Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jan 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3876056)   #551
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
E.B, tu quoque Alfa fan, may be you ca spot two cars with mega beurk color! Hope the TZ1 is a replica…
Hehehe @ Gérard all Alfas should be 'Fire Engine' red! (or yellow, in fact just not green)
For those who dont understand my humour I mentioned to our French ami in PM of a really hot (green) Alfa 75 3L I once owned as a daily driver.... so hot it took two fire engines to cool it down. (And douse the flames in the low trees overhead!)

Last edited by E.B; 14 Jan 2019 at 09:00.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3876061)   #552
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Looking at the attitudes of the Bs in question, it would seem to me that the drivers need to shed a few pounds!

This one was taken by Mike Hoyer at the Classic a few years ago. Certainly mine is nowhere near as softly sprung.
Attached Thumbnails
21192208726_559fedbf62_z.jpg  
Old 14 Jan 2019, 10:58 (Ref:3876077)   #553
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehe @ Gérard all Alfas should be 'Fire Engine' red! (or yellow, in fact just not green)
For those who dont understand my humour I mentioned to our French ami in PM of a really hot (green) Alfa 75 3L I once owned as a daily driver.... so hot it took two fire engines to cool it down. (And douse the flames in the low trees overhead!)
I've owned two green Alfa - a mushy pea-green 'Sud & a lovely dark metallic green 155 (wish I still had it). When I bought the 'Sud, I collected it from the garage (Robinson's of Norwich) on Friday 13th. I'm not superstitious but the garage man thought buying a green car on Friday 13th was tempting fate a bit too far & suggested I date the cheque the 14th!! It turned out to be a very good car, although it was broken-into twice (both times in Holland) & was eventually wiped out by a Heathrow 'bus. My late partner who was driving it only just escaped the same fate.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3876078)   #554
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Cliff, I know it's not the shot you were after (or the circuit come to that!) but here's a couple from a wet Brands Hatch from 2007 and one from Mallory Park in 2006
Attachment 52393 Attachment 52394 Attachment 52395
I was just saving these photos to my drive - Thanks and remembered the very wet Masters meeting at Brands in 2007. It was so wet that we had to dry out the distributor to get my car running before the race, I don't think I've ever been so wet and cold at Brands in May - no idea how you photographers and the marshalls coped being outside all day.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3876094)   #555
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have trawled through the archives to find a few Alfas for you Alfetters.
Enjoy,https://photos.app.goo.gl/nSKkoujAiij2x3nB9

Bob, what a wonderful selection of photos for the Alfista. In my time (picture converts to black-and-white) I raced the Giulietta Sprint Zagato (was James Wiseman's car, last heard of in Jody Scheckter's collection near Alresford) and the baby-blue Giulietta Sprint (XSV 876, red when I owned it), which is the first car I raced in 1991. Pure joy and a good way to spend a bit of Monday !
Thanks,
Nick S
Old 14 Jan 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3876098)   #556
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone who drove a Giulietta Berlina (typo 750?) will tell you about the braking power. Impressive! I seem to recall the 1300 had the gear lever on the steering column but not sure, together with a rectangular taco. We did the Deux Tours d'Horloge Paul Ricard with a Giulia TI fitted with a 2 litre engine. Lot of fun.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3876100)   #557
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone who drove a Giulietta Berlina (typo 750?) will tell you about the braking power. Impressive! I seem to recall the 1300 had the gear lever on the steering column but not sure, together with a rectangular taco. We did the Deux Tours d'Horloge Paul Ricard with a Giulia TI fitted with a 2 litre engine. Lot of fun.
I went to the Deux Tours once, in 1993. Long story but I didn't know I was going to a race, just told some classic car event, so couldn't stay for the whole race sadly as there were lots of interesting cars & people. My abiding memory was of Barrie Williams regaling me with stories about how his tow-car broke-down en route, so he bought another one with his credit card.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3876102)   #558
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Gerard,
Indeed the earlier 750-series Giulietta Sprints/Berlinas had a column-shift, could sometimes be a bit awkward.
The drum-brake power was tremendous, even on my-two-shoe drums Giulietta Sprint, I never faded the brakes at Spa, for example, over a 40-minute race. The three-shoe brakes in the Sprint Zagato were even better, truly race-bred. Also the handling in the wet was excellent, no vices, no tricks.
Nick S
Old 14 Jan 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3876120)   #559
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I remember the three shoes with one blind cylinder per shoe and alfin style drums. Rather brutal on the road… I had several Bertone too, but was never good enough to find them safe in the wet. Cant explain why.
Strange that all articles about the Giulia TI Super, at least in French, mention the doors, bonnet and rear trunk cover to be in aluminium Ã* la L Tina'and the wheels to be in magnesium. I thoroughly inspected at least three original cars, the whole body is steel and the wheels are made in Electron, same material as the rear wheel of a Münch Mammut. I can't remember the brand but would go for Campagnolo instead of Cromodora. Right?

Les Deux Tours d'Horloge is something special. Now I think a 8 hour race is enough in Historic. We had several 12 H at Jarama but because the new golf resort we couldn't compete at night. I can't explain the surprise we had, sometimes, looking at our cars in parc fermé the next morning when we had four hours to go…
Old 14 Jan 2019, 19:22 (Ref:3876130)   #560
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I have trawled through the archives to find a few Alfas for you Alfetters.
Enjoy,https://photos.app.goo.gl/nSKkoujAiij2x3nB9

Grazie, Bob - enjoyed that selection - a wide range indeed........happy with the Lancias included, as I have a soft spot for them too, but although I do like an MX5, not sure it really warranted inclusion
Old 14 Jan 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3876133)   #561
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a huge fan of 917s in particular Longtails I was wondering what happened to the 917 LH that was was at Le Mans Classic.It was driven by Nicolas D'Ieteren and Joe Twyman.I believe its the same car as driven by John Woolfe when he crashed it and sadly died.I've been doing some research and have got really into the car but cant find out what happened to it,all I know is that it crashed during night practice but dont know what happened afterwards.Any news would be great as is sure is a eye catcher(what 917 isn't).
Old 14 Jan 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3876138)   #562
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Grazie, Bob - enjoyed that selection - a wide range indeed........happy with the Lancias included, as I have a soft spot for them too, but although I do like an MX5, not sure it really warranted inclusion
Mea Culpa (sorry Peter) I have removed the offending JAP car. Re- Lancias. It is very tiring trawling through thousands of pictures looking for any particular make, and you are lucky there are no Beamers in there, so easy to click the mouse when your eyes have gone square shaped. I will leave the other Italia in there, as they are very nice cars.

Happy you like the album. I should have included your own Alfa I suppose. Silly Me.

Bawb.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3876143)   #563
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those who have done a little rallying at some point you may find this video from Finland interesting.

One cannot but appreciate the enthusiasm and involvement of the spectators. Also their organisation and efficiency. All quite infectious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_cpuTR6sOM
Old 14 Jan 2019, 21:45 (Ref:3876158)   #564
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seeing as we have been discussing beautiful Alfas of late I thought I would throw this in the ring....

Earlier today I had showed these pics to Gérard.... pics I had taken of this car back in 2010 at Phillip Island Historics but had never actually ID'd what model Alfa it was. Gérard rightly ID'd it as a 6C, which I also discovered myself after from the original entry list I found.

I did a bit of digging around online and found this wonderful video of the exact car, discussing its restoration / recreation. (The body is an identical recreation of the original 1939 car). A fascinating video to anyone with an interest in this type of thing. 3000 hours alone to recreate the body, from photos and drawings of the original body! I was impressed we have people of such skill in Oz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF7bBn_YfVk

Pics I took at PI

Old 14 Jan 2019, 22:59 (Ref:3876177)   #565
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In 1934 the Association Internationale des Automobile Clubs Reconnus (AIACR) announced a new formula. The formula that limited the car minus driver, fuel and oil to 750kg without restricting engine size. The race length of a Grand Prix was a minimum 500 kilometer.

EB, I note from your tag line, that you get where Adrian Newey is coming from, I spoke with him about this briefly at the GP a few years back, and he favoured as few restrictions as possible, like the original 750kg Formula.

Well 1934 is historic enough for anyone.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 01:06 (Ref:3876197)   #566
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
In 1934 the Association Internationale des Automobile Clubs Reconnus (AIACR) announced a new formula. The formula that limited the car minus driver, fuel and oil to 750kg without restricting engine size. The race length of a Grand Prix was a minimum 500 kilometer.

EB, I note from your tag line, that you get where Adrian Newey is coming from, I spoke with him about this briefly at the GP a few years back, and he favoured as few restrictions as possible, like the original 750kg Formula.
Not only do I get where Newey is coming from but I totally agree with him.
Im just glad (in regards to F1) that I am old enough to have witnessed it all in the days when there were few restrictions beyond engine size, the cars all made different noises and had different quirks, different strengths and weaknesses, could drive flat out all race without upsetting the tyres, all looked different, and the drivers were real men not corporate toys.

And security was such that you could point to the sky and nip into the paddock whilst any security looked up to see what you were pointing at!

Last edited by E.B; 15 Jan 2019 at 01:16.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 06:29 (Ref:3876223)   #567
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mon Ami Robert, we try to follow you on the old stuff track bearing in mind it will be impossible to match your experience/ knowledge. Morning quizz: if I tell you old stuff, Alfa Romeo, Carrozzeria Superleggera, exoticism, pôwaaa, originality and a touch of class, your answer is:

https://www.caradisiac.com/Photos-du...ile-101788.htm

Enjoy this RHD car…
Votre petit Mohammed qui vous aime très fort!

E.B, I think this one was my dad's best friend, never saw the yellow one before. Could you post a picture or the video link, may be Andy at least will see that the 951 is an inspired design… And it works with the Fuego!!
Old 15 Jan 2019, 06:38 (Ref:3876224)   #568
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Mon Ami Robert, we try to follow you on the old stuff track bearing in mind it will be impossible to match your experience/ knowledge. Morning quizz: if I tell you old stuff, Alfa Romeo, Carrozzeria Superleggera, exoticism, pôwaaa, originality and a touch of class, your answer is:

https://www.caradisiac.com/Photos-du...ile-101788.htm

Enjoy this RHD car…
Votre petit Mohammed qui vous aime très fort!

E.B, I think this one was my dad's best friend, never saw the yellow one before. Could you post a picture or the video link, may be Andy at least will see that the 951 is an inspired design… And it works with the Fuego!!
The Pegaso link?

1952 PEGASO Z-102 BS 2.5 CUPULA COUP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK041Q6HVu0

So many beautiful cars and pieces of history appearing on these pages of late!
Old 15 Jan 2019, 06:40 (Ref:3876226)   #569
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The Pegaso link?
Yop, this one. Vielen Danke! Ha lÃ* lÃ*, nous n'aurions pas du dire la marque c'est une surprise pour "the" Bob!
Old 15 Jan 2019, 07:42 (Ref:3876229)   #570
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That's a stunning car.

@ E.B. You Aussies are most resourceful when it comes to making stuff, repairs and keeping things going. As a Cortina fan with an Aussie wife, and a good few racing Cortina friends out there, it never Ceases to amaze me the lengths some go to with their cars, things we wouldn't dream of over here, simply because you utilise what's there as you're so remote. A classic example being a Datsun crank in a 120/711 block. And modifying pinto valves to fit prexflow heads. .
Old 15 Jan 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3876230)   #571
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
That's a stunning car.

@ E.B. You Aussies are most resourceful when it comes to making stuff, repairs and keeping things going. As a Cortina fan with an Aussie wife, and a good few racing Cortina friends out there, it never Ceases to amaze me the lengths some go to with their cars, things we wouldn't dream of over here, simply because you utilise what's there as you're so remote. A classic example being a Datsun crank in a 120/711 block. And modifying pinto valves to fit prexflow heads. .
Hehehe my Appendix J / Group N Mk 1 Cortina race car featured a Datsun 1600 (L16 IIRC) steel crank! It was pretty much standard fitment on all the Cortina pushrod race cars out here. And legal to local regs due to a lack of good original ones..
Old 15 Jan 2019, 08:08 (Ref:3876231)   #572
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Going back to the Pegasos here is a link to an article and lots of pics from a recent(-ish) Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance that featured the Pegaso marque.

http://mycarquest.com/2016/03/pegaso...ia-island.html
Old 15 Jan 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3876232)   #573
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Not forgetting what they are still doing on two-stroke engines and rotaries!

As a Cortina admirer I'm still looking forward E.B explaining how he lost his caravan during a GP… Tow hook issue may be? What happened to the dishes then?
Old 15 Jan 2019, 08:14 (Ref:3876234)   #574
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Dunno how the heck it came up to a French mind to honor this brand, but we could admire some nice samples during the 2015 edition of Rétromobile. One of the two guys speaking is my friend Alain Bienvenu. Huge knowledge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlZQF1Oq1g
Old 15 Jan 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3876242)   #575
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
CEO Today Magazine - Europe Awards 2019
Shortlist Notification

Good afternoon,
We are delighted to inform you that you have been shortlisted for the CEO Today Europe Awards 2019.
CEO Today Magazine's CEO Europe Awards celebrate the success, innovation and strategic vision of CEOs across a number of sectors and industries throughout Europe; identifying the most successful, innovative and forward-thinking CEOs in business today.

CEO Today Magazine offers you our warmest congratulations on your shortlisting and kindly asks for your immediate assistance. Now that the shortlist nomination process is complete we are offering the opportunity for you to provide further supporting evidence to accompany your shortlist nomination.

I received this email today, so thank you all for nominating me for this prestigious award, it was most kind of you.

Oh! What is a CEO?