Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Jul 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1957073)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nextel Cup = Sprint Cup Series

Aside from NASCAR being dumb enough to change the sponsor name again (for money of ofcourse.)
Nextal has fully been absorbed by Sprint and the press conference today has confirmed it is now the SPRINT CUP SERIES
What The FUNNYBONE?
USAC runs Sprint cars, and sprint cars run in New Zealand and Australia...
now we have Sprint Cup cars? this racing nomenclature moronicy by Brian Chubbycheeks France is just a blakc eye for American racing integrity never mind the US money grubbing appearnace.
couldn't they simply call it the the Nascar Cup Series sponsored by Sprint...this way you can change it all you like but the Cup is the CUP

i suppose it is Winston/Nextel Cup regardless (a rose by any other name...)
but come on
Sprint car racing is big wheels! big power! small single seaters engine infront
on dirt or pavement
NA$CAR $PRINT CUP $ERIE$ is ridiculous...
oh well
Old 7 Jul 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1957074)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just a 'Cup' car to me

I do agree it sounds silly though, so I'm not going to see Nextel Cup next year, I'm going to see Sprint Cup, yeh awesome...

Last edited by StuiE; 7 Jul 2007 at 19:39.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 7 Jul 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1957081)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, the sponsor is now Sprint ... the races aren't sprints and they aren't sprint cars but it's not that confusing.

And calling it NA$CAR ... well, all series are commerical (OK, not as WWE style engineered as them) so you might as well talk about CCW$, IndyCar $€ries, Formula On€, U$AC, V8 $up€rcars, Briti$h GT, World Touring Car Champion$hip, GP2 $eries ETC.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:06 (Ref:1957096)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
Aside from NASCAR being dumb enough to change the sponsor name again (for money of ofcourse.)
Oh my God! Sponsorship and money, who could ever have thought the two were related?!? NASCAR should be ashamed and stop this heinous act immediately?!?

Sprint Cup, hmmm....sounds ridiculous. It does not sound very prestigious does it? But who cares ultimately, nothing else will change.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1957108)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Did the other telecom companies who are involved in NASCAR allow Nextel to change to Sprint?
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:28 (Ref:1957111)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh no. Terrible terrible news. As I understand it Sprint refers to a telecommunications sponsor not the type of racing or the cars. Confusion will reign. How could they let this happen? The racing will never be the same again. I must ring someone to tell them.

I bet ChampCar would flat refuse to do such a thing if offered that much money, or even a tenth of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Did the other telecom companies who are involved in NASCAR allow Nextel to change to Sprint?
Old 8 Jul 2007, 03:56 (Ref:1957264)   #7
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The sponsorship deal should be retooled a bit. Instead of Sprint being the title sponsor for the NASCAR Cup championship, i.e. the Sprint Cup, the company should be the presenting sponsor for the championship, i.e. the Sprint for the NASCAR Cup. It makes more sense, and it's a much more clever marketing tool.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 05:33 (Ref:1957282)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

Thanks Fish flake...
i didn't think there would be mass confusion from this board...but i can imagine casual reporters will have no idea..
they can't even tell ARCA from NASCAR
the money thing i was poking fun at, yes I know they all do it for a profit, but if you ever have gone sprint car racing, some do it for the love of the racing... track owners and promoters and drivers, and USAC doesn't really have sponsors for the big cars do they? that's real Sprint racing...
Old 8 Jul 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1957436)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does it matter?
Old 8 Jul 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1957996)   #10
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks Fish flake...
i didn't think there would be mass confusion from this board...but i can imagine casual reporters will have no idea..
they can't even tell ARCA from NASCAR
the money thing i was poking fun at, yes I know they all do it for a profit, but if you ever have gone sprint car racing, some do it for the love of the racing... track owners and promoters and drivers, and USAC doesn't really have sponsors for the big cars do they? that's real Sprint racing...
could you then deduce from this that the USAC Sprint Car racing guys will benefit greatly from this change of Sponsor's title.

It's all because Nextel is rebranding as Sprint, and since they have multi-year deal to brand NASCAR, it makese sense for them to demand the change.

It's us petrolheads that will shout "hey what's going on?" because we know that Sprint cars are not Cup cars. But they are next year!!!!

Now, devils advocate here.... if it were the other way around, I bet NASCAR's lawyers would be circling over USAC for using "their" name.

Or am I being crazy..........

Rob.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 01:18 (Ref:1958100)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

right on the money
and next the Busch series will go flat..
the Nascar GrandNational "Samsung" series?
true they are called "Nascars" everywhere any way and Sprints are sprints
The selling of souls and such is really such a let down to me.
could Formula 1 every be called the F "ING" 1 Championship (wait that looks funny...i meant ING bank...) or Formula 1 Allianz WorldChampion ship
or worse the 24 hours of Air France at Lemans ?!!?! arrrgh!
Old 9 Jul 2007, 01:37 (Ref:1958109)   #12
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
right on the money
and next the Busch series will go flat..
NASCAR has been looking for a new sponsor for the Busch Series for some time now.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 00:08 (Ref:1959186)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

yes i meant a pun in a way
The sponsor they are looking for is the one with cash naturally not the one with roots or even one who gives one flip for the fans, or the racing....
Craftsman tools for the truck I hope is a relationship that will never go away, totally , the identity they have with tough truck s is so solid now...
Old 10 Jul 2007, 02:00 (Ref:1959221)   #14
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Grand National series is in a tight spot. Anheuser-Busch pulled their sponsorship of the series because they wanted to concentrate their marketing dollars on the Budweiser brand, particularly with Dale Earnhardt Jr. as their pitchman. Budweiser is A-B's flagship "premium" brand, while Busch is its downmarket label. As NASCAR's audience has become more upscale, they want to enhance the visibility of the product which they believe to have a more esteemed consumer image. A-B wanted better, and NASCAR probably wanted better as well.

On the other hand, Craftsman tools consistantly rate as having the highest product quality of not just tools, but all consumer goods put together. It was a coup for NASCAR to secure such a highly-regarded name as the backer for their fledgling truck series, and the quick success of that series is likely owed in large part to that brand association. The "Tough Trucks" image fits perfectly with Craftsman's reputation as providing top-quality tools fit for the most demanding of jobs, yet priced for the everyman.

NASCAR wants an esteemed title sponsor for the Grand National series, but at the same time, Sprint doesn't want to be outdone, while a lot of companies don't want to put their name on a "second-tier" division. I'd be highly surprised if Wal-Mart, after decades of shying away from sports sponsorship, would settle for second billing. Samsung might be an ambitious bidder, but they, and Korean manufacturers in general, are not held in very high regard by the American marketplace; plus, NASCAR would be wise to avoid instigating yet another flurry of lawsuits between them and other telecom companies. I would suggest that Kellogg's, who appear to the way out at Hendrick once Junior and Bud arrive at the end of the year, would make a good title sponsor, but there has been nothing from that camp through all this.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1963214)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
NASCAR has been looking for a new sponsor for the Busch Series for some time now.
I read (at Jayski?) Subway is a strong candidate.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1965053)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

well with Junior and not Bud going to hendrick- perhaps the Busch Series will reamin the Busch or Bud series, and Dale can drive the Busch car in Bud Colors as he wants for JR motorsports?
this is silly speculation now
All in all NASCAR seems more and more soul less
Old 16 Jul 2007, 22:36 (Ref:1965214)   #17
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Busch will be back as sponsor of the Grand National Series next year even if they can't sponsor Junior next year. It's already been announced they're leaving and there's been a lot of effort to find a replacement. So far the most likely replacement is Subway as they have been pretty heavily involved in the sport so far and heavily rumoured to be so. Korean manufacturers and Walmart have never shown much interest in motorsports sponsorship and I doubt that will change now.

Even with JR motorsports Junior and Bud won't reunite. Junior is leaving his personal sponsorship contract with them a year early after this season. The main reason is several sponsors at Hendrick (Pepsi and Kelloggs I imagine) don't want to be and can't be associated with alcohol companies.

The most likely scenario is that Bud stays with DEI who are possibly merging with Ginn Racing soon and Kyle Busch drives for them. Kelloggs sponsors Casey Mears next year (since the military deals are season to season) and Junior is sponsored by Pepsi or their Gatorade brand. Pepsi will want the exposure since they won't be the title sponsor at the Pepsi 400 or Gatorade Duels anymore. Coke is now the official soft-drink of ISC tracks.

J.D.
Old 25 Jul 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1973042)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sprint Cup? We'll get used to it i'm sure, but it doesn't sound as if it is the pinnicle of stock car racing, Nextel Cup was better, but again, we'll get used to it.

NASCAR Subway Series - Sounds nice, I like it, and the Subs are nice too
Old 25 Jul 2007, 18:48 (Ref:1973282)   #19
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR Subway Series?

Is that an underground movement?