flavorPacket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Pratt & Miller over in New Hudson MI has engineering openings
http://www.prattmiller.com/employment.php

Riley Technologies in Moorsville NC
http://www.rileytech.com/contactus.asp

Good Luck with your search
Thanks AU N EGL, but I consider those to be just beneath the top level. PME and Riley do great work, but what I'm interested in is more of a F1/top sportscar organization.

--Claude Rouelle
Old 7 Dec 2007, 20:08 (Ref:2083897)   #52
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pratt& Miller is THE top Sports car racing team in the WORLD.

Pratt & Miller aka Corvette Racing.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 02:12 (Ref:2084074)   #53
flavorPacket
Rookie

United States
Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:
Pratt& Miller is THE top Sports car racing team in the WORLD.

Pratt & Miller aka Corvette Racing.
I'm well aware of what PME does. But I doubt Audi Sport, Peugeot, Porsche, etc would agree with your statement.

--Claude Rouelle
Old 8 Dec 2007, 23:25 (Ref:2084598)   #54
jaZZ
Rookie

jaZZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I've got another problem...
I'm currently in my final year of Bachelors in COMPUTER SCIENCE. Now, I'm thinking of a Masters in the US or UK, preferably in the field of computer science. Since the motorsports/automotive industry has strong links with the computers, I was wondering about what my major should be to atleast give me a chance of getting a job in the motorsports/automotive industry.
In other words I would like to know what qualifications do people who make computer equipment/softwares/systems for the motorsports/automotive industry have that gets them in?

Thanks!
Old 9 Dec 2007, 00:18 (Ref:2084629)   #55
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at some automotive web sites and their help wanted or emplyoment section. Read the computer related jobs that are offered and what the qualifications are ?
Old 9 Dec 2007, 00:24 (Ref:2084631)   #56
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorPacket
I'm well aware of what PME does. But I doubt Audi Sport, Peugeot, Porsche, etc would agree with your statement.
Audi and Porsche are great cars, but Peugeot? Did you ever wonder why there are no new Peugeots in the US ??? Think about that one a while.

Have you ever worked on an Audi ? and What is that Porsche phrase, a Poorly engineerd car over designed to perfection. Just Kidding.

Dont be short sighted, some times jobs are were you least expect them. Good Luck on your Job hunting
Old 9 Dec 2007, 22:39 (Ref:2085148)   #57
Locost47
Racer

England
Locost47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not wanting to tread on anyone's toes here, but weren't you talking about sportscar racing teams, not road cars? The 'factory' Audi, Porsche & Peugeot sportscar projects have almost no link at all to their road car products or operational infrastructure. All they get from their parent companies is financial support and some aspects of fuel injection system, however between them they have been fantastically successful in racing.

PME have done extremely well with the Corvettes, beyond question, but if it really came down to a "who's collected the most trophies in sportscar racing" competition against Audi Sport, Porsche & Peugeot Sport, they might not get on the podium there.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 21:09 (Ref:2085992)   #58
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locost47
Not wanting to tread on anyone's toes here, but weren't you talking about sportscar racing teams, not road cars? The 'factory' Audi, Porsche & Peugeot sportscar projects have almost no link at all to their road car products or operational infrastructure. All they get from their parent companies is financial support and some aspects of fuel injection system, however between them they have been fantastically successful in racing.
Do you think engineers for the "Performance division" come off the streets or Uni? More like up thought the ranks. Those Plumb jobs are for the best and brightest. Or who have cracked the F1 market.

Quote:
PME have done extremely well with the Corvettes, beyond question, but if it really came down to a "who's collected the most trophies in sportscar racing" competition against Audi Sport, Porsche & Peugeot Sport, they might not get on the podium there.
One does not start at the TOP unless they ( the manufacture ) finds you first and picks you out from another team.

I would also bet that some of the top manufactures performance divsions ar like NASCAR team jobs, there are no 8-6 work hours, it work until the job is done 7 days a week. You rest when your dead or sleeping in the truck.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 23:52 (Ref:2086090)   #59
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
SAE has a division to help engineers find jobs in the automotive industry.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 07:34 (Ref:2086249)   #60
flavorPacket
Rookie

United States
Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:
SAE has a division to help engineers find jobs in the automotive industry.
Well, that's all well and good, but we're all looking for jobs in the motorsports industry. They are less related than you think.

--Claude Rouelle
Old 11 Dec 2007, 08:50 (Ref:2086282)   #61
Locost47
Racer

England
Locost47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do you think engineers for the "Performance division" come off the streets or Uni? More like up thought the ranks. Those Plumb jobs are for the best and brightest. Or who have cracked the F1 market.

One does not start at the TOP unless they ( the manufacture ) finds you first and picks you out from another team.

I would also bet that some of the top manufactures performance divsions ar like NASCAR team jobs, there are no 8-6 work hours, it work until the job is done 7 days a week. You rest when your dead or sleeping in the truck.
I think this is all getting a bit confused. My point was that the manufacturers themselves are almost entirely separate from the race teams. A manufacturer's Performance Division is not the same as their race teams. Typically they sub-contract that side of things out to dedicated race car preparation companies.

In the British Touring Car Championship we have Honda (Team Dynamics), Vauxhall/GM (888 Racing), BMW (WSR) and SEAT (North & South). In World Touring Cars there is Cheverolet (RML) and BMW (Schnitzer). In GTs there is Aston Martin (Prodrive). In Rallying there is Subaru (Prodrive, again) and occasionally Mitsubishi (Ralliart). None of these companies exchange staff on any level with the manufacturer. They get given a cheque by the manufacturer's marketing department and a load of stickers to put on the car and they go racing for them. That's about it.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 18:48 (Ref:2086691)   #62
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
I am well aware of WORKS teams which in many cases are Differnt Businesses then the Manufacture they represent.

Maybe I am wrong, but the three works shops I have toured, the employees and engineers orginally came from that manufactures, not out or a University or were highered off the streets or from JOBS_R_US dot com

The employees changed jobs and came from or were sub contract out from that manufacture to the contracting engineering firm that represented that manufature racing effort.

To those guys/gals looking for engineering jobs with a race team, GO 4 IT. We wish the best of luck.

SAE career center http://www.saecareercenter.org/

Last edited by AU N EGL; 11 Dec 2007 at 18:51.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 23:25 (Ref:2086883)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Have you ever worked on an Audi ? and What is that Porsche phrase, a Poorly engineerd car over designed to perfection. Just Kidding.
I love my Audi A4 and the one before it, but after having to practically disassemble everything near the firewall to get the battery out and replace it, my next car is likely to be a Pontiac G8.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2088715)   #64
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Highcroft are currently hiring. They're looking for a general team manager and a race engineer. I think this adds some credibility to the 2nd car rumor. http://highcroftracing.com/07_hr_recruitment_ad.pdf

From another thread
Old 15 Dec 2007, 17:32 (Ref:2089602)   #65
flavorPacket
Rookie

United States
Ann Arbor, MI
not too many recent graduates out there with the experience to do those jobs, I think

Last edited by flavorPacket; 15 Dec 2007 at 17:33. Reason: spelling

--Claude Rouelle
Old 21 Dec 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2093287)   #66
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't personally vouch for the other Uni's but I have to say I'm impressed with how my engineering course at Brunel is going, and after Christmas I might have a little bit of time to try and look into helping out some teams, hopefully there are some near Uxbridge.

I'm glad I've started on a route in engineering, there were several other things that could have been easier for me to get into with better/constant wages, but motorsport is a passion, and the courses you take only give you what you put in. And I must admit, putting the hours in and getting 100%'s out is very, very rewarding, and will hopefully set me up for a positive career somewhere in this mad mad world.

It's all good! Nano nano! (hehe)
Old 25 Dec 2007, 21:17 (Ref:2094799)   #67
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi steve.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 21:20 (Ref:2094801)   #68
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
What about the national college for motorsport?
I can't say I heard much positive stuff about it - try Wiltshire college they are very good indeed
Old 30 Dec 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2096562)   #69
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Found a few more in the US:

" continuously growing professional, national level race car team is seeking a skilled technician/mechanic. Applicant must have previous experience in the automotive performance industry. Basic fabrication skills, MIG and TIG welding skills, and a commercial driver's license are favored. Applicant must have a strong work ethic, self-motivation, good communication, and the ability to be a part of a team. All applicants must have a good mechanical aptitude and ability to learn quickly.

Job will include travel for the full 2008 World Challenge race season as well as various other race and track activities. Additional work in the BimmerWorld shop consists of race preparation, work on customers' cars, and support equipment maintenance. Applicants must be able to get a passport and be willing to spend a large amount of time traveling.
We are looking for employees to join a successful, growing business to help propel us into the future. This position is full time and long hours are occasionally required, including working weekends."
http://www.world-challenge.com/forum...pic.php?t=1040

Looking for fly in crew for the Playboy MX5 cup 2008 season. CT base team with five cars.
For more information call or email:
Randy Hale
http://www.world-challenge.com/forum...pic.php?t=1039
Hale Motorsports

http://www.world-challenge.com/forum...f7f3794efebd7d
Old 30 Dec 2007, 22:37 (Ref:2096807)   #70
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I can't say I heard much positive stuff about it - try Wiltshire college they are very good indeed
I would defiatly go to Lackham college, they are very good, they are always there to help, all the lectures are from different types of motorsport. At the moment I am on for distinctuios in every unit of my work, only one in my year, I have only been able to do this due to the dedication of the teachers, as they have been pushing me to improve my work, to get me to a better standard of work, were as there are other people on my course who dont want to learn and are distruptive, there are only about 3 people on that course who want to learn, so the teachers can see that and give us help when we need it and concentrate fully on us, as the teachers say there you can only get as much out of the course as you put in, so if you put the effort in they will help, but if you dont they wont.

James
Old 31 Dec 2007, 00:23 (Ref:2096843)   #71
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I know the lecturers at Lackham - and yes they are very good and have access to a lot of the industry
Old 31 Dec 2007, 09:05 (Ref:2096993)   #72
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

Who do you know at Lackham

James
Old 1 Feb 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2118448)   #73
MotorPsycho1934
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wrexham (Uni) Rustington (Home)
MotorPsycho1934 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys

I'm coming to the end of my third year doing Performance Car Technology (BEng Hons)

I'm looking to get into engine building preferably, got experience working with big american V8s up to 2000bhp from drag racing

Just looking for a list of motorsport engine builders in the UK and places to apply
Old 10 Feb 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2125801)   #74
Element
Rookie

Element should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys,

Greetings from Oz.

Some of the advice given in this thread is really good so i thought ide give it a go.

Anyone here have any advice as to study etc when it comes to us over here in Australia, im currently studying Mechanical Engineering and motorsport as my second major at The Queensland University of Technology.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2190441)   #75
Fisher
Rookie

Fisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I'm a Kingston University Student graduating this summer. Looking to move to Nottingham in September and trying to find companies that may have suitable work for me.

BEng (hons) Motorsport Engineering and experience of wind tunnel development in industry, Design & FEA/CFD and have worked for endurance racing team over the last couple of years. Adaptable jack of all trades (master of none).

Are there teams/constructors close by? I have dredges quite hard and found not so many. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks