Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Aug 2019, 07:39 (Ref:3922942)   #4426
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just another quick thought on this Baub. Now, I would never suggest that you sir could have done something silly like leaving the lights on but, just check that the boot light (if your model has such a thing) is going out when the door is closed. (I'm assuming you have a Corsa hatchback, so this is easy to check either by tilting the rear seat backs forward or removing the rear parcel shelf so you can see into the luggage compartment when the hatch is closed. If your car has a real boot you will have to find yourself a trusting soul who is prepared to climb into the boot and let you then close it to see if it goes dark!). Another possibility could be a light in the glovebox not going out, but this is more difficult to check. Either of these staying on overnight would be enough to flatten your battery.
This rings true with problems on our car previously.
Had some bodywork done, and the rear hatch (estate car) was left open overnight after the paint was baked. The battery was in good health before the work, but the draining of the battery completely killed it. Only fixed by a new battery being installed.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3922943)   #4427
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Worked on a lot of Imps in my time Mike and I never saw one with a cable, they all hydraulic Mind you my memory isn't what it was

As you say, memories aren't what they used to be!

Prior to the Imp, I was the proud owner of a Renault Dauphine, and it must have been that car that was the problem.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 07:56 (Ref:3922944)   #4428
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
We often get HGV drivers in our place that can't drive a manual truck, I wonder how they'd ever get on if given something with a Fuller Roadranger box or similar.
I wonder how they would get on with an Alvis Stalwart - 6 wheel drive and no differential!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Stalwart
Old 16 Aug 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3922946)   #4429
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This rings true with problems on our car previously.
Had some bodywork done, and the rear hatch (estate car) was left open overnight after the paint was baked. The battery was in good health before the work, but the draining of the battery completely killed it. Only fixed by a new battery being installed.
Since taking the lead out of batteries they have become far less resilient. Quite often a 'dead' battery can be brought back to life using a special charger which will run it through a cycle of charging/discharging, it's almost as if they need to be taught how to hold their charge again!
Old 16 Aug 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3922953)   #4430
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, if (and that’s not confirmed) you have a dead cell you can charge as much as you like, but the battery still won’t start the car. Soon as it gets a heavy / starter load the plates will warp and it will lose continuity.......
Old 16 Aug 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3922954)   #4431
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Since taking the lead out of batteries they have become far less resilient. Quite often a 'dead' battery can be brought back to life using a special charger which will run it through a cycle of charging/discharging, it's almost as if they need to be taught how to hold their charge again!
I have heard of this before and there are numerous videos on YouTube that claim to be able to "recover" dead batteries by some sort of regeneration process based on eliminating (by reversing) the deposit build up on the plates that causes the eventual degradation.

Nominally all of the plates will be affected equally but of course there always has to be one cell that will fail first and the loss of a single cell is enough to reduce the available power. No matter how the cell connections are designed the chances are that if the battery installed is well matched (i.e. not over specified) for the demands of the engine start procedure the loss of a cell is more than enough to prevent the car starting and rapidly drain whatever charge is available by repeated attempts. Still usually enough power to show some lights (especially if LED) but not much else.

I have never tried regeneration suggestions on the basis that the batteries I have changed were all about 6 or 7 years old and the cars were rarely taking long runs so battery charging cycles were not ideal. I decided that 6 or 7 years was probably a reasonable return on the price and replacement avoided the chance of further repeats of the inconvenient failures.

Matching the battery specification to the power demands for starting the vehicle is important especially for longevity of the battery at its rated performance level.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 09:42 (Ref:3922955)   #4432
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I’ve done that with my ‘intelligent’ charger. Fitted new battery to the truck generator, left the old one on the charger in recovery mode and it’s now seemingly perfect again. Lucky it wasn’t an expensive battery!
Old 16 Aug 2019, 09:46 (Ref:3922956)   #4433
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
My favourite time waster- the local Classic auction website.... https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/clas...h-august-2019/

Something for everyone on there- a Viva for Viv, Panda Sisley for Gary, 3.0CS for JT, and even a Fregate ‘Transfluide’ or C6 for Gerard!

My choice would be the Pug 505GTi though, but shame it’s not a manual......
Old 16 Aug 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3922958)   #4434
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
My favourite time waster- the local Classic auction website.... https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/clas...h-august-2019/

Something for everyone on there- a Viva for Viv, Panda Sisley for Gary, 3.0CS for JT, and even a Fregate ‘Transfluide’ or C6 for Gerard!

That Panda looks quite tidy. I like the Fulvia as well, very nice.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 10:17 (Ref:3922959)   #4435
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice looking BMW 1602 as well.

Even with the dings the E Type looks a good buy.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3922960)   #4436
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Nice looking BMW 1602 as well.

Even with the dings the E Type looks a good buy.
I’d probably lose the splitter off the Beemer, though! That E is good value if it goes for the estimate......
Old 16 Aug 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3922968)   #4437
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Some interesting 'tin' there Mike, but was an entertaining launch time browse. I'm strangely attracted towards one of the automatic BMC cars, Mini or 1300...
Old 16 Aug 2019, 13:02 (Ref:3922969)   #4438
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking at previous auctions the selling price has been pretty close to the estimates.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3922973)   #4439
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much for a Morris Marina?!!!!
Quite like the Alfa GTV and the BMW 840 myself. And “no reserve” on a Renault GTA V6 turbo is also interesting.

Last edited by andy97; 16 Aug 2019 at 13:29.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3922975)   #4440
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Up-date;

Battery charged, car started, ran it round to Danny, who put a meter across it, idling and under load, and al is well. Saving me a minimum of £40 for a replacement (normal price £65.00)

Apparently Corsa's have problem with the instrument panel that was subject of a recall some years ago, a small plug at the rear can become loose or fall out leading to problems. Replacement about £400, and second hand ones are no good as they have to be programmed to the car. From his own experience with his daughters Corsa he found a similar problem to mine. The blue warning light when on full beam had not gone out and drained the battery overnight. Dropping the panel and pushing the plug in cured it. I will need to keep an eye on any warning light when leaving the car for long periods.

Perhaps I have had a warning; I drove too Silverstone for the Bentley Drivers club meeting, and quickly realised the instrument panel was not working. Speedo, rev counter, oil, petrol gauges all dead. I assumed a fuse had blown, but when I drove home all was back to normal. I will arrange to have the panel plug checked.

Thanks again for your advises, it is good to have friends.

Kind regards,

Uncle bauble.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3922976)   #4441
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Glad you're sorted, Bob, and it wasn't as costly as could have been!

interesting about the wiring plug. Modern cars!
Old 16 Aug 2019, 13:41 (Ref:3922977)   #4442
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

A friend had already told me about the Renault Fregate but I had not looked at the rest until now. Since the two Elans are out of my price range I would be more than happy with the Alfa 159. I'm currently contemplating a GT Coupe.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3922978)   #4443
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Some interesting 'tin' there Mike, but was an entertaining lunch time browse. I'm strangely attracted towards one of the automatic BMC cars, Mini or 1300...
The auto Mini Traveller probably a safe investment, but I rather like the 2dr Austin 1300. Easy to forget how well the model sold in period, and how few there are now!

How about the V6 Alfa 159 Q4? Think that means 4wd..... Would that still have the 'Busso' engine, or a newer generation lump?
Old 16 Aug 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3922980)   #4444
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

How about the V6 Alfa 159 Q4? Think that means 4wd..... Would that still have the 'Busso' engine, or a newer generation lump?
Definitely 4wd. Without looking at the details again, i suspect its a 3.2 litre V6 very strongly related to the Vauxhall engine. One for Bauble - Italian style, GM horses.

And interestingly (or not) Audi paid Alfa good money for the right to exclusive use of the Q designation about 5 years ago(ish).
Old 16 Aug 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3922982)   #4445
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Definitely 4wd. Without looking at the details again, i suspect its a 3.2 litre V6 very strongly related to the Vauxhall engine. One for Bauble - Italian style, GM horses.

And interestingly (or not) Audi paid Alfa good money for the right to exclusive use of the Q designation about 5 years ago(ish).
Mmm, if it’s not. proper Alfa engine, then no.... Related to a GM engine? What were they thinking!

The Saab Carlsson is a rare beast.....
Old 16 Aug 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3922983)   #4446
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Mmm, if it’s not. proper Alfa engine, then no.... Related to a GM engine? What were they thinking!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_JTS_engine

GM Australia apparently.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 15:16 (Ref:3922989)   #4447
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

The Saab Carlsson is a rare beast.....
I hope they don't have a problem with the dash.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3922990)   #4448
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I hope they don't have a problem with the dash.
Alfa electrics are a mystery that defy physics.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3922991)   #4449
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Up-date;

Battery charged, car started, ran it round to Danny, who put a meter across it, idling and under load, and al is well. Saving me a minimum of £40 for a replacement (normal price £65.00)

Apparently Corsa's have problem with the instrument panel that was subject of a recall some years ago, a small plug at the rear can become loose or fall out leading to problems. Replacement about £400, and second hand ones are no good as they have to be programmed to the car. From his own experience with his daughters Corsa he found a similar problem to mine. The blue warning light when on full beam had not gone out and drained the battery overnight. Dropping the panel and pushing the plug in cured it. I will need to keep an eye on any warning light when leaving the car for long periods.

Perhaps I have had a warning; I drove too Silverstone for the Bentley Drivers club meeting, and quickly realised the instrument panel was not working. Speedo, rev counter, oil, petrol gauges all dead. I assumed a fuse had blown, but when I drove home all was back to normal. I will arrange to have the panel plug checked.

Thanks again for your advises, it is good to have friends.

Kind regards,

Uncle bauble.
Glad to hear you're all sorted now baub.
So, we can now return to the more usual hostile service I presume?
Old 16 Aug 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3922998)   #4450
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
When I look through the cars on that particular auction site, those with local (Norfolk, Norwich or Gt Yarmouth) registrations are always of particular interest. This time, there’s at least 4, including the A35, TR3A, VX 4/90 and Viva. Luckily I can’t afford to bid for any of them