Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Jun 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1943126)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Ferrari to build a bio diesel LMP2 car for 2008?

I find it hard to believe, but this comes from what should be a reliable source.

According to this source Ferrari have contracted a UK chassis manufacturer and an Engine builder to develop a bio diesel LMP2. Athough diesel engines are not currently allowed in LMP2 there is apparently a clause which make provision for the use of bio fuels and the ACO also reserves the right to allow such entries to compete on equal terms with the cars using conventional fuels.

Engine work is apparently being funded by Shell and Filippo Berio. The engine is a developed Alfa 2.4 litre JTD engine whic should produce 400 bhp. The car will apparently be called the 250 DTO. It says the chassis is being built by a well established LMP2 manufacturer from the east of England, also known for it hillclimb cars

There is even a picture of the car which I dont think I can copy due to copywright rules.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1943133)   #2
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find this very hard to believe as previously Ferrari has refused outright to even consider a diesel engine in there road cars......
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1943134)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why wouldn't they build their own chassis?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:24 (Ref:1943150)   #4
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it very hard to believe, considering that Audi and Peugeot tub/chassis (sorry for my bad English) are built in Italy, why should Ferrari contract an UK chassis manufacturer ?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1943180)   #5
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
250 DTO... as if ferrari would ever "rape" the name of the 250 GTO... nah sry i dont think this is gonna happen
Old 21 Jun 2007, 09:14 (Ref:1943196)   #6
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
It says the chassis is being built by a well established LMP2 manufacturer from the east of England, also known for it hillclimb cars
Pilbeam?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1943207)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Sure that it is for Ferrari and not another brand from the Fiat-family? Maybe Ferrari are doing the developement, but in the end it will be an Alfa or Fiat?
TDO 250 might just be a codename for the project so far...
Old 21 Jun 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1943216)   #8
zac510
Veteran

JTDi FAP!
I thought Ferrari's internal composite factory would be able to build the chassis?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1943228)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
JTDi FAP!
I thought Ferrari's internal composite factory would be able to build the chassis?
They probably are, but maybe their developement-department is too involved with the uphill-battle in F1 right now, so they have only limited man power for this mission and decided to rather refine a given product than to start from scratch.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1943230)   #10
zac510
Veteran

Kinda like Acura in the ALMS then?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 10:30 (Ref:1943235)   #11
Speed-King
Veteran

That's what I thought, yeah.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1943238)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very very intersting, it doesn't take much to work out the chassis manufacturer is. The interesting thing here is that there one of there cars sat not too far where I am sat, however that a team binned in it favour of something else before the start of this season.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1943240)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Very very intersting, it doesn't take much to work out the chassis manufacturer is. The interesting thing here is that there one of there cars sat not too far where I am sat, however that a team binned in it favour of something else before the start of this season.
Okay, we're getting quickly into the area of reckless speculations, but: Do you imply that said chassis was binned because the chassis-manifacturer will be too involved with the "Ferrari" to give them the support they need?
Old 21 Jun 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1943269)   #14
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
sounds like a wind-up to me.....I have heard that Luca Demontezemelo..... or how ever you spell his name......will not return Ferrari back to sports endurance race in a hurrry or with a half baked team, as they have a fine history to protect........I cant help but think they would only do a full-on gasoline LMP1 attack and nothing else......perhaps with say GDI or hybrid technology........diesel - I dont think so.......just sounds half baked to me........but I could well believe this to be an Alfa or Fiat badged project........deffo not ferrari
Old 21 Jun 2007, 11:22 (Ref:1943276)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
sounds like a wind-up to me.....I have heard that Luca Demontezemelo..... or how ever you spell his name......will not return Ferrari back to sports endurance race in a hurrry or with a half baked team, as they have a fine history to protect........I cant help but think they would only do a full-on gasoline LMP1 attack and nothing else......perhaps with say GDI or hybrid technology........diesel - I dont think so.......just sounds half baked to me........but I could well believe this to be an Alfa or Fiat badged project........deffo not ferrari
Start the project, put the Alfa or Fiat badge on the car. If the car fails to perform scrap the project, Ferrari name is still intact. If the car is a success, put the Ferrari Name on it and Ferrari pulls out another great car.

Ferrari wins both ways.

Did not Dalleria ( or what ever It company it is ) that builds the Audi r8 and R10 chassies build the last Few Ferrari protypes? This same companie builds the Ferrari 599 composit chassies IIRC.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1943279)   #16
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be that Ferrari Engineering is working on that project for parent company Fiat....
Old 21 Jun 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1943281)   #17
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dallara !!

Yes they build Audi chassies and some Ferrari composite

They run in F1 see: http://www.autoextremist.com/roadame...g/DSCN7798.jpg
Old 21 Jun 2007, 12:13 (Ref:1943330)   #18
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Start the project, put the Alfa or Fiat badge on the car. If the car fails to perform scrap the project, Ferrari name is still intact. If the car is a success, put the Ferrari Name on it and Ferrari pulls out another great car.

Ferrari wins both ways.

Did not Dalleria ( or what ever It company it is ) that builds the Audi r8 and R10 chassies build the last Few Ferrari protypes? This same companie builds the Ferrari 599 composit chassies IIRC.
exactly, if this was a serious project, someone credible like Dallara would be heading it up..........having just spent the last 3 years working with the fiat group, I know their global sourcing project is along the lines of "it can come from anywhere in the world, as long as its Italy".......said tounge-in-cheek, but true from what I have seen happen.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1943385)   #19
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I must admit I find it hard to believe but the article I have quoted from is printed the latest publication from the Ferrari Owners Club and quotes 'impeccable sources in the factory'.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1943455)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
would not at all surprise me that Ferrari is using their pull and contacts to build and test the car to be run as an Alfa or other FIAT group car. Possibly to use the chassis for their own LMP2 car but with a homegrown petrol engine instead.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 17:46 (Ref:1943531)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im going to wait on this one, i seriusly doubt this, ferrari have said they dont want to go down the diesel route even in their road car's and that say's it all, sportscar racing is beggining to smack of media and press grabbing, not motorsport.

if you want to go green then please build a concept car, for the love of god dont start going into motorsport just to give a "green" image, the reason motorsport is there is to go bloody quick and to win!
Old 21 Jun 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1943551)   #22
ScuderiaV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
ScuderiaV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
would not at all surprise me that Ferrari is using their pull and contacts to build and test the car to be run as an Alfa or other FIAT group car. Possibly to use the chassis for their own LMP2 car but with a homegrown petrol engine instead.
The Alfa link would appear to make sense to me as there have long been rumours that Alfa wants to begin selling cars in the US. Having an Alfa Romeo LMP2 running in the ALMS would certainly be a way to promote the brand, along with the 8C Competizione GT car.

Running such a car could then provide the necessary knowledge to step up to the LMP1 class with the Maserati brand. With the proposed new LMP1 regulations favouring coupes similar to the MC12 it might provide the right opportunity to take the trident to Le Mans.

There is, of course, nothing to back this up and a lot of it is wishful thinking, but I think it could make sense.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1943565)   #23
ScuderiaV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
ScuderiaV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
if you want to go green then please build a concept car, for the love of god dont start going into motorsport just to give a "green" image, the reason motorsport is there is to go bloody quick and to win!
I very much doubt that this would merely be a publicity exercise to 'give a green image'. I think sportscar racing is one of the few forms of racing that encourages the development of road-relevant technology that will filter down to normal road cars, something that few concept cars achieve.

The endurance format is also well suited to showing the benefits of increased vehicle efficiency, as this reduces the time a car has to spend in the pits refuelling. Winning isn't always about being the fastest car.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1943567)   #24
skunq
Rookie

skunq should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
... the reason motorsport is there is to go bloody quick and to win!

I'm sorry, you must have missed the Le Mans 24 this year and last.... it seems to me that although you have your head in the dark ages, both Audi and PEUGOT have figured it out - with diesel, you can go bloody quick, and you can win. no green marketing BS here...

wake up and smell the biofuel
Old 21 Jun 2007, 18:46 (Ref:1943579)   #25
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunq
I'm sorry, you must have missed the Le Mans 24 this year and last.... it seems to me that although you have your head in the dark ages, both Audi and PEUGOT have figured it out - with diesel, you can go bloody quick, and you can win. no green marketing BS here...

wake up and smell the biofuel
no i didnt miss lemans actually, infact this year i was there.