Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Mar 2019, 19:01 (Ref:3889346)   #1151
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We have had old-school style races recently - Le Mans 2017 in LMP1 was very very similar to how most races went in the 80s and 90s. But there were a lot of complaints about how terrible the race was. I personally loved it.

To be fair to IMSA (and the ACO, SRO), are we seeing BoP because that's the feedback they get? When races are decided by reliability, repairability, large gaps and strategy, they tend to get called boring by fans.
Old 10 Mar 2019, 00:21 (Ref:3889390)   #1152
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Races are races in their own right. Some are more different than others. I don’t think we’d quite go back to how racing was in the 80s and 90s.

IMSA though is still going strong, and the rules work fine
Old 10 Mar 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3889495)   #1153
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We are seeing races different from the past. But we’ve had great races in the past too

Here’s to a great 2019 season, which I’m sure it will be
Old 12 Mar 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3889957)   #1154
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
My early general picks for victories in the categories that matter:

12 hours Prototype: 7 Acura
12 hours GTLM: 3 Corvette
12 hours GTD: 29 Audi
1000 mi LMP1: 7 Toyota
1000 mi GTE Pro: 63 Corvette

Calling for a Corvette sweep this week!
Old 12 Mar 2019, 20:48 (Ref:3889986)   #1155
S griffin
Veteran

Either way we are sure to have another close season in all categories
Old 14 Mar 2019, 01:07 (Ref:3890277)   #1156
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMSA Prototype Challenge and IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge will be covered by Fanschoice.tv too

https://www.fanschoice.tv/

must register to be able to watch it!!!
Old 19 Mar 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3891827)   #1157
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...-new-dpi-regs/

IMSA investigating a spec chassis for next generation DPi regs.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 14:35 (Ref:3891837)   #1158
S griffin
Veteran

Well it's a good feeder series to the main series
Old 19 Mar 2019, 15:14 (Ref:3891858)   #1159
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

I'm not supportive of this. The ACO for LMP2 and IMSA for DPI already have limited their classes to four (now in reality three, actually, if you don't count Mazda sticking with the Multimatic chassis), chassis choices. Ironically, in the WEC that's what has kept LMP1 alive after the VAG exodus, is that TMG, Oreca/Rebellion and BR Engineering/Dallara, and Kolles are able to build and develop their own cars.

DPI is IMO already spec enough as it is. No more of that, please.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3891887)   #1160
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

That is not at all what that article says. It is a continuation of the current model article with chassis makers allowed to make a similar product.

The core chassis mention is referring to BMW's desire to make one car for all racing series. Taken from the article:
"The concept of a shared hybrid powertrain between DTM, Super GT and DPi has been put forth by BMW Motorsport director Jens Marquardt.

“The use of common parts with a core chassis, not unlike we’ve done but in their case it’s a single-supplier, and their plan incorporate a hybrid powertrain, appears to be a very effective, well thought-out formula,” Atherton said."
Old 19 Mar 2019, 19:05 (Ref:3891891)   #1161
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That is not at all what that article says. It is a continuation of the current model article with chassis makers allowed to make a similar product.

The core chassis mention is referring to BMW's desire to make one car for all racing series. Taken from the article:
"The concept of a shared hybrid powertrain between DTM, Super GT and DPi has been put forth by BMW Motorsport director Jens Marquardt.

“The use of common parts with a core chassis, not unlike we’ve done but in their case it’s a single-supplier, and their plan incorporate a hybrid powertrain, appears to be a very effective, well thought-out formula,” Atherton said."
The sub-title at the top has changed. It initially said IMSA Investigating the possibility of a spec chassis for next-gen regulations. IMSA Facebook group had a discussion on it and the first comments at the bottom talk about it too.

It now doesn't mention it. Whether that was a typo or it was picked up like the original Sebring report, who knows.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:14 (Ref:3891927)   #1162
S griffin
Veteran

Glad it has been clarified. Can’t see the top series going spec. Shame it looks like social media may have spread a false rumour. Glad it has had the clarification that it should never have needed
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:58 (Ref:3891945)   #1163
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Perhaps it's my inability to read between the lines, but does that article actually say anything new or newsworthy? I'm interested to see where IMSA goes with DPi but I don't feel I learned anything by reading that.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3891952)   #1164
S griffin
Veteran

Well there was nothing new there. That’s what happened
Old 20 Mar 2019, 00:08 (Ref:3891967)   #1165
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Perhaps it's my inability to read between the lines, but does that article actually say anything new or newsworthy? I'm interested to see where IMSA goes with DPi but I don't feel I learned anything by reading that.
Interesting. Remember that the next time you see a link to that site. It's a little known for posting significant sounding titles, with not a lot of concrete news behind it.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3892178)   #1166
S griffin
Veteran

Yeah. Not all internet stories are what the headline say. You have to read the whole story first
Old 21 Mar 2019, 02:02 (Ref:3892352)   #1167
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A surprisingly enjoyable article on the imsa BOP man in charge Geoff Carter

https://autoweek.com/article/imsa/im...s-geoff-carter
Old 21 Mar 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3892398)   #1168
S griffin
Veteran

Well I hope he continues to do enough for the series for a while yet
Old 21 Mar 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3892456)   #1169
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is entertaining to read and hear how they allow him the latitude to put the BOP figures on the teams rather than IMSA coming up with everything themselves. And it seems like it's working for the most part so far but it's a long season still to go.
Old 21 Mar 2019, 23:10 (Ref:3892587)   #1170
S griffin
Veteran

Indeed. Good article. Seems they got the BoP right here. Only punishing individual teams and not overdoing it. Hopefully the series will continue to go well
Old 21 Mar 2019, 23:23 (Ref:3892598)   #1171
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Indeed. Good article. Seems they got the BoP right here. Only punishing individual teams and not overdoing it. Hopefully the series will continue to go well
They aren't punishing individual teams at all, that driver couldn't handle the style required to drive the car fast and has since switched cars. The BOP applies to ALL cars of that make not individual teams or drivers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 25 Mar 2019, 14:06 (Ref:3893258)   #1172
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Looking ahead we get Long Beach ahead which is a nice change of pace. I like the DPI/GTLM format only. Feels like an all star race.

I think GTD is entering a bit of a silly season now. Plenty of time to announce and form a sprint cup program still. Hopefully we'll get some announcements. Possible other teams that have already done the 36 hours of Florida need to sort the full season driving squad too.
Old 26 Mar 2019, 01:14 (Ref:3893391)   #1173
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I'm with you there, think the option to run just the sprint series may bring a few extras in. Think more likely additional cars with the same team over a new team but it will also bring McLaren in to the mix as well. Sadly I won't get to see them at Petit though

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 4 Apr 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3895209)   #1174
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 365 article has a few possible bits of info ... IMSA is not fixed on the current four suppliers (I expect Multimatic might be replaced?) IMSA is not doing hypercars, and Scott Atherton has invented a new, even more ridiculous corporate-speak phrase: "but we must retain the core tentpole elements .... "

That's good ... I'd hate for IMSA to lose its core tentpoles.
Old 4 Apr 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3895267)   #1175
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
... and Scott Atherton has invented a new, even more ridiculous corporate-speak phrase: "but we must retain the core tentpole elements .... "

That's good ... I'd hate for IMSA to lose its core tentpoles.
The 'tentpole' thing is marketing jargon that has been around a while but is making a resurgence, being broght back into the big top and center ring as it were.