie

Andrew Volcker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again it's a shame gossip is causing such chaos within motorsport... whether it's F1 or A1! I don't think any of us have the facts yet about this administration and I'm sure most of the truths will come out over time. What I do know from my contacts within A1 is that Team GBR is not in administration - what is, is a company called A1 GP UK. As far as I know the company had a number of shareholders, some of which have decided to leave due to personal financial reasons and this is the reason for what is going on. Tony Clements has been left with no choice but to re-structure the team, which as far as I know is unaffected in it's operational affairs. With regard to his daughter, she was left with picking up the pieces from the outrageous spending in the first couple of seasons & has had to cut costs left, right and centre whilst trying to run the team and get money in from sponsors and other parties. I don’t know anything about the drivers situation but surely the question is, who on earth would offer to pay drivers in the early stages of a series, particularly when drivers normally pay the teams!!! Team GBR has been one of the most consistent in A1 – obviously this year has been a disappointment but most of that is because they got their car so late. I look forward to some positive news and seeing Team GBR on the grid for Portugal and Brands Hatch! Lastly, has anyone heard the rumor about a possible race in Mexico?
Old 27 Mar 2009, 17:33 (Ref:2426296)   #107
Mak
Veteran

Yes to the Mexico rumour.. After Brands as last race. Maybe some contractual obligations to run at least 8 rounds???
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2426315)   #108
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Andrew, you sound like you know Katie Clements very well

There is supposed to be massive prize money on offer for the teams, and GBR won a LOT of it in the first three seasons. It should be easy enough to pay drivers proportional to the winnings.

No doubt we'll be reading about it if drivers are unpaid and now screwed by this administration ...
Old 27 Mar 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2426357)   #109
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab View Post

There is supposed to be massive prize money on offer for the teams, and GBR won a LOT of it in the first three seasons. It should be easy enough to pay drivers proportional to the winnings.

No doubt we'll be reading about it if drivers are unpaid and now screwed by this administration ...

Can't blame team GBR for this, all are still waiting for the 07/08 prize money from A1. This does not just effect the drivers as most teams include a % of prize monies for team personel as part of their work contracts. I guess they felt it better spent with Ferrari!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2426360)   #110
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'm not sure anyone's been paid prize money from last year, drivers or not.

with a lot of teams i'm astounded by the lack of basic maths and business sense that happens.
That is probably true for the whole world of finance
Old 27 Mar 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2426441)   #111
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Much like the latest dispute between the FIA and the Formula One Teams Association, if stories are to be be believed. It must be fashionable.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 06:45 (Ref:2426738)   #112
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A question is why don't the team issue a press announcement to tell what's going on and stop the negative speculation?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2426942)   #113
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The lack of communication from the team suggests that either they don't have a Press Officer or they're simply lost; and that's being polite.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2430648)   #114
Andrew Volcker
Rookie

Andrew Volcker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not well, but I have met her once or twice. Regards to the GBR team I just think they've been dealt a pretty tricky hand with sponsors walking away and having their car delivered late at the beginning of this year. From what I've heard from my sources within motorsport in general they're working day and night to ensure a positive future for the series and the team. I think if the series survives the financial melt-down, then GBR will be back to the front of the grid next season.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2437554)   #115
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pay driver alert!

Dan Clarke will drive the British car for the last 3 rounds of the season - perhaps he will be paying the team's bills after their apparent administration. Although I'm disappointed that we haven't got Watts back (I think he is a very good talent), if Clarke helps save the team then I don't mind really. Better that Team GBR finishes in 10th than doesn't finish the season at all.

Last edited by kerrmanningjarv; 9 Apr 2009 at 16:53. Reason: Typo! oops
Old 9 Apr 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2437617)   #116
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
At least, we THINK he's a pay driver... don't know for sure .
Old 9 Apr 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2437670)   #117
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would Team GBR run him if he wasn't bringing much needed dosh............?
Old 9 Apr 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2437730)   #118
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
... which I suppose is why Danny Watts got the boot - he's got a family to support so probably wants paying. Clarke, meanwhile, is desperate to get back into racing so probably isn't so fussy.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2437738)   #119
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But... Dan Clarke is nowhere for last two years, I bet he ain't got money, he's not bringing money. My guess is, Watts was retained by Lechner, or is doing Supercup with other team along his Strakka Racing duties. If it's not for money, or Danny's decision to withdraw... it's strange deciosn. Clarke is nowhere near Watts in terms of skills, talent and... mileage.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2437761)   #120
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrmanningjarv View Post
At least, we THINK he's a pay driver... don't know for sure .
He has, or certainly had, the backing of the music impresario, Chas Cole. I can't think of any other reason why he should get another chance.
Old 9 Apr 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2437778)   #121
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
Yes, Tony Jardine mentioned Chas a lot on the Sky Sports coverage in Taupo - presumably that's a big factor.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 02:48 (Ref:2437832)   #122
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the reason, it's a shame as Watts seems a character and a thoroughly decent bloke as well as being an excellent driver, the kind of ambassador that A1GP could use.

Dan Clarke on the other hand doesn't do anything for me, this interview reads like "I don't want to make excuses but here are my excuses..." http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=43662
I think really good drivers can be quick straight away, like Adam Carroll, Filipe Albuquerque and Danny Watts were.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2437991)   #123
Keyfabe
Rookie

England
Leeds
Keyfabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Clarke would be better off concentrating on driving instead of clowning about handing everyone hats with his daft helmet design on, looks like team GBR are snookered now, Anthony Davidson would be great in that car.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2438008)   #124
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyfabe View Post
Dan Clarke would be better off concentrating on driving instead of clowning about handing everyone hats with his daft helmet design on, looks like team GBR are snookered now, Anthony Davidson would be great in that car.
Exactly. They don't even have anyone out in the rookie sessions this morning. I shall be supporting Team Ireland. Adam is a great guy and a fine driver, too.

I suspect Switzerland will be hard to beat, though.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2438010)   #125
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
Clarke did the 2nd part of rookie session, with A1 bending their rules to allow Clarke and Liuzzi to run. Supposedly Champ Car and F1 drivers aren't rookies this season... .