Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 8 Apr 2003, 17:02 (Ref:562977)   #1
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Car Makers: Who Owns What?

I have never been able to figure out who (the car makers) own what (the brands) in the world. I know that Ford owns Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, Volvo, and half of Mazda. I know that DaimlerChrysler owns Mercedes, Dodge, and Jeep. General Motors owns a lot of brands around the world, but many of them are just the same car rebadged. A Chevy in England is a Vauxhall, in mainland Europe an Opel, and in Australia a Holden, right? Besides that, I am clueless. Can somebody give me a complete list of the world's carmakers and the brands they own?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 18:21 (Ref:563042)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh god, werido Yank car brands... um.. hang on...

"A Chevy in England is a Vauxhall, in mainland Europe an Opel, and in Australia a Holden, right?"

No. All are owned by GM, but Vauxhalls and Opels are the same thing (as you say, Opels are marketed in the UK as Vauxhalls). Holdens are different all together, despite some obvious parts sharing. Saab and Subaru are also in the mix in the same way, the current Saab range based on Opel platforms and the future Saabs likely to simply be rebadged Subarus.

As for the rest, you know VAG, right?? PSA?? FIAT (though they may soon be taken over by GM. Here's hoping not!!)?? Anyway, they're the other big groups I can think of.

VAG
Base - VW
Up-market - Audi
Young/sporty - Seat
Budget - Skoda
Sports - Lamborghini
$$$ - Bentley
$$$$$ - Bugatti

PSA - Peugeot, Citroen, Talbot.

FIAT

Base - FIAT
Sporty - Alfa Romeo
Luxury - Lancia
Sports - Ferrari
Sports/luxury - Maserati
Old 8 Apr 2003, 21:14 (Ref:563270)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rover own's Rover and MG.......
Old 8 Apr 2003, 22:18 (Ref:563372)   #4
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't ford also own Land Rover? And i recall seeing a Holden Vectra racing at Bathurst one year. Also don't Renault now own Nissan?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 22:37 (Ref:563387)   #5
Se7en
Rookie

Se7en should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford also own Jaguar, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Tickford and a stake of Cosworth.

Renault and Nissan are now one and the same.

GM owns a significant stake of Suzuki and most of Isuzu.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 22:38 (Ref:563388)   #6
Se7en
Rookie

Se7en should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That'll teach me to take so long to type a post! Sorry Kristof!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 04:11 (Ref:563494)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ownership wises, that covers a lot of ground.

GM owns like 20% of Fiat, 100% of Daewoo,
Hyundai owns Kia.

Then there are platform alliances, DCM (Daimler,Chrysler, Mitsu) signed an agreement with Hyundai to jointly build a small vehicle a while back. I don't know what will happen now that GM has bought Daewoo. They will sell rebadged Daewoos as Chevys/Suzukis in '04.

Daimler also owns something like 12% of Ssangyong(sp??), a Taiwanese or Korean auto company if I recall correctly.

And that's not taking into account parts sharing yet. With Jag using BMW sourced transmissions and BMW using GM sourced transmission in their 3 series. BMW/Chrysler joint engine plant in South America.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 05:14 (Ref:563513)   #8
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A funny thing about Chevy snd GMC trucks and SUVs is that they are mage on the same assembly line. In fact, sometimes when they arive at a dealership for sale, one side of the vehicle may have Chevy emblems, while the other side may have GMC emblems!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 06:26 (Ref:563550)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by bcobbus
A funny thing about Chevy snd GMC trucks and SUVs is that they are mage on the same assembly line. In fact, sometimes when they arive at a dealership for sale, one side of the vehicle may have Chevy emblems, while the other side may have GMC emblems!
That's the problem with sharing the same assembly line. However, I'm disappointed and a little scared at how differently badged trucks can get past factory quality inspection!

Actually, I'm all for the sharing of models globally. I love it when you go around the world and everyone knows what a Focus, BMW 3 series,etc... looks like! There is a lot of debate regarding that.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 06:40 (Ref:563561)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The motor industry is one of the most incestuous you will ever find.

A major bane of English car nuts is that Proton owns Lotus - and they're actually doing a pretty good job of it.

Ford owns:

- Aston Martin
- Ford
- Jaguar
- Land Rover
- Lincoln
- Mazda
- Mercury
- Volvo
Old 9 Apr 2003, 06:49 (Ref:563571)   #11
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by bcobbus
In the Netherlands we used to have a factory (one of the former DAF factories) with an assembly line which produced Volvo S40/V40 and some japanese car (Mitsubishi or Toyota?).
When Ford took over Volvo, the new owners did have some trouble with that, as the Japanese company was one of their main competitors...
Old 9 Apr 2003, 08:05 (Ref:563633)   #12
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford may have an interest in Mazda but as long as they dont put a Ford badge on the RX8.

Toyota and Daihatsu are now in relationship as well.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 08:50 (Ref:563667)   #13
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
Ownership wises, that covers a lot of ground.

GM owns like 20% of Fiat, 100% of Daewoo,
Hyundai owns Kia.

Then there are platform alliances, DCM (Daimler,Chrysler, Mitsu) signed an agreement with Hyundai to jointly build a small vehicle a while back.
Don't forget that 35% of Hyundai is owned by Mitsubishi
Old 9 Apr 2003, 08:56 (Ref:563670)   #14
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin

Thats WHY they are ****..
Old 9 Apr 2003, 09:00 (Ref:563673)   #15
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieV8
Colin

Thats WHY they are ****..
Not wrong there

GM owns;
Saab
Subaru
Isuzu 50%
Suzuki 35%
Fiat 35% With an option to buy all in 2005
Chev
Pontiac
Cadillac
Vaxhaull
Opel
Saturn
Holden (Holden are the major share holder in Daewoo)
Daewoo

I think that is all

Last edited by Amaroo Park; 9 Apr 2003 at 09:03.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:01 (Ref:563929)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GM doesn't own Subaru - GM has a very(?) small stake and some common platform agreements. Subaru remains with Fuji Heavy Industries.

Saab and Subaru are different markets, so I doubt Tristan's suggestion will happen. Industry media were spreading rumours there would be a Saab 9-1 hatch which would be a re-nosed re-badged Impreza Sport Wagon. That is - frankly - bo ocks.

There are some interesting rebadged cars around the world to come out of Subaru's links though - apparently the Justy is a Suzuki in some markets...
Old 10 Apr 2003, 07:29 (Ref:564806)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
GM doesn't own Subaru - GM has a very(?) small stake and some common platform agreements. Subaru remains with Fuji Heavy Industries.
I am pretty sure that GM have a controlling interest in Subaru.

The Forrester is sold as a Chevy in most Asian markets.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that in the near future, an Impreza wagon will be appearing with a Saab grille on it, and be badged as a 9-2.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 08:01 (Ref:564843)   #18
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ford now owns Land Rover, and BMW owns Rolls Royce, who owns Mini? BMW still? And did Range Rover go with Land Rover?

Last edited by gfm; 10 Apr 2003 at 08:02.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 09:05 (Ref:564880)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
BMW owns new Mini, Rover owns old mini.

Range rover I think went with Land Rover (not 100% sure).
Old 10 Apr 2003, 17:13 (Ref:565290)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
Not wrong there

GM owns;
Saab
Subaru
Isuzu 50%
Suzuki 35%
Fiat 35% With an option to buy all in 2005
Chev
Pontiac
Cadillac
Vaxhaull
Opel
Saturn
Holden (Holden are the major share holder in Daewoo)
Daewoo

I think that is all

Good list, Colin, but in the States you omitted Buick and the soon to be defunct Oldsmobile. Also, GM markets Chevy trucks under the GMC badge, in the small truck market.

I also thought that Daimler Chrysler owned a large portion of Mitsubishi.

So to summarize: We have worldwide:

GM/FIAT
Ford
DaimlerChrysler
Volkswagen AG
BMW
PSA
Renault/Nissan
TOYOTA
Honda
Proton

Did I miss anything?
Old 10 Apr 2003, 17:29 (Ref:565309)   #21
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
holdons share some of the motors we in the uk have, they have the corsa but it has been renamed not sure what though, they have the holdon astra, and the vectra, our old mk1 vectra for them and then the new version on sale soon in aus. there commodore is a revamped omega, with a different front end and rear end. basicaly vauxhall opel and holdon are the same with holdon haveing a few models that we in europe do not get, ie there uetes, van things famous on neighbours,.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 19:01 (Ref:565411)   #22
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok i think GM own, opel, vauxhall, holdon, buick, chevy, cadilac, oldsmobile, hummer, pontiac, saab, saturn, they also have stakes in, suburu, izuzu, daewoo althought that is holdon who are the have the biggest stake in them, and there are a few more but i cant remember, confused:confused: so am i.

who knows who owns who anymore, they keep on changing hands every so often.

holdon share the majority of the models that vauxhall and opel do, ie corsa=barina, astra vectra frontera zafira, the commodore is a renosed omega and the jackeroo is a vauxhall/izuzu, monterey/trooper. they have a few motors on sale in oz that are all ozzy motors, including the ute, a pickup similar too a ford p100. the statesman a great big exec car a couple of coupes the caprice and monaro, and some big ole 4x4's.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 23:14 (Ref:565678)   #23
kmchow
Veteran

I wrote a paper in '00 about all these auto alliances. Had a chart. But since then, I have to update it. I listed ownership, platform and parts sharing. As you can imagine, it was quite tangled up with all types of mixing.

For example, the 3.5L 24V Honda V6 will power the '04 Saturn Vue.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 23:21 (Ref:565685)   #24
kmchow
Veteran

I'm not sure if any other vehicle can rival it, but I think the Omega is known by the most different brand names? 5 in total--Chevy Omega (in S.A), Holden, Opel, Vauxhall, Cadillac Catera? Can any other single car model rival it?? The Omega is virtually the same everywhere except for grill/name badging and perhaps equipment.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 23:33 (Ref:565698)   #25
mac
Veteran

I was wrong (and I'm totally shocked about it ). GM only has a 20% share in Subaru. But the Saab 9-2 is a goer.

Range Rover is most certainly a part of Ford's Land Rover.