Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Jul 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3918098)   #26
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Chilton on top, that is encouraging and shows that there is still plenty to play for
Old 17 Jul 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3918105)   #27
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Chilton on top, that is encouraging and shows that there is still plenty to play for
Could just be he's had his Weetabix for breakfast
Old 17 Jul 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3918107)   #28
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting comment from Austin that they had no new tyres to run on yesterday for the Alfa so were using very old ones.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3918108)   #29
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Interesting comment from Austin that they had no new tyres to run on yesterday for the Alfa so were using very old ones.
Yes I thought that, I thought this was a "tyre test"

Incidentally anyone know what the deal with Max Coates only getting 1 lap in all day was?
Old 17 Jul 2019, 09:10 (Ref:3918113)   #30
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
The way I read it was that they chose to run on old tyres (presumably to get their eye in again) before running new tyres today?
Old 17 Jul 2019, 10:15 (Ref:3918124)   #31
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The way I read it was that they chose to run on old tyres (presumably to get their eye in again) before running new tyres today?
I agree now that I've gone to his actual FB page and read it rather than the article I read. Sounds like they ran out of time to do a fresh rubber run rather than they didn't have the tyres to start with.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3918125)   #32
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well, ground effect is in simple terms a much more efficient way of creating downforce. That in itself won’t make a difference to the racing if its not accompanied by a massive reduction in upper surface aero dependence.

My fear is that they will incorporate this change, but they wont go far enough with the upper surface cull, so what we will be left with is maybe a slightly less bad version of what we have currently.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 10:22 (Ref:3918126)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
I wonder how disappointed Moffat is at the pace of the Q50. Maybe tomorrow will be more indicative. But it doesn't look great as a straight out of the box package.
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...netterton-test

Aiden Moffat made his debut in the revamped Infiniti, which the Laser Tools Racing squad will run for the remainder of the year.
The car currently lacks a proper ducting system to deliver power to the turbo, but the outfit says this will be corrected for the next race meeting at Snetterton on August 4-5.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3918131)   #34
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Well, ground effect is in simple terms a much more efficient way of creating downforce. That in itself won’t make a difference to the racing if its not accompanied by a massive reduction in upper surface aero dependence.

My fear is that they will incorporate this change, but they wont go far enough with the upper surface cull, so what we will be left with is maybe a slightly less bad version of what we have currently.
wrong forum
Old 17 Jul 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3918200)   #35
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ollie Jackson quickest today, Rob Austin quickest in final session, Tom Chilton quickest over both days.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3918211)   #36
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Aiden Moffat made his debut in the revamped Infiniti, which the Laser Tools Racing squad will run for the remainder of the year.
The car currently lacks a proper ducting system to deliver power to the turbo, but the outfit says this will be corrected for the next race meeting at Snetterton on August 4-5.
So a gentle test to see what's what and get an idea on handling. Wonder how long ago they decided to switch at the season mid point? I know they'd offered rides in TCT in the Infiniti but clearly nobody bit...
Old 17 Jul 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3918228)   #37
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Ollie Jackson quickest today, Rob Austin quickest in final session, Tom Chilton quickest over both days.
Rob Austin quickest. Strange how he is always quick
At tests / media days but never when it matters. No weight ,
Loads of Boost is my bet..../. The trouble is he makes the regulars
Look like w&nkers
Old 17 Jul 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3918230)   #38
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Look like w&nkers

Late in the day as well... Almost like he was given a boost to help get a sponsor on board by topping the times...
Old 17 Jul 2019, 21:09 (Ref:3918233)   #39
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Late in the day as well... Almost like he was given a boost to help get a sponsor on board by topping the times...
he doesnt need to be given anything. it’s just a test and the cars arent checked by toca so the teams can run however they want.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3918235)   #40
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
he doesnt need to be given anything. it’s just a test and the cars arent checked by toca so the teams can run however they want.

Sorry Alan Gow, I forgot how "black and white" you see things so ill correct my tongue in cheek comment to suit you:

"They had got some decent running it but maybe left it until late in the day to turn the car up to a level they may not have got away with in race weekend conditions in order to get on top to impress a potential sponsor, because as already suggested its strange they always manage to top these type sessions but they are never there when it matters"
Old 17 Jul 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3918239)   #41
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Look like w&nkers
Look at all the times, not just the headlines. Austin put in 2 quick laps 10 mins before the end of the day. Those times were nearly a second quicker than he had done during the rest of the session.

But as most people won't look further that 'Rob Austin quickest', looks like job done.
Old 17 Jul 2019, 22:04 (Ref:3918240)   #42
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Shame they write utter rubbish on Autosport. I've never read such a bad summary of a problem..... "Power to the turbo" WTF. It's either ****ing exhaust gasses past the compressor/waste gate is open all the time or the pre/post intercooler ducting is crap and not providing enough air to compress.

Power to the turbo
Old 17 Jul 2019, 22:33 (Ref:3918245)   #43
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
we all remember how Motorbase suddenly were fast despite missing first season half a few years ago....
Old 18 Jul 2019, 06:43 (Ref:3918285)   #44
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Yes, but Motorbase had Fat Jackson, who is a bona fide good driver. And the Focus was a tidy motor.

Not really any comparison I think?

This may be a stupid question - could Handy/ Austin have run the car with a mother load of boost(i.e. more than they are allowed) because there is no or little scrutineeering at the test?
Old 18 Jul 2019, 06:49 (Ref:3918287)   #45
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Shame they write utter rubbish on Autosport. I've never read such a bad summary of a problem..... "Power to the turbo" WTF. It's either ****ing exhaust gasses past the compressor/waste gate is open all the time or the pre/post intercooler ducting is crap and not providing enough air to compress.

Power to the turbo
The latter. Remember this car was originally engineered by a team with little budget and in my opinion little talent... I imagine Laser improved many things before the car turned a wheel. Now it has they've probably got another big to do list.

I'd like to see them do well personally.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:15 (Ref:3918291)   #46
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yes, but Motorbase had Fat Jackson, who is a bona fide good driver. And the Focus was a tidy motor.

Not really any comparison I think?

This may be a stupid question - could Handy/ Austin have run the car with a mother load of boost(i.e. more than they are allowed) because there is no or little scrutineeering at the test?

Ahh Mat, whatever happened to him.

As for Austin, that was exactly my point, they have turned everything up right at the end to take a bit of glory away to a potential sponsor, I know it was wet at Snetterton last year so not a fair comparison but they topped the 2018 media day times too. Its not illegal but it is highly suspect that they are often fastest in these type sessions but were nowhere all season last year.

Have they really developed the car that much without really running it? i get that they might do private sessions but I have my doubts, if they have turned it out on a trackdays i would expect we would have seen pictures already
Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3918296)   #47
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Power to the turbo
You do realise the airflow to the turbo should be as free flowing and as cold as possible, otherwise it can sap the power to the turbo making it work harder. Pre compressor temperatures which are to high and reduced airflow can also cause the turbo to stall, causing fluctuations in boost pressure at lower engine speeds.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3918297)   #48
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My gallery from yesterday can be found here -

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFdsBeN
Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:51 (Ref:3918298)   #49
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:

Power to the turbo
The purpose of this test for Laser Tools was to get some running out of the car, realistically for them this was a shakedown to iron out any major flaws, get some feeling for the car and understand what works and what doesnt, (they were never coming in to top the timesheets with a high boost low weight lap at the end like some ), however for a car effectively running with a turbo problem all day, they were not far off where I would expect them to be for a first timed run in the car.

This is a long project and the Infiniti will see them improve over the next 2-3 seasons by developing a car rather than running the mercedes which has reached the end of its cycle, and a learning curve switching to RWD for Aiden. I would imagine that creating a duct to the turbo would be a reasonably simple task for an experienced race engineer to sort out anyway.

Last edited by btccbloke; 18 Jul 2019 at 08:02.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3918304)   #50
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
You do realise the airflow to the turbo should be as free flowing and as cold as possible, otherwise it can sap the power to the turbo making it work harder. Pre compressor temperatures which are to high and reduced airflow can also cause the turbo to stall, causing fluctuations in boost pressure at lower engine speeds.
You lost credibility with that statement when you said sap power to the turbo. This is my whole point. Intake air does not "power" a turbo. The only thing that "powers" a turbo is the exhaust gases that spin up the turbine and therefore the compressor on the same spindle.

Yes heat management is very much a thing for the air being compressed, but that air does not "power" the turbo. My focual point of the autosport comment was the overly simple terminology being used which is basically wrong.