Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 26 Jun 2000, 19:33 (Ref:19655)   #1
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, with the sad, sad, sad death of a competetor and marshel at Goodwood, should there be more done to try and ensure safety, including at rallies and hillclimbes.
I think that all that tcan be done is done, but We can't have people dieing like this, it is a sad thing.
What can be done?
Old 26 Jun 2000, 20:15 (Ref:19659)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good spelling Lee.... Glastonbury good I guess, looks like the substances haven't yet worn off!!!

Circuit safety is pretty good... Goodwood hillclimb is a rather different prospect though.. Straw bails aren't going to spot much, a real tradegy.

Driving standards still need to keep good though, I had a Formula Vee spinning at me on Saturday, whilst I was on the track and yellow and red flags waving!!! Not very good.
Old 26 Jun 2000, 20:41 (Ref:19663)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really Dan. A tradegy.

No nead to abuze hem four speling in their?
Old 26 Jun 2000, 21:08 (Ref:19666)   #4
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
He He, spelling has never been my stong point.
And yes, I am still suffering a little bit from the weekend
How can anyone allow a formula Vee to spin under red flags?? The driving standards must be poor.
But, as you say, Straw bails?? Not really up to standard.
Old 26 Jun 2000, 21:15 (Ref:19668)   #5
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess if you go to Goodwood FoS, the main attraction is the proximity of the cars - on normal circuits we're far removed from the action (apart from a certain circuit I know of) so the very success of FoS has been because there actually ARE straw bales instead of miles of gravel and catch fencing.

It's a special event so do we accept, as enthusiasts, that getting nearer the cars will necessarily bring a rise in danger? I bloody do.

Hillclimbs are rather different - kind of. But I don't remember hearing of a death lately, although that shouldn't stop anyone from improving the safety of them. I suppose there's always some danger when cars are involved - crowds at hillclimbs are usually stood up away from the road on the bank, and thanks to gravity cars tend to rebound off the bank and back downwards.

That's my two penneth - short because I want to go back to Gran Turismo... (got myself the Cerbera racing version)
Old 26 Jun 2000, 21:21 (Ref:19670)   #6
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were very large straw bales...

Seriously, the problem didn't seem to be the bales, but the fact that the gantry could be hit by the car in the first place. I don't want to go into too many details, 'cos it's not nice, but needless to say that the marshalls at least wouldn't have been so badly hurt if the gantry had not collapsed.

I would have hoped that the organisers of motorsport events would have learned from this years Brazilian GP that you don't hang things over the track which don't need to be there (especially when there is a joke about the start gantry once collapsing, and very narrowly missing a car in this years program...) And if they do decide that they want the overhanging gantry, why weren't the supports further apart to lessen the likelyhood of an errant car striking them ?

I had a hugely enjoyable day at Goodwood, as did many thousands of others, but the weekend was totally overshadowed by this tragedy. This event MUST continue, but there really should be a review of safety - even if it means putting armco behind the bales - as there are large numbers of people trackside and, as has been said, bales are not up to the job on their own.

This last comment is especially important if they are going to allow Mike Gascoyne back next time!
Old 27 Jun 2000, 07:34 (Ref:19762)   #7
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually saw the crash on TV last night.. that car didn't look to brake very much, if at all..

One of the big problems I think, is that you have marshals standing with nothing between them and the cars... not too bad if you do, but you have to be ready to move bloody quick if something goes pear shaped.. At Goodwood, the vast majority of the cars aren't really pushing hard or have decent drivers, so you wouldn't expect anything to go wrong. But when it does, then you might not be in a position to move.. And I have a feeling that none of those guys standing on the finishing straight moved very far..

So in future, you could have runs where cars are just driving up the hill, then when you have timed runs - all officials are moved to a safe place.. that's what'll happen in the future I think..

Can't waait for the circuit racing in September though!!
Old 27 Jun 2000, 11:39 (Ref:19792)   #8
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, it was a very tragic event. Although I was there on saturday - I didn't realise what had happened 'til I got home - we weren't really told anything.

It does put a bit of a damper on my first trip to Goodwood, but then, as a climber I also risk my life for the sake of enjoying myself and deem it worth it (whilst always trying to minimise the risks)- it's very hard on the family though.

On a lighter note, it was a thouroughly fantastic day - I saw some of the most beautiful and famous cars in history - and what's more they were being driven hard. Brilliant. If you're interested I have some pics at...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...1691&a=6924398

Old 27 Jun 2000, 18:51 (Ref:19871)   #9
Graham
Veteran

Best not plug the pics in the forums, old stick. Lee has been known to resort to kneecappings
If you want to tell people about new pics, shove a post in the Cool Sites forum - although I've already done that for you this time. Great pics BTW.

PS. A warm welcome to another Combe-er!
Old 27 Jun 2000, 19:02 (Ref:19873)   #10
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops, I realise now that it isn't the done thing. Please ignore this rookies error. (after first looking at the pics, hehe)
Old 28 Jun 2000, 17:07 (Ref:19991)   #11
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Hi there stefan, welcome to ten-tenths and in particular, to all other classes.
Cool Photos.
What types of racing are you into? Maybe you could start a new topic, and we can all chat about it, and give you our views etc.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 09:18 (Ref:20194)   #12
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
Hello, Lee. Thanks for the welcome - glad you liked the photos.
I've always enjoyed watching formula 1 on the telly but this year I've decided to go and watch some live motorsport and I'm completely hooked. Castle Combe is the nearest circuit for me and I love the variety available there (from minis to ferraris). Walking around the paddock is always a highlight too - it has a great atmosphere with plenty of opportunities for interesting photos.
I must admit that I'm a bit of a nostalgia freak - Goodwood last weekend was simply fantastic. It's a real treat to see some of the most famous and beautiful cars in history actually being used.
I've recently been emailing a chap called Michel Gosset after discovering some spectacular pictures of his of Le Mans in the mid 60's - I've added a link in the cool sites forum. It must truly have been one of the most exciting times - GT40's P4's 250GTO's. It could be an interesting topic for discussion - was anybody else there?
Old 29 Jun 2000, 12:01 (Ref:20212)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Cool pictures Stefan... Excellent stuff!!!

Are you going to Combe this weekend - I trust you are. If so, could you do us a favour and take a picture of any yellow MG Midget lying around (which should be mine), and make it look as good as the other cars in you album.... Cheers (bit of a challenge that one).

Le Mans in the sixties - must have been incredible... shall have to get the video out tonight and watch Mr McQueen do some laps in his 917.. (ok 1971, but near enough!!)
Old 29 Jun 2000, 14:00 (Ref:20247)   #14
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
Thanks for the kind comments. I'm hoping to go on saturday - can't go both days otherwise my girlfriend will leave me.

I'll look out for you - do you know if the ferraris will be there on saturday?

I was reading about the making of Le Mans - apparently they had a car rigged up with remote control steering and accelerator. But, no brakes???!
Murphy's Law was in top form that day and the car immediately lost control and headed for the camera position, smashing into it, narrowly missing the crew. Oops.
Old 29 Jun 2000, 15:08 (Ref:20257)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
You can see the rear wheels still spinning after all the impacts - full throttle still going and no brakes at all.. There was also a story of Steve McQueen lying in the middle of the track with cars flying at him, just to get the best shots - madness... But what a film!!

Shall check about Ferraris
Old 29 Jun 2000, 17:42 (Ref:20301)   #16
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
I am sure that YES is the answer
Old 29 Jun 2000, 18:19 (Ref:20306)   #17
Graham
Veteran

You're talking about the article in Motorsport recently - interesting stuff. 'Twas all about accidents. The car in question was a Lola T70 made up to look like a Ferrari.

I like the Bruce McLaren bit in this month's issue of Motorsport, but I do wish they'd write more. Almost half the magazine is adverts. Pics are cool though.

PS. Did the XJ13 run up the hill at Goodwood, or was it just in 'pose' mode on the grass? God, those lines and that engine! *drool*

What does it sound like - howl, rumble, growl, whine?

Old 29 Jun 2000, 18:47 (Ref:20308)   #18
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Don't want to be an Arse here, but are we not just getting a little off subject here??
Old 29 Jun 2000, 19:00 (Ref:20309)   #19
Graham
Veteran

Lee, you arse

Of course we are, but I say just let it flow. Sooner or later we'll come back round after we've thought more about the subject...
Old 29 Jun 2000, 20:25 (Ref:20318)   #20
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Graham,

To your ps, Yes the XJ13 did do a run up the hill, I saw it on Sat AM, unfortunatly not a timed run just a demo. As you would expect from a pussy cat, it purred up the hill.

Now, the Porsche 917K of Richard Attwood, that's what you call a car.

Simon
Old 29 Jun 2000, 22:53 (Ref:20344)   #21
Graham
Veteran

Oh, how I want to go and see the XJ13 - one day, one day...

Mind you, I can't say whether I'd be able to pry my eyes from it - I'd become a secondary exhibit

Now, I heard a rumour that it was Norman Dewis that drove it up the hill, the same bloke who was in it when it was destroyed at MIRA. Did he drive it?
Old 30 Jun 2000, 07:39 (Ref:20435)   #22
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Ferraris are on tomorrow... Should be interesting in the wet!!

But can't wait to see the Protons once more, bring 'em on.. I shall be at Quarry for tomorrow (if anyone's interested..).
Old 30 Jun 2000, 08:24 (Ref:20441)   #23
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
you mean your midget isn't in the paddock?! There must be a hundred yellow midgets in the car park!! I was going to ask anyone in the paddock with a yellow midget if they were called Dan, hehe.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 08:30 (Ref:20442)   #24
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
It'll be parked in the marshal car park, just before you get to Quarry. Reg - DCP 608V. I don't think it'll be enjoying the rain somehow...
Old 30 Jun 2000, 09:45 (Ref:20456)   #25
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back about 3 postings to the XJ13, I saw the Lynx replica being driven out of Donnington about a month ago, at the AMOC meeting up there. It looked absolutely perfect, I think the only difference from the original was the engine was running on standard 2 valve heads whereas I think the original had 4 valve heads. The look was absolutely spot on though. I seem to recall Lynx will build you one for c. £100k. Time to start saving those pennies Graham!

PS Say hi to our crew at Combe Dan, I stupidly booked holiday starting tommorrow so I'm missing it!

PPS Sports cars 67-71, the most dramatic era ever? Discuss.