Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Feb 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1232982)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maserati Confirmation

dailysportscar.com just broke the story that Maserati will indeed enter the entire ALMS season for 2005... go check out the site for the details of the agreement including regs and such. 1 car for Risi with support from AF Corse with another car to come later in the year (presumably after the Le Mans break)

another interesting thing is that Atherton promises more substantial news from other manufacturers in the coming weeks... congrats to the ALMS!

looks like the Maserati situation is finally taking shape in both the ALMS and FIA GT
Old 23 Feb 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1232995)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't wait to get pictures of it at Sebring...

If I can get through the crowds to get a chance to take a few frames, that is...

YES........

SeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeBring!!!!

I can't wait!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Feb 2005, 00:30 (Ref:1232998)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, I think Tim is excited again everybody. Seriously though, yeah excellent news both for the ALMS and Maserati. This years ALMS is shaping up to be the best ever IMO.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 00:37 (Ref:1233003)   #4
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Can ALMS impose extra restrictions if the car is faster than the legal cars (e.g. Corvette).
Old 23 Feb 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1233005)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Can ALMS impose extra restrictions if the car is faster than the legal cars (e.g. Corvette).
Yes.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 01:53 (Ref:1233017)   #6
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Hmm, I think Tim is excited again everybody. Seriously though, yeah excellent news both for the ALMS and Maserati. This years ALMS is shaping up to be the best ever IMO.
wow, this could be the first case of unabashed optimism about the future of the ALMS i've seen in a while... i am right there with you SALEEN and hopefully the next months will shut the naysayers up!
Old 23 Feb 2005, 01:54 (Ref:1233018)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
It is interesting news, and much anticipated. The way the article is written it implies that the car won't have to be carved in half and two inches removed and then epoxied back together agian, that they are going to adjust if necessary through other means.

Well.

Tim, I will see you at Sebring! Interested in seeing what the Corvette is going to do with not only the Aston, but also the upstart from Italy. And Acemco's Saleen looked mighty impressive to me on Wednesday during test days. Oh, and the Labre Ferrari too!

robert
Old 23 Feb 2005, 02:28 (Ref:1233026)   #8
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Maserati be allowed to score points in the ALMS? I have heard that it won't be awarded any ALMS championship points.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:44 (Ref:1233055)   #9
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Maserati will not score ALMS points, but will be classified in the position they finish in and are eligible for podiums.

Makes an already great field even greater. Should be a fantastic event.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 04:02 (Ref:1233064)   #10
tblincoe
Veteran

the Maserati will still have to be reprofiled for 2006 so that it can race in the ALMS with full points allowed as well as the LMES and Le Mans... it will be interesting to see when Maserati completes the new car and gets it homologated.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 05:48 (Ref:1233104)   #11
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i sure hope for Maserati that when all is said and done, the car is super competitive, because they have absolutely poured money into the project like i've never seen.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1233115)   #12
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Know let's see what the Corvette people are gonna do.

I hope they take this news well, and get the car ready to go fast, real fast.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1233145)   #13
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster
Know let's see what the Corvette people are gonna do.

I hope they take this news well, and get the car ready to go fast, real fast.
thats exactly what they've done in the past and will do in the future. in my mind this is a positive for Corvette and i think they share the same view...
Old 23 Feb 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1233449)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Andrea Bertolini, Fabio Babini and "a big name" (Herbert? Salo?) confirmed for the Risi Maserati, according to lmsr, with Bertolini down for the full season.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1233527)   #15
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Press release with all the restrictions is available on ALMS website: http://www.americanlemans.com/News/A...spx?NewsID=831

So the width will be reduced from 2100 mm to 2066 mm and the nose will be shorten to comply with the length 5000 mm, like FIA GT spec. The width is still illegal for ACO (should be 2000 mm) and front/rear overhang is not correct either.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1233531)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Salo is the one dsc is reporting.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Feb 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1233563)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Seems plausible. I wonder what this means for Herbert and de Simone. The second Vitaphone car? The second Risi car, when it appears? The JMB Maseratis?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1234602)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Another quick question: can someone clarify whether the Maserati in the ALMS will run under the Risi Competizione banner or as Maserati Corse?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1234603)   #19
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Another quick question: can someone clarify whether the Maserati in the ALMS will run under the Risi Competizione banner or as Maserati Corse?
Good question -- this is what they said in yesterdays press release:

Quote:
Maserati will partecipate with one MC12 directly managed by the Maserati Race Dept. in compliance with the rules of IMSA. It has been made possible also thanks to the deep co-operation of important partners, including Pirelli and the Team Risi, that will support Maserati logistically.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1234643)   #20
tblincoe
Veteran

i really don't know, but i could see them running the car under the AF Corse Risi Competizione banner...
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1234758)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
But was not AF Corse a convenient fiction for the works Maserati team to race in FIA GTs (being, I believe, the team which supervises and services the Maserati Trofeo)?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1234838)   #22
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
But was not AF Corse a convenient fiction for the works Maserati team to race in FIA GTs (being, I believe, the team which supervises and services the Maserati Trofeo)?
yes, but in the DSC article it was said that Risi would be recieving support from AF Corse... the ALMS and dailysportscar.com articles differ in that respect.

either way i really don't care, all that matters is i'm gonna be able to see an MC-12 at Sebring and Petit!!!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1234994)   #23
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AF Corse will enter the car, supported by Risi.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1235069)   #24
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems the ACO is lived, because they have not been informed by the ALMS organizers about the acceptance of the MC12 for Sebring!
On top of that the MC12 entry came in AFTER the latest date for the entries....
I'm not sure Aston Martin and Corvette will be pleased with the Maserati coming and blowing them all away!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1235078)   #25
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangio
It seems the ACO is lived, because they have not been informed by the ALMS organizers about the acceptance of the MC12 for Sebring!
On top of that the MC12 entry came in AFTER the latest date for the entries....
I'm not sure Aston Martin and Corvette will be pleased with the Maserati coming and blowing them all away!
I think you'll find the agreement to allow Maserati into the ALMS was only taken after much consultation with these manufacturers.

As for the ACO.........