Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Aug 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1380477)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Historic formula Ford

At the risk of asking a very dumb question what is the considered pecking order or HFF? Are Crossle's the best or Merlyn's? How do Lotus 61 and Alexis Mk 15 fair in this? Clearly a hot driver (like one or two of the posters here!) can make most things look good but in the world of an average driver....
Old 12 Aug 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1380480)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps better in the FFord forum.

But it really is quite open. Merlyns seem to be the most numerically strong but Lolas and Crossles have won every race this year. But a Macon in the hands of James Winslow proved strong the other week. I honestly don't think you could establish a pecking order.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 09:26 (Ref:1380508)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is great about FF is that most cars are pretty much the same lap times. They are limited by engine and tyres so all different cars do is use the grip in slightly different ways.

Just get what you can afford and what you like. Build it really well, if you can afford it get new suspension built and get decent dampers. Get the car set up by someone that know FFs. Then the rest is down to what you do on track.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1380543)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You thinking of it Simon?
Old 12 Aug 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1380550)   #5
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon

All Lotus models should be avoided apart from the 59 and 69 as anything before was a glorified Lotus 22. Im not too sure about the Alexis as they don't appear very often. Regarding other marques they're all pretty equal with not much difference between the early cars and the 71 cars but its a good idea to go for one of the more popular marques eg. Merlyn, Crossle rather than something obscure as your getting a known quantity so far as performance and also parts are easily available.

One point of interest which is quite ironic that Lola and Macon are one of the most popular and successful cars now when they were not that good in the day. I've raced Merlyn Mk20, Lola T200 and currently Palliser WDF3 and theres nothing between them. It goes without saying that good motor, tyres and brakes are equally important.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1380569)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its something that I am looking at - and keep the Merlyn for occassional forrays in the long distance stuff, I like the cost factor of it and have wanted to try single seaters for some time. Races are now getting oversubscribed is it first come first serve? What is the FF forum and where is it?
Old 12 Aug 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1380574)   #7
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is just here:

http://tentenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64

The great thing about a Historic FFord is you don't just have to do Historic races. You can do the Classic Championship and any of the regional championships too. There is no reason why you wouldn't be competitive in Class E. And of course events such as the Walter Hayes Trophy are very attractive for Historic racers, and if you get a car quickly you could do the Pre 1982 race at the Festival at Brands in October.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1380595)   #8
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it is first come first served. They're only oversubscribed at the major events however. Usual HSCC stuff has plenty of grid space. As Ian said they're incredibly versatile and he failed to mention there is a French Historic series for pre 82 cars!! Races at Pau, Dijon and Magny Cours this year.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1380599)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Also there is a pan-European Classic Championship too...
Old 12 Aug 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1380604)   #10
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon you've got a PM
Old 12 Aug 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1380789)   #11
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminsh
Simon you've got a PM
Got a Merlyn for sale have we Jase?
Simon take a look at ff1600.co.uk There is a section on Historic FF1600. Ian Sowman was probably too modest to mention it.
Old 12 Aug 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1380808)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Ian has been b*****ed (not by me I hasten to add. I think everybody should go there) previously for big upping that site so that probably has more to do with it
Old 12 Aug 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1380934)   #13
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
I think Ian has been b*****ed (not by me I hasten to add. I think everybody should go there)
or am I reading something into this that isn't intended
Old 12 Aug 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1380939)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Nooooooo I'm just biased thats all. Its the same rule for everybody so thats fair enough by me
Old 15 Aug 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1382392)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

yup I have looked at that site - I am trying to get my head around how much of the time diferentials are down to driver and how much is the car - general consensus is that Merlyn Mk20 seem to be the best but would that be a negligable difference in times for the average driver?
Old 18 Aug 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1385835)   #16
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic FF Lotus V the rest......

James is about right with a Lotus. I'm busting a gut to get in front of those *^%$£! Merlyns etc with my 61. Great when it comes to rain but not so hot in the dry or long fast circuits. Mind you Dieter Streve Jnr some time back had a 61 out of Martin Strettons stable and was a very credible 2nd at Brands. It is now being raced by Allen Hicks and when he gets a couple of years racing under his belt we may yet see him in front. BUT I still have great fun with fair racing against nice people. I have bought a renovation project for part-time work in the form of a Merlyn which I will need to sell when finished and, because of its build/design quality over the 61 I do wonder by how much faster I will pedal it over the Lotus. We will see. God knows what I'll do if I can put it on pole. Race it - very nervously - maybe....
I haven't had much experience in other forms of racing but I know if you want some really tight, hard, grown-up but FAIR racing where everyone cars are respected on and off the circuit FF seems one of the best. Welcome Paul, next year?
Old 19 Aug 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1386505)   #17
Red Legs
Rookie

England
cotswolds
Red Legs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My experience with Merlyn has been excellent, nicely made and certainly the spares backup has been great. Most of the bits are on the shelf at CRD and not too expensive. Bits like fabricated uprights on the Lola's and like can be really difficult and expensive.
The Merlyn has TR front and a cast rear, so if you knock a corner off its not going to break the bank and you've got a chance to get it back together for the next go.
Hope yer heart rate got back to normal after the last outing Dikko.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1386546)   #18
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
I don't know who knocked off their ignition but I do know Westie (Mitchell) needed to be where I was double quick and I was out of there just as fast! Unfortunately where I went was where the grass was and 1080 degrees later I was smiling at the crowd - including my wife who, for some strange reason had her hands on her head......
Another (wishful thinking) podium gone.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1386641)   #19
dereklola
Racer

dereklola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon

There's a nice Crossle for sale here - http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/cr...24365152pp.htm - just needs a few safety updates
Old 19 Aug 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1386664)   #20
Red Legs
Rookie

England
cotswolds
Red Legs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[QUOTE=dikko]I don't know who knocked off their ignition.
It was Greg Caton with his brakes locked on-probably was a good one to draught until he lifted off with his brakes on!
Old 22 Aug 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1388705)   #21
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Ah, that would be an answer then. But to go back to Simon's question, pretty much any car would get him in the top ten - if that is want he wants - Lola, Palliser, Macon, Jamun, Crossle, Titan and Merlyn. But if he wants a car to win - he'll probably have to give it to one of the youngsters to drive! One rule we should include is that you have to be as at least as old as your car to enter with the old farts FF! Nigel Bancroft is the only one flying the silver-haired flag against those that gel theirs.....keep it up mate!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1388919)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

well given my childern are nearly old enough to get competition licences I reckon I must qualify on the age front and as for qualifying at the squirty end of HFF grid - well lets just say that there are others on this board who hog that end of the grid already!!