Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 20 Aug 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1992997)   #76
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can read why here:

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_108915/article.html
Old 20 Aug 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1993030)   #77
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I drive as you have discribed Dtype ie only on the brakes at the last seconds and never touch them any other time (only way to race is'nt it!), my car(s) is heavy and the brakes are modest 12" discs, the yellow heavier car is fitted with very large Wilwood GN 6 pots up front and biggish Brembos on the back filled with SRF fluid (will only use this fluid now) and she pulls up really well and is also very frugal on the pads although has cracked a disc once or twice (both groved and I dont bother anymore and did not notice any difference). the black car although lighter has smaller Willwood 4 pots alround and I am still impressed how it pulls up, maybe I am not trying hard enough!
Old 20 Aug 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1993047)   #78
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Just to add another twist to this, I was always taught to do heavy short braking, it comes from learning to drive on drum braked trucks that had little or no effect so you had to learn how to keep them cool.
I have never boiled any fluid in my race car and I only use Halfords, Delphi or Comma (probably all the same stuff) Dot5.1 fluid.
The problem I have is with glazing. When I ran standard plain Jaguar discs this got so bad that on one occasion my car would not slow for the hairpin at Mallory and I eneded up pointing the wrong way in the entrance road by the gate.
I now run bigger grooved discs and although I have never had any stopping problems they still glaze to a certain extent. BTW I use DS3000 pads.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 21:36 (Ref:1993151)   #79
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
falcemob,
Did you read Carroll Smith's article I linked to above? Or the companion article: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_padremoval.shtml ?
It is a bit commercial, and goes against CS's opinion, but is another view on the subject.

John
Old 21 Aug 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1993730)   #80
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Going all the way back to rotor grooves and which way they should point...

I was told today that curved or angled grooves can be used either direction, however, if you put them on so that the inner end of the groove arrives at the pad first then gas and particle removal is more efficient, but if they are put on so that the outer end arrives at the pad first then it will give less pad wear. Pays money and takes choice.

As an anecdote, I was also told that the Lotus Elise S2 had angled grooves, but only has one type of disc fitted (ie forward facing one side and backward facing on the other). Apparently its a bit cheaper!!
Old 6 Sep 2007, 11:29 (Ref:2005079)   #81
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I had occassion to inspect a sadly totally destroyed Porche at Donnington at the weekend and I noticed the drilled discs were badly cracked between the holes. This I stress it was not what caused the accident (I dont think, I could only see one side) and the disc was still intact but it graphically pointed out why I don't think drilling is a good idea.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 14:53 (Ref:2019739)   #82
Lukus
Rookie

Lukus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
No straight answer, but Porsche have run drilled disc on competition cars for decades, which they would not do if there was no advantage. However Porsche also seem to be able to avoid cracks, which not many others can claim I believe.
I know this post is old, but i had a good laugh when i read this!

Next time you have a look at a Porsche road car with disc's that have done a fair few km's, or a car that is tracked, you'll see *many* cracks. When they are 3-4mm long out of each side of the hole (or about to connect to each other!), they are scrap

I've seen disc's after one day of heavy use with cracks 2-3mm long! Porsche are not immune, and their disc's are cast with holes, not drilled after manufacturer like some are.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 09:36 (Ref:2020848)   #83
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was told of a trials bike rider who has his name lazer cut into his discs....now that's what I call style!