Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Sep 2019, 08:20 (Ref:3927286)   #351
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I would think everyone on the grid with a spare 500k would want that seat.
If you gathered everyone on the grid with a spare 500k together, would you need to buy a family meal or a meal for one?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3927287)   #352
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
Honda’s manufacturer backing will be coming to an end before too long. Shedden really wants a BTCC return, so if you add all the things into the mix there’s a “rumour” to be found in there.

"Before too long" so not this season, Honda do well out of BTCC so I don't know where the source of this is from other than Honda pulling their factory out of the UK in a couple of years.
Dynamics have at least 2 cars ready made up, so they dont require a manufacturer support for supply of shells etc, if the backing is reduced then sponsorship would be required to fill the budget gap - same as other teams, it would be a brave move to bring in a new car for 2020 with the bigger regulation changes in 2021.
Considering the issues with Brexit, I am not convinced a big German automotive manufacturer will be committed to targeting UK sales in 2020/21 until there is a bit more stability.

I haven't seen anywhere Shedden is desperate to return to the BTCC, is there an article about this out there?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3927290)   #353
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Very exciting news for Cayman owners! @PorscheGB
@PorscheRaces
unveils "Porsche Sprint Challenge GB ….. feature the 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport”. Split programme between BTCC and Brit GT support slots.
https://twitter.com/addison1972/stat...96774911791104
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3927303)   #354
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So I wonder if there are any new independent teams planning to come in?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:13 (Ref:3927307)   #355
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
"Before too long" so not this season, Honda do well out of BTCC so I don't know where the source of this is from other than Honda pulling their factory out of the UK in a couple of years.
Dynamics have at least 2 cars ready made up, so they dont require a manufacturer support for supply of shells etc, if the backing is reduced then sponsorship would be required to fill the budget gap - same as other teams, it would be a brave move to bring in a new car for 2020 with the bigger regulation changes in 2021.
Considering the issues with Brexit, I am not convinced a big German automotive manufacturer will be committed to targeting UK sales in 2020/21 until there is a bit more stability.

I haven't seen anywhere Shedden is desperate to return to the BTCC, is there an article about this out there?
It all seems a bit like wild speculation at the moment rather than being based on anything definitive coming from Dynamics, Honda, Audi or Shedden.

Since taking the ex-factory Civics in 2004, they have remained with the brand despite only receiving factory backing for part of this period. It would appear (at least from the outside) that it would take a significant investment from another manufacturer to make Dynamics change marques in the BTCC.

In fact recently, Dan Cammish has actually been upping his cross-promotion of Honda products across the social media platforms, so if a departure from the marque was expected soon it doesn't seem to have reached Dan's inbox?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:28 (Ref:3927315)   #356
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Hopefully it'll get a good sized grid as GT4 racing is usually pretty entertaining - though with British GT and Ginetta Supercup doing well, it sounds a bit like a TCR UK-type situation. Maybe stick them on the back of the Carrera Cup grid.

Edit - Will be for Silverstone National and Croft. Sounds like that will be instead of the Carreras for those circuits but wasn't very clear in the article.

Last edited by Evantra; 11 Sep 2019 at 09:54.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3927394)   #357
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It all seems a bit like wild speculation at the moment rather than being based on anything definitive coming from Dynamics, Honda, Audi or Shedden.
There's still plenty of racing left in the 2019 season yet, so anything at this stage will be a "punt".

Honda have been "close" to pulling out for about 5 years now and at one point it took considerable persuasion for TD for them not to, although things have settled down since then, but I think when they pull out of UK production it might become difficult. TD will be well aware of this and will have a plan in place for if/when this does happen.

Shedden wants to come back. He didn't want to leave in the first place. Take that as a given. He WILL be back. No one knows whether it will be next season or further down the line, but he will be back.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3927404)   #358
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
He didn't want to leave in the first place. Take that as a given.
And yet when he left, Team Dynamics, Honda UK, and Shedden himself all stated that is was his decision to leave and take on another opportunity.
Neal: 'He’s got a new and exciting opportunity and we would never hold him back from that.' Team Dynamics then had to search for a replacement?

Quote:
Honda have been "close" to pulling out for about 5 years now and at one point it took considerable persuasion for TD for them not to, although things have settled down since then, but I think when they pull out of UK production it might become difficult. TD will be well aware of this and will have a plan in place for if/when this does happen.
Honda removed their backing as recently as 2016 only providing some technical support, so it's something Dynamics have already been faced with in the past. The main Honda backing comes from the credit services and dealer network, rather than the main production arm anyway, so a lack of production in the UK need not affect their involvement in BTCC.
They probably do have a plan in mind, but where does the Audi suggestion come from?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3927410)   #359
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There's still plenty of racing left in the 2019 season yet, so anything at this stage will be a "punt".

Shedden wants to come back. He didn't want to leave in the first place. Take that as a given. He WILL be back. No one knows whether it will be next season or further down the line, but he will be back.
Motorsport support is driven by sales. I does not matter where the cars are made, its sales that are king
Old 11 Sep 2019, 15:10 (Ref:3927415)   #360
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Motorsport support is driven by sales. I does not matter where the cars are made, its sales that are king

Current BTCC manufacturer entries with UK production:
Vauxhall Astra, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic.

Current BTCC manufacturer entries without UK production:
BMW 330, Subaru Levorg.

We've also recently seen MG and Infiniti as manufacturer entries. Moving the Civic production outside of the UK will not make a bit of difference to Honda UK's decision to support Team Dynamics or not.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3927427)   #361
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone fancy joining the grid?

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...l-toca-licence
Old 11 Sep 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3927437)   #362
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So if the Merc is for sale with a TBL what are the Moffats doing?

Leaving BTCC altogether?
Gettting backing from Infiniti and the guest TBLS from Toca.

Or something else
Old 11 Sep 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3927441)   #363
Maxpower1
Rookie

Maxpower1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post

Leaving BTCC altogether?

Or something else
My money is on bought another team with two tbls with the plan of running a second infinity in 2020.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3927452)   #364
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Leaving BTCC altogether?

Or something else
Infiniti are withdrawing from the UK and Western Europe market in 2020, so no backing from them..

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3927456)   #365
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Leaving BTCC altogether?

Or something else
Purchased another team with 2 TBLs and running both Infinitis
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3927458)   #366
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3927461)   #367
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Ooh... that makes sense. Silly season has begun then!

BMR are the only 2 car team I can see leaving? (Though not convinced the Infinitis are going to be much higher up the grid than the Subarus...)
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3927462)   #368
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If that’s the case then it opens more questions.

What team is selling up. Or my own thoughts are which teams could down size?

Team Hard. Or maybe AMD want to operate just two cars.

So I guess I’ll be first to say that the two Infiniti’s will be piloted by Moffat and Sutton in 2020..
Old 11 Sep 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3927468)   #369
Evantra
Veteran

England
https://twitter.com/lexusuk/status/1...091669510?s=21

Just to add fuel to fire... Lexus UK tweeting about the old IS200s in the BTCC.

I know they're a divison of Toyota so definitely not coming back as a manufacturer, and they're tweeting about the brand's history, but interesting none the less to see the official account tweet about the series.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3927475)   #370
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Ooh... that makes sense. Silly season has begun then!

BMR are the only 2 car team I can see leaving? (Though not convinced the Infinitis are going to be much higher up the grid than the Subarus...)
Yes.

And one of their drivers tested Aidans Infiniti.

Pretty much a done deal. Aidan IS racing in BTCC next year for definite.

Last edited by Alfisti; 11 Sep 2019 at 21:06.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3927478)   #371
Evantra
Veteran

England
Really can't see Ash in an Infiniti though. He's got his eye on TCR, WTCR, etc, and I don't think he's the kind of person to spend a season pottling about in an undeveloped car.

But I'll probably be wrong as usual
Old 11 Sep 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3927481)   #372
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Dynamics won't be featuring GS and Audis next year - utter nonsense I'd say (cue a need to eat humble pie come media day!) GS is earning good $, way more than he can earn in BTCC. Pretty sure he'll jack in WTCR at some point - but very much doubt as soon as next year!

The current Audi A3 is getting old, a new one is due relatively soon (2021 in UK I believe). So it might be possible, especially with the hybrid system to use BTCC as a marketing tool for the next gen hybrid and fully electric Audi A3. VAG overall and VW and Audi brands in particular are aiming at an electric future in a big way.

But who says A3 necessarily? WSR have done a fantastic job with the A4 sized 3 series BMW...
Old 11 Sep 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3927484)   #373
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
GS is earning good $, way more than he can earn in BTCC. Pretty sure he'll jack in WTCR at some point - but very much doubt as soon as next year!
more like wtcr will jack in GS !!
hes failed miserably there and will be back here next year no doubt
Old 11 Sep 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3927487)   #374
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
That's what I would have said. Warren has been trying to offload the team and maybe now with 2 ready built cars Bob is in the position to do a deal. Ash in the Infiniti isn't as daft as it sounds, obviously he's fairly handy in RWD and maybe he's looking to have more input in developing the car from a relatively blank canvas. I don't think the recent test was just for the hell of it either, why would he be openly helping out a rival?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3927493)   #375
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
more like wtcr will jack in GS !!
hes failed miserably there and will be back here next year no doubt
I guess we'll see. You're absolutely right in that Sheds had been bloody awful in the TCR car. Whereas Ash Sutton turned up, drove and seemed at home pretty much immediately. Sutton really is very talented and deserves far better than the donkey he's saddled with currently.