Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1256010)   #1
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Toyota's pace genuine?

Obviously they are genuinely fast over one lap. However there is a large question mark over whether they can maintain such a high level of pace over a race distance.

TGF, expressed the view that during the race the Toyota's will get "slower, slower and slower".

I doubt that very much, and I for one expect Toyota to take a podium this weekend. Considering Mike G approach to testing, to me it is obvious that his emphasis is on the performance of the car over a race distance. Therefore, if anything, I expect Toyota to be even more impressive during the race.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1256011)   #2
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope so - it would really mix the whole thing up and with the cash they have surely it can only get better.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1256015)   #3
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I believe Toyota have arrived as front runners in F1. They had the pace throughout the weekend at Melbourne (even if they lucked onto P2), and once the race started, they were clearly the second fastest car until Trulli pitted (he was the first to stop, but only by a lap). If it wasn't for Trulli's tyre delaminating, Toyota could've very well been on the podium at Melbourne.

This weekend, they've been on the pace during all the sessions. Put two very consistant qualifying laps up. I believe they could do very well this Grand Prix, and perhaps get a podium position.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1256037)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They usually do flatter to decieve in qualifying, and Trulli in particular is associated with being excellent in qualifying but merely 'quite good' in the race. While they looked impressive this time, in all the sessions so far, tehre are question marks remaining - in particular, have they set the car up to handle well initially, but perhaps oversteer as the rear tyres wear out (which has been their problem in the past; the ITV commentary noted that Alonso had intentionally included some understeer in teh initial setup, as this will go as the race continues)? They are clearly a genuine top 5 threat, and the podium could come, but I'll remain reserved until we've seen the race.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1256056)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Toyotas pace, for me, is pretty genuine. But it is spoiled by the tyre wear problems at present.

I can see Toyota getting stronger and stronger as the season goes on. They should be podium contenders by mid-season if they can cure their problems.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1256100)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But in Melbourn Trulli wasn't actually that fast and presumably he burnt up the tires trying to keep up with Fisi's casual pace. This is why I find this so surprising, they have legitimate pace and fuel loads have nothing to do with it. It's quiet conceivable that as MS has suggested, Toyota's pace may be higher in qualifying than during the race. Recall in 2002 how successful Williams was in qualifying. Given that passing will likely be impossible, it probably won't matter as much as it would have in the last few years.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1256101)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They have the pace over a single lap....and if theyve managed to solve their tyre wear problem they certainly will be challengers....
Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1256104)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
They are clearly a genuine top 5 threat, and the podium could come, but I'll remain reserved until we've seen the race.
and lets not forget there still is another qually session to come.... and with the gaps being so small one small mistake could cost them several places on the grid... Jarno and RS still have to deliver tommorow morining in qually 2
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1256161)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They said pre-season that they wanted to finish the season "as the second quickest" team in F1. They've cracked how to do that in Qualifying, to me it's only a matter of time before they translate that to Race results. Unless of course, the tyre wear is an incurable design 'fault' in the car ?
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1256176)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_White

TGF, expressed the view that during the race the Toyota's will get "slower, slower and slower".

Maybe little brother Ralf told Michael that he expects the Toyota to get slower and slower, as the race wore on. They are brothers, and brothers talk.

I mean, how else would Michael know this, or even suspect it?

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1256177)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think Trullis problem in Melbourne was an isolated one-off.

Post first qually they seem to be quite optimistic for the second qually and during practice they did some tyre evaluation which suggests they'll be OK in the race also.

During winter testing they did have some problems with rear tyre wear,but the TF105 is a different beast now.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1256180)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Maybe little brother Ralf told Michael that he expects the Toyota to get slower and slower, as the race wore on. They are brothers, and brothers talk.

I mean, how else would Michael know this, or even suspect it?
Ralf seems to have a habit of letting TGF know how things are with his car.Can't imagine Toyota would be too pleased with that,maybe he's just bluffing.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1256191)   #13
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
I think Trullis problem in Melbourne was an isolated one-off.

Post first qually they seem to be quite optimistic for the second qually and during practice they did some tyre evaluation which suggests they'll be OK in the race also.

During winter testing they did have some problems with rear tyre wear,but the TF105 is a different beast now.

I (grudingly) Agree. Ralf didnt have any real tyre issues in Melbourne, his seat belt came loose and he had to pit.
However i still think their single lap pace flatters their race pace ever so slightly.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1256196)   #14
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's interesting is the apparant sense of optimism in the team. That's such an importnat thing. They believe that points and podiums can be on - which after last season's performance is a real turnaround.

I think that was such a feature at BAR last year.

In the same way, could Toyota surprise and leapfrog the mid-pack and start competing with the big-lads? I think so.