Alinco 0 0%
Other - let me know!! 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Jun 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1324779)   #101
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Harding
The MSA's withdrawal means that other users (non motorsport) may also have a licence and get in our way.
A shopping centre at Warrington uses it - I've picked up their traffic (along with Oulton's!) at Three Sisters
Old 7 Nov 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1454528)   #102
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scanners

I am considering investing in a scanner for next season. Anyone got suggestions of where to buy, frequencies etc.

Thanks
Andyt
Old 7 Nov 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1454531)   #103
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT
I am considering investing in a scanner for next season. Anyone got suggestions of where to buy, frequencies etc.

Thanks
Andyt
From ebay, look for icom. An R2 should cost you £40-50 and if you get the right lead, you can program it through your PC.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1454540)   #104
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maplin Electronics or E-Bay

Mine has a range of frequencies from 78 to 500 and stores 50 channels.

The smaller ones are easier to fit in a pocket but sometimes the reception isn't as good.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1454619)   #105
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use GRE 216 bought from Maplin about £60 about size of normal hand held radio

Just come into its own on Cambrian rally were car 0 reported spec problem at our location whihc we had dealt with already and were able to liaise with nearest radio car much quicker
Old 7 Nov 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1454683)   #106
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen Swallow I have got a MAYCOM AR-108. It come from Maplin Electronics. I would not be without it now? As i have used it all this year with no problems at all.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1454706)   #107
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Virtually all our crew use the Maycom AR-108 too, and have done so for the best part of the last three years, good quality and excellent value for money. Good life from batteries too.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1454754)   #108
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An old Realistic PRO 28,made by RadioShack.
Had it for years,does the job and I find it invaluable .
Old 8 Nov 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1455289)   #109
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uniden Bearcat for me, around £80 but well worth it. Does every thing bar wipe yer bum!
Old 8 Nov 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1455376)   #110
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schrammy, next time you're @ Mallorey I'll show you how to do it, that'll make your hair grow!
Old 8 Nov 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1455657)   #111
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before or after breakfast?
Old 8 Nov 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1455680)   #112
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After of course, wouldn't miss a Mallory Breakfast for anything!
Old 5 Apr 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1571616)   #113
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best place to buy a scanner?

Can anyone reccomend the best/cheapest place to buy a scanner, my better half is starting Flagging this year and would like a scanner.
Yes I am aware of the rules etc, but I I can use one for lots of years without causing mayhem then Angela who is at at least 4634 times brighter than me (rough guess) should be able to manage.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1571627)   #114
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briggs
Can anyone reccomend the best/cheapest place to buy a scanner, my better half is starting Flagging this year and would like a scanner.
Yes I am aware of the rules etc, but I I can use one for lots of years without causing mayhem then Angela who is at at least 4634 times brighter than me (rough guess) should be able to manage.
Ebay's always good - Icom R2 or R5. Just let's not bid on the same one eh!

If anyone has the knowledge of where to get the programming leads and/or can post the necessary frequencies?
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1571629)   #115
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the rules regarding marshals' use of scanners? Can someone point me to them?
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1571631)   #116
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I've just had a quick look on eBay. The typical 'buy it now' price for a Maycom AR108, which is the scanner I'd recommend, is around £50 - £20 cheaper than places like Maplins.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1571645)   #117
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a Uniden UBC72XLT, got it from Nevada Radio in Portsmouth, www.nevada.co.uk, came with rechargeables and charger, about £80 last year.
Don't get one with many more batts, my old one had 6 batts and weighed a ton (not good bouncing against body when running)
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1571648)   #118
mick dickens
Racer

England
bollington
mick dickens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we are told in final instructions not to use them. never found out where it says so in the blue book. As for the law,joke, of the land it is only illegal to use information heard on them but not to listen to them. Mind you the joke,law, may have changed over the last few years. dont think some race controllers like us to no how bad they are.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1571656)   #119
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoigh
Are the rules regarding marshals' use of scanners? Can someone point me to them?
Some Clubs over here don't particularly like marshals using scanners as there have been instances in the past where people have responded to a request for a red flag BEFORE the Clerk of the Course authorised it

From my own perspective, I'm happy for members of my team to have scanners as they can hear my conversations with race control and work out what I want them to do without me having to run up and down a long pit lane or shout in a most unladylike fashion!

A case in point was some years ago when I had an incident occur at the top end of Donington Pit Lane when the cars were lined up at the bottom end to leave for their practice laps. The chap on the exit had a scanner and therefore could release the cars without delay.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1571660)   #120
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Most important thing, if you choose to listen to one, is NOT to act on hearing anything!!!! You can prepare for things, but normal eyesight / reaction to flags on neighbouring posts etc is expected.

I have found some observers are happy for their use, others not. BARC finals never list them as a no-no anymore, but I'd say you still need some sort of agreement on post.

Steve

PS Someone asked about frequencies - try looking on marshalspost.com. Most are on there.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1571662)   #121
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Seems as though the powers that be recognise that marshals now use scanners because last Saturday the only comment about scanners in the Observers notes was that scanners, if used, should be kept away from the phone.

Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1571678)   #122
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I have heard race control asking if anyone on post ### with a scanner to inform their observer to hang the phone up before now. But on the other hand I have known meetings with so much radio traffic I had to switch it off as it was distracting
Old 5 Apr 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1571682)   #123
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
Seems as though the powers that be recognise that marshals now use scanners because last Saturday the only comment about scanners in the Observers notes was that scanners, if used, should be kept away from the phone.

The reasoning behind this is that some Observers don't use an earpiece with their scanner and, when on the phone to RC, all the girls can hear is Geoff on the radio (Whos' sat right next to them in RC anyway) via the telephone. There is potential for misheard instructions from the Observer to RC.

Ian,
I've had a Maycom AR108 for the last 4-5 yrs. Very good, and if you can get hold of the CPC Electronics catalogue, you can get one for around £70
Old 5 Apr 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1571710)   #124
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I asked in the training day (BARC) last year about scanners, the resposne was that, It USED to be frowned on but the fact that every one else (specatators, st johns, blah blah) has them why should everyone else know what is going on except the marshals themselves. We were told, as everyone has stated, DON'T react on them wait for the Red Flages to run round the track as normal. Don't take them trackside unless WELL secured on a belt or in a closable pocket, Only use ONE ear piece.

I always ask the observer is he has any objections if it is one i haven't had before just out of politeness, I have never had anyone complain yet and often have had observers if i caught the last message.

Last edited by danccooke; 5 Apr 2006 at 20:33. Reason: spelin isues
Old 5 Apr 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1571812)   #125
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Useful tip number 2 - get a set of headphones that are the hook round the ear type, rather than the in-ear ones. Phillips do a set for about £8 (although there are cheaper versions). Useful if you are running around, or if you are wearing ear defenders, and you can put them on easily with gloves of any type on.

Sorry, back to the scanner discussion...

Al