Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 27 Oct 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2570930)   #51
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
And also with RfH in a Dome Judd a few years back . But daddy stays away ?
I know he raced a couple times in Grand Am a few years ago, but he hasn't raced a proper prototype in years. He doesn't even run the team anymore, Chris does.

Rob has always said he will never spend the money to make the trip unless he had a car he knew could win.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2571322)   #52
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
What about the Riley & Scott days . He had that car singing back then , probably better than anybody else ever did with a R&S , including Doyle Racing .

Whatever happened to Doyle Racing anyway ?
Old 28 Oct 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2571660)   #53
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
What about the Riley & Scott days . He had that car singing back then , probably better than anybody else ever did with a R&S , including Doyle Racing .

Whatever happened to Doyle Racing anyway ?
Dunno, but I guess you could say it was supplanted by Wayne Taylor Racing. The car is still happily turning laps over here.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 03:03 (Ref:2571795)   #54
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
If JLOC get an invite I'll eat my hat [looks in wardrobe for nacho hat ]

There should be a condition in the invites from winning the Asian race that states, 'in the case of no one finishing in GT1 except for JLOC no invite will be handed out'.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2571874)   #55
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
If JLOC get an invite I'll eat my hat [looks in wardrobe for nacho hat ]

There should be a condition in the invites from winning the Asian race that states, 'in the case of no one finishing in GT1 except for JLOC no invite will be handed out'.
I think they should be given a special invite, however so as not to penalise real entries they could be given a lego garage at the far end of the pit lane no need to provide fuel,air or water (it will never be needed) and the ACO would get the enterance fee. It will make the predictions competition easier and make sure that no one else has the dubious honour of first to withdraw.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2571933)   #56
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
They need a little bit of credit folks ..... they did do a lap , in the last 3 entries .

I reckon it would be fair to give them the formation lap pace car .

Oh wait ..... on second thoughts the race may not start if its the JLOC Lambo !!!

My best guess , is we will see 2 Larbre Saleens at Le Mans next year .

One for coming 2nd in the LMS and one for winning their class in Japan .
Old 29 Oct 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2571976)   #57
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Confirmation here that we should see Nissan and Maserati in Le Mans GT1 next year:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79814
Old 29 Oct 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2572008)   #58
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Confirmation here that we should see Nissan and Maserati in Le Mans GT1 next year:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79814
more confirmation of what we all hoped would be the result of the ACO announcement, I am always a big fan of the GT1 class at lemans but it looks like 2010 will be a huge battle and the diesels will be eclipsed by a class that last year we all thought would be dead in 2010.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2572083)   #59
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
more confirmation of what we all hoped would be the result of the ACO announcement, I am always a big fan of the GT1 class at lemans but it looks like 2010 will be a huge battle and the diesels will be eclipsed by a class that last year we all thought would be dead in 2010.
Or it will keep legitimate GT2 teams out while a hodge podge of slapped together GT1 efforts get spots on the grid and Maserati sails into the distance
Old 29 Oct 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2572255)   #60
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Finally! It would be wonderful to see the MC12 at Le Mans-its just a shame that Corvette and Aston still arent in the class-what a battle that would've been. We will never know unfortunately....

If Gigawave turn up with the level of support from Nissan they've had this year and with the performance adjustments for the present cars that probably will be handed out next year I cant see why they cant give Vitaphone a good run.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2572395)   #61
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Or it will keep legitimate GT2 teams out while a hodge podge of slapped together GT1 efforts get spots on the grid and Maserati sails into the distance
I would much rather see some fast GT1 cars with a mixture of makes than the same old slow GT2 cars that have been around for ages, there is room in the field for both GT1 and GT2 and those fans that turn up every year will be more than happy to see big noisy GT1 cars to make up for the less than inspiring enterance in some of the other classes.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2572589)   #62
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I would much rather see some fast GT1 cars with a mixture of makes than the same old slow GT2 cars that have been around for ages, there is room in the field for both GT1 and GT2 and those fans that turn up every year will be more than happy to see big noisy GT1 cars to make up for the less than inspiring enterance in some of the other classes.
Raped pseudo GT-1s are fast compared to GT-2s?!

L.P.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2572597)   #63
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolK View Post
Unless I've totally missed the boat, the LMP2 Acura (ex-Fernandez) and the Dyson Lola/Mazda ran under ALMS regs and NOT ACO and would be ineligible for the 24H. And there's only ONE Asian LeMans race which is this weekend, thus the class winners get the auto-invite for the 2010 24H.....please correct me if I am wrong on these points.

The cars in their current configuration would be ineligible, but they could be modified to be eligible. (Quite easily in the Dyson case)
Old 31 Oct 2009, 04:20 (Ref:2572831)   #64
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Unfortunately, that's not what your going to get. By the way, the Maser is older than every GT2 car with exception of the Panoz.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2573092)   #65
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
JLOC could be odds on for an auto-invite if they win again tomorrow!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2573093)   #66
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
JLOC could win again
I didn't think I'd ever say that.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2573328)   #67
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking the combined results of the two races into account, four lucky entrants have received automatic invitations to the 2010 Le Mans 24 Hours:
LM P1 : Sora Racing’s Pescarolo-Judd (Tinseau-Nakano),
LM P2 : OAK Racing’s Pescarolo-Mazda (Lahaye-Nicolet-Hein),
LM GT1 : JLOC Racing’s Lamborghini (Yogo-Iiri),
LM GT2 : Hankook – Team Farnbacher’s Ferrari F 430 GT (Farnbacher-Simonsen).
Old 1 Nov 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2573489)   #68
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
JLOC could be odds on for an auto-invite if they win again tomorrow!
No! No! No! Why did I prohosise such a disaster!
Old 1 Nov 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2573635)   #69
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the date sometime in December when the "auto-invites" have to reply with a written acceptance on their part? then the fun begins with entry acceptance...I don't remember the exact time line..
Old 2 Nov 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2573839)   #70
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
No! No! No! Why did I prohosise such a disaster!
Old 2 Nov 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2574004)   #71
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Raped pseudo GT-1s are fast compared to GT-2s?!

L.P.
GT6's perception of the proposed GT classes for Le Mans 2010 may be different from yours (and mine, for that matter), but given that that is his perception (remember GT6 is a true veteran of Le Mans) he is unlikely to be alone.

Will the raped, pseudo GT1's not be quicker than the GT2's? I think they will. And, will the diversity that new GT1 class will bring to Le Mans not add to the interest come raceday? Again, I think it will.

I concur with earlier comments re the age of these 'grandfathered' GT1's (Nissan aside), but the class includes cars we haven't seen before at Le Mans, and that in itself will be a draw as far as the trackside punter is concerned.

The problem I have with GT2 at Le Mans, is that we don't see a replication of the incredible GT2 grids we see in the ALMS. Those grids are the absolute pinnacle of GT racing. Sad then, that the GT2 class at Le Mans in recent years has not quite been what we know it could have been. Again, therefore, the appeal of the new GT1 class is understandable.

That said, the P&M boys will be there in GT2 this year, and I suspect BMW (who are in talks with the ACO to determine exactly what revisions to the M3 need to be made before they can race in Europe) will also be there. Potentially (and ironically), this will be the best GT2 field we've ever seen at Le Mans. If all the players were to turn up, a single GT class would have sufficed (and be necessary in order to accommodate them all). Opportunity missed? Possibly.

My personal preference would indeed have been for a single GT class at Le Mans in 2010 (and for the ACO not to adopt the new GT1's). But, given recent history in GT2 at Le Mans, I suspect the inclusion of the new GT1 class will appeal to the majority of the paying public, and that the ACO have made the right decision.

Lastly, I thought the tone of 'Post #62' came across as mocking, disrespectful and undeserved. GT6 is a longstanding, helpful and well respected member of this forum (and a thoroughly nice guy, as those of us who have made his aquaintance at Le Mans over the last few years would concur). It's a fine line between debate and alienate.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2574018)   #72
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Thanks for those very kind words, we will see what happens in 2010 and although I may be wrong, see 2009 predictions competition, in the past. experoence tells me that older cars are not always slower that the cars that replace them. In a contest between well tested GT1's from a few years ago and the very latest cars I would always go for the old timers especially at Le Mans.

The history of the race is alway full of new cars that arrive with a bucket full of expectations and fail and trusted old warhorses that develop from less expected sources. Experience usually wins and that is the whole idea about a race over 24 hours not just speed alone.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2574030)   #73
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Unfortunately, that's not what your going to get. By the way, the Maser is older than every GT2 car with exception of the Panoz.
Now that is debateable, a porsche 911 was racing at Le mans before most people on this planet were actually born. The latest models might be slightly developed but to most people they are the same car. I still love them and Le mans without them would be missing out. The MC12 although a few years old looks like a new car rather that a slightly modified car from a long time ago, and the Ferrari and other cars coming next year are hardly the cars every boy dreams about and have posters on the wall. Sportscar racing needs cars like the MC12 if it can not generate interest and get the fans to pay to watch cars race then the sport we love will slowly die.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2574213)   #74
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To some degree I can agree with GT6 and Bentley03, but my problem with the GT1 class is that the intent of the GT1s as envisioned by SRO (whose model they are using right?) is that they are really intended to be sprint racers and not endurance racers. While most of the GT1 entries are likely to be older cars modified to meet the new GT1 rules, I just wonder how well they will do if they are run by someone other that the guys that made them famous in that category. My fear is the race will be over in GT1 after the first few hours. I know Vitaphone will do a fine job with the MC-12 as they are real pros. If PeKa bring a vette or LAA, they will be top flight as well. I'm not sure the Ford GTs are up to this as they did quite poorly at Spa. The Nissan surprised at Spa and; hopefully, will give a good accounting.

I also agree that a genuine opportunity was missed by not having a single GT category. All you need are a few Ferrari's (including Risi & AC), a few 911s (including IMSA, Lizards, etc), the Corvettes, the BMWs, the Spyker and a few others and I think you would have a full 24 hours of top flight competition.

DK

Last edited by dxk1; 2 Nov 2009 at 16:17.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2574256)   #75
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
GT6's perception of the proposed GT classes for Le Mans 2010 may be different from yours (and mine, for that matter), but given that that is his perception (remember GT6 is a true veteran of Le Mans) he is unlikely to be alone.

Will the raped, pseudo GT1's not be quicker than the GT2's? I think they will. And, will the diversity that new GT1 class will bring to Le Mans not add to the interest come raceday? Again, I think it will.

I concur with earlier comments re the age of these 'grandfathered' GT1's (Nissan aside), but the class includes cars we haven't seen before at Le Mans, and that in itself will be a draw as far as the trackside punter is concerned.

The problem I have with GT2 at Le Mans, is that we don't see a replication of the incredible GT2 grids we see in the ALMS. Those grids are the absolute pinnacle of GT racing. Sad then, that the GT2 class at Le Mans in recent years has not quite been what we know it could have been. Again, therefore, the appeal of the new GT1 class is understandable.

That said, the P&M boys will be there in GT2 this year, and I suspect BMW (who are in talks with the ACO to determine exactly what revisions to the M3 need to be made before they can race in Europe) will also be there. Potentially (and ironically), this will be the best GT2 field we've ever seen at Le Mans. If all the players were to turn up, a single GT class would have sufficed (and be necessary in order to accommodate them all). Opportunity missed? Possibly.

My personal preference would indeed have been for a single GT class at Le Mans in 2010 (and for the ACO not to adopt the new GT1's). But, given recent history in GT2 at Le Mans, I suspect the inclusion of the new GT1 class will appeal to the majority of the paying public, and that the ACO have made the right decision.

Lastly, I thought the tone of 'Post #62' came across as mocking, disrespectful and undeserved. GT6 is a longstanding, helpful and well respected member of this forum (and a thoroughly nice guy, as those of us who have made his aquaintance at Le Mans over the last few years would concur). It's a fine line between debate and alienate.
Hmm, so please explain how the opinion expressed in post #61 is more valid than mine in #62?!!! Or are you stating because I do not travel halfway around the world to attend in person, and be part of the forum meeting, that my opinion is not of value or merit?!

Or is it that I did not put it in a seven paragraph post?

I also still stand by my opinion that GT-1 this year will be a raped and psuedo GT-1 in compasison to the pre 2010 GT-1 rule cars! And with the GT-2s being 9 sec a lap at Le Mans (off of Corvette), the comparitive that I responded to in post #61 of fast, for raped and the new rule Psuedo GT-1s to slow GT-2s is wrong in my opionion!!

L.P.