Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Mar 2004, 03:46 (Ref:905493)   #1
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide Turn 8 - the Dunlop Sweeper

I drove through this part of the cicruit the other day (just before it was closed to traffic) and I noticed that they have, yet again, changed the 'dunlop sweeper' (turn 8). As the following pic illustrates, they've moved the inside concrete wall back onto the grass, and have stuck armco guard railing along the gutter line. This is obviously a move to open up visibility which has always been a problem here since they changed the corner back in 2002.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rus...&.dnm=7d5f.jpg

No doubt this will create more discussion as drivers/teams become aware of the new layout.

Interesting to see how it goes, I can't say I've ever seen something like this done before. Thoughts?

Last edited by Forbesy; 15 Mar 2004 at 03:47.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 03:54 (Ref:905496)   #2
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the introduction of that corner, i think its more dangerous than it was originally. a number of high speed crashes have happened since then, Radisich, Seton, Ellery, Jason Bright,and Geoff Full and even in the saloon cars there was about a 10 car pile up.If a car dumps oil thru there it would be catistrophic.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 04:05 (Ref:905502)   #3
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame really. I stood at that corner last year and it was magic! Had to be the only corner in Australia where you could be so close to the cars while they were at any decent speed.

Would be still a little hard to pick an apex though wouldn't it? Just looking at that photo reminds me of Bargs' shunt in the HYL car at Bathurst a few years ago. Touch the armco on the apex and watch out!
Old 15 Mar 2004, 05:35 (Ref:905523)   #4
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i didnt mind the Dunlop sweeper last year...and of course..the year before that..... but this is interesting.

The corner before was a challenge, but it was also dangerous. Sure - there was no room for error, but at that speed, i think you need one.

I am not sure of how much space there was on the exit wall on the left of the old sweeper there was, but perhaps they could have put the wall about 1 or 2 metres back, to the left, and put a ripple strip where the wall was, maybe it would be a safer challenge.

At least they are both better than the putrid original corner.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 06:32 (Ref:905540)   #5
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure that they won't take that armco away before Thursday? It just looks a little odd to me. I was looking at bits of the circuit on Saturday but I didn't really get a good look at turn 8.

Thanks for the pics.

Last edited by 00 XR8; 15 Mar 2004 at 06:37.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 07:56 (Ref:905571)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The old concrete wall would snot you into the outside wall, what would gaurdrail do? If you hit it hard enough and it moves, what would be the consequences?

Spook, care to comment?
Old 15 Mar 2004, 09:05 (Ref:905627)   #7
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This matter was raised yesterday at:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=51412

Mike
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:24 (Ref:905758)   #8
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Crash !!.

It seems totally weird that you would install 2 high guardrail at a circuit where F3 are racing this weekend?

I cannot see the logic in this installation.

The wall is fine, take away the guardrail, put a proper apex kerb (like at QR), and even the V8's won't cut the corner and you will have your line of sight for F3 as well as the taxi's. The guardrail is probably Tim's solution to kerb hopping - a totally over-the-top solution, typical.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 12:54 (Ref:906974)   #9
Arai GP5
Racer

Arai GP5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Mmciau said, see the other link for more informed discussion.

A kerb would be best, but the road kerb behind that armco is ENORMOUS - to cover it with a kerb would see the drivers revolt Bathurst 2002 style - as the kerb would be about 250mm high!!!