Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 7 Dec 2022, 17:24 (Ref:4136374)   #1
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2023 World Rallycross

The 2023 calendar has been released, a return to Lydden
https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/w...ndar-for-2023/

Hopefully the entry will be bigger than this year
Old 7 Dec 2022, 20:29 (Ref:4136386)   #2
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Jussi Pinomäki (Vauhdin Maailma interview), in an ideal situation there should be at least 12 cars next year FIA World RX. He said the promoter had announced cars could be 10-13
Old 7 Dec 2022, 21:47 (Ref:4136388)   #3
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news that the older event format is back as well. Give the organizers some credit for recognising that the change wasn't well received and reversing it instead of trying to force it to stick.
Old 8 Dec 2022, 09:33 (Ref:4136413)   #4
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or is it a case of the 'bigger, F1' circuits wanted too much money to host, and the traditional circuits are more realistic?
Old 8 Dec 2022, 11:12 (Ref:4136430)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Or is it a case of the 'bigger, F1' circuits wanted too much money to host, and the traditional circuits are more realistic?
I think reality has bitten - they've finally realised they're not a huge championship and they're now cutting their cloth accordingly.
Old 8 Dec 2022, 14:01 (Ref:4136462)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Nürburgring, Spa-Francorchamps and Barcelona have a trillion events every year, I'm pretty sure they don't mind losing rallycross.
Old 9 Dec 2022, 09:35 (Ref:4136541)   #7
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they’re is no supercars for this event I’m not going to bother.
Old 9 Dec 2022, 12:09 (Ref:4136562)   #8
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Yeah, could be that. Comments online seem to suggest that Spa is doing building work which will cover the rallycross layout? The issues (or rather cost) of using Silverstone is something that has been discussed previously. Surprised not to see Barcelona back but, as said, I am sure they have plenty of other stuff to keep the circuit busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie
If they’re is no supercars for this event I’m not going to bother.
Sure one of the Lydden posts mentions about additional support to be announced, though I would think that is most likely to be Retros?
Old 9 Dec 2022, 17:16 (Ref:4136596)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The FIA European Rallycross still has the RX1 class, am I right?
Old 9 Dec 2022, 17:54 (Ref:4136604)   #10
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
The FIA European Rallycross still has the RX1 class, am I right?
Yeah, that's right.

Just seen a post from Lydden that the 5 Nations Supercars will run that weekend as a points scoring round for the 2023 Championship. Not the full RX1 field, but at least we get some Supercars.
Old 10 Dec 2022, 08:41 (Ref:4136672)   #11
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see World RX going back to traditional venues and the old format. Hopefully this will see a return of some fans.

Lydden Hill should be a great event. 12 RX1 & RX2 each with 15-20 Supercars is my prediction. New access road will certainly help. Can't wait for it
Old 17 Apr 2023, 09:22 (Ref:4151957)   #12
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Loeb returns for 2023...

World Rallycross - Loen Is Back

...at the wheel of a second GCK Delta. Good boost for the Championship I'd say: a serious competitor and someone who can hopefully help extract the full potential of the car.
Old 9 May 2023, 15:25 (Ref:4155249)   #13
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This does not look good for the entries at Lydden if then can only cobble together 10 WRX entries for the first round.

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/w...al-next-month/
Old 9 May 2023, 16:42 (Ref:4155265)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozi View Post
This does not look good for the entries at Lydden if then can only cobble together 10 WRX entries for the first round.

Besides RX1e and RX2e no support series?
Correct me if I am wrong but RX2e has only 6 or 7 full season entries.
Old 9 May 2023, 19:47 (Ref:4155295)   #15
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Perhaps it will sink in soon that know ones interested in electric rallycross
Old 12 May 2023, 16:37 (Ref:4155729)   #16
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:

I was hoping they'd be a little further into double figures this year.
Old 12 Jun 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4163416)   #17
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disappointingly the Lydden joker is going back to the first corner, FIA rules means it can't use the part of the track where cars line up. It's going to mean the cars getting split at the first corner again and getting strung out.
Hopefully it won't spoil the much improved Tallethingy... Chessons.The jump is staying which I'm still not a fan of but hey it's what some people want.
Old 13 Jun 2023, 09:34 (Ref:4163494)   #18
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Disappointingly the Lydden joker is going back to the first corner, FIA rules means it can't use the part of the track where cars line up. It's going to mean the cars getting split at the first corner again and getting strung out.
Hopefully it won't spoil the much improved Tallethingy... Chessons.The jump is staying which I'm still not a fan of but hey it's what some people want.
Yeah, the jump is maybe a bit of a gimmick, but the "new" Chessons is great.

I hope there will be a ruling on turn one jokers, so we continue to see complete packs heading into turn one at the start of a race. Wonder if they will put a chicane or something into the tarmac loop to slow the cars down?
Old 13 Jun 2023, 12:52 (Ref:4163517)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I hope there will be a ruling on turn one jokers, so we continue to see complete packs heading into turn one at the start of a race. Wonder if they will put a chicane or something into the tarmac loop to slow the cars down?
That's a shame, the revised joker was much better - hopefully they'll still use that for the British meetings. A 'no joker on lap 1' rule would help with first corner jokers. I assume they'll have to put a chicane in otherwise there's going to be some serious speed carried into the merge. Is the joker going to rejoin Chessons where it used to or further down the Dover Slope?

Quote:
Hopefully it won't spoil the much improved Tallethingy... Chessons.
Quote:
but the "new" Chessons is great.
Agreed - much better than it had been recently.

Quote:
The jump is staying which I'm still not a fan of but hey it's what some people want.
Quote:
Yeah, the jump is maybe a bit of a gimmick,
The jump is a complete gimmick and adds nothing to the racing - it does however give some good photo opportunities. Again I think the current jump works a lot better than the 'jump' they had previously where the joker rejoined Chessons.
Old 13 Jun 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4163523)   #20
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Is the joker going to rejoin Chessons where it used to or further down the Dover Slope?
The post on the Lydden Facebook page, says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydden Hill Facebook
With the start line area, including jump start system, used in World RX needing to be separate to the racing lap, the joker has been moved to the outside of the first corner, before returning to the loose surface after Talledega, before the jump!
Best guess is the joker lap will cut back in to the standard lap roughly where Chessons originally exited onto the Dover Slope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The jump is a complete gimmick and adds nothing to the racing - it does however give some good photo opportunities. Again I think the current jump works a lot better than the 'jump' they had previously where the joker rejoined Chessons.
Yeah, I agree. The Chessons "jump" was a bit of a non-event. The new jump is at least good for pictures and right in front of the crowd.
Old 13 Jun 2023, 13:45 (Ref:4163527)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Can't they just ban taking the joker on the first lap?
Old 15 Jun 2023, 18:21 (Ref:4163909)   #22
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Can't they just ban taking the joker on the first lap?
That would be ideal, and was the case in Norway last year. I read somewhere it was an FIA ruling in which case that could be for all circuits. Let's hope so.
Old 16 Jun 2023, 08:58 (Ref:4163971)   #23
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
That would be ideal, and was the case in Norway last year. I read somewhere it was an FIA ruling in which case that could be for all circuits. Let's hope so.
Just had a look at the regulations, this should cover it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiA World Rallycross Regulations 2023
15.2b Joker Lap

The Joker Lap can be used in practice.
In each Heat, Semi-Final or Final, one of the laps must be the Joker
Lap. The penalty for Drivers who take it more time than they are
required to will be decided by the stewards. One judge of fact will
be appointed to note how many times the cars pass through. If the
Joker Lap is in the first corner, it cannot be used in the first lap of
a race.
If a Driver, for any reason, takes the Joker lap in the first
lap of a race where the Joker Lap is in the first corner, it will be
considered void and the Driver must complete the Joker lap in one
of the remaining laps of the race.
Old 4 Jul 2023, 17:20 (Ref:4166733)   #24
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Absolute masterclass from Kristoffersson at Holjes this weekend. Three rounds in and he hasn't lost a heat, semi or final this year. Sure not everyone feels the same but, given that a significant portion of the cars is shared, I am hugely impressed at how much more speed JK/KMS have found.

Couple of weeks until the Lydden round and I'm really looking forward to the weekend.
Old 22 Jul 2023, 08:56 (Ref:4169384)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
There was a fire in the paddock at Lydden on Friday - the Special ONE Lancias were destroyed in the blaze. As a result the WRX championship will not run on Saturday (Sunday TBC). The other classes will compete as planned:

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/w...hill-incident/

Thankfully it appears that nobody was hurt in the fire, investigations into the cause are ongoing.