Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jun 2020, 15:02 (Ref:3980347)   #1451
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder how much Williams regret not giving Newey a bigger stake in the team? After all it wasn’t like he was trying to take over the team. He would have been perfect to take Head’s role when he moved aside. Of course Adrian might not have still been there now, but at least they would have had more to show for their efforts in recent times
Old 5 Jun 2020, 16:54 (Ref:3980364)   #1452
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Particular emphasis being placed on Bernie's 1997 F1 Concorde Agreement that caused the teams' share of the revenue to drop from 85% of the revenue earned by Bernie to 23%. Another boost to the manufacturers by depriving the smaller teams of revenue.
I’m not thinking this is the greatest source. Although it is a great graphic.

And from a $ amount is it more or less now?

Why did they sign it?

Quote:
P.S. Much like the over priced PUs that we are currently stuck with.
Back in the day Williams had free Renault or BMW engines (works team) and others had to pay for worse engines. At least nowadays there is way closer parity. Not sure which situation is more unfair. Other than neither - it’s just Williams used to benefit from the inequality not suffer from it financially, but less so performance wise.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Jun 2020 at 16:59. Reason: Edit watched a bit of the video.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 06:28 (Ref:3980426)   #1453
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Williams actually benefited more than some of the lesser teams as in BE's agreement it got a 'heritage' payment per year in addition to the teams payments from WCC finishing positions.

Both Williams and McLaren have been impacted by fluctuating and in some cases poor performance in recent years which has hit revenue from FOM and sponsorship. For McLaren it is ironic to see the position they are in now, allegedly Ron D having failed to secure new sponsors for the team declaring that the team did not need sponsors as it could be supported by McLaren Automotive - which did not find favour with the other shareholders, he then failed to raise the funding to buy McLaren back which further soured relations and ended up selling his stake to the newly created McLaren Group.

Now the McLaren Group is cutting 1,200 jobs and had to raise expensive funding, part of which is to apparently make the final payments to Ron D when he sold his stake in McLaren...

OT - apologies!
Old 6 Jun 2020, 09:39 (Ref:3980444)   #1454
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had a very restless night for no reason whatsoever but I've got this lurking in my brain...

Did I read that Toto had bought back in to Williams as a shareholder?

Edit: yes I did. No it wasn't a dream.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterDWin...21625467801600
Old 6 Jun 2020, 12:14 (Ref:3980470)   #1455
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I had a very restless night for no reason whatsoever but I've got this lurking in my brain...

I saw that. I am trying to understand what his strategy is. There has to be some long game at play here. Is he looking to eventually acquire William for himself? Is he a proxy for someone else? Or is he insuring a seat at the table during negotiations with the next owner for other reasons?

Richard
Old 6 Jun 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3980485)   #1456
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Has bought shares in Aston Martin, too. Oh, and next year Racing Point F1 will be re-branded as Aston Martin.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 14:08 (Ref:3980493)   #1457
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another thought on his Williams investment. It may be mostly philanthropic. They may have needed some funding and he stepped up.

Richard
Old 6 Jun 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3980518)   #1458
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Aston connection may he a red herring. This is a company facing massive losses atm. But a bigger bite of Williams, if as I suspect, Merc corporate are getting cold feet, would mean continued involvement. And then Aston engine supply.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3980524)   #1459
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Aston connection may he a red herring. This is a company facing massive losses atm. But a bigger bite of Williams, if as I suspect, Merc corporate are getting cold feet, would mean continued involvement. And then Aston engine supply.
Who makes the Aston engine?
Old 6 Jun 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3980525)   #1460
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 17:51 (Ref:3980527)   #1461
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Agreed, but as the Mercedes GP Principal (who supply engines to Williams and RP/ AM) and a shareholder in Williams and AM he will have considerable clout.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 20:24 (Ref:3980543)   #1462
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Mercedes pull out there will still be the talented Ilmor engineers who may not want to retire just yet.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3980546)   #1463
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the chassis side pull out then there will still be the talented Tyrell engineers who may not want to retire just yet
Old 7 Jun 2020, 10:01 (Ref:3980660)   #1464
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Could be see a Brawn style buyout like it did when Honda pulled out?
Old 7 Jun 2020, 12:22 (Ref:3980675)   #1465
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Could be see a Brawn style buyout like it did when Honda pulled out?
I dont think that's a good potential comparison. Honda was exiting the sport. They basically gave Ross Brawn $100 million in cash and $100 million in assets to take over the team. They paid him. He didn't buy the team. Plus, he was already running the team.

Is the Williams corporate entity going to give Claire full ownership? How is their debt erased?

I think what you are really trying to say is if a white knight shows up and buys the team? If sold (vs liquidation) it's probably going to be one of these options...

1. Existing known single individual (maybe with funding from a consortium) in the sport. Think Toto Wolf.

2. Someone who has been looking to get into F1 but hasn't made it work. Think Dmitry Mazepin.

3. An assembled consortium that is totally new.

4. An existing team such as Mercedes.

Richard
Old 7 Jun 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3980722)   #1466
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Could we see a Merc junior team?

After all Latifi was testing two year old Mercs.

Russell is Merc tester.

Mazepin has been testing old Mercs too.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 11:02 (Ref:3980795)   #1467
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder who owns Paddy Lowe's shares?....
Old 8 Jun 2020, 11:29 (Ref:3980799)   #1468
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Not sure he ever really had more than options.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3980852)   #1469
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder how much Williams regret not giving Newey a bigger stake in the team? After all it wasn’t like he was trying to take over the team. He would have been perfect to take Head’s role when he moved aside. Of course Adrian might not have still been there now, but at least they would have had more to show for their efforts in recent times
i don't think he regrets it for a second.
Sure looking back with knowledge of the situation today you think why not give Newey a stake, or count to ten and let BMW become shareholder in the early 00s, or even just 2 years ago make it work with Stroll.

However Williams got to the toplevel by being independent and survived/outlived essentially everyone by remaining independent. To me therefor it is very logical that a 'fire sale' is the way it is going to end.
Quite simple, if they didnt need to sell they'd stay around running the team, and the only way to stop that is either the team going broke, or being that close to going broke that they will be taken over by someone else.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 13:04 (Ref:3981134)   #1470
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Reports are that the interested parties are - Latifii, Mazepin and Nissany - all with an eye to their sons career...
Old 10 Jun 2020, 13:43 (Ref:3981141)   #1471
Richard C
Veteran

Nissany.... Ouch!

Unrelated. Do we know if the Williams name is part of the potential sale? If it is, I do wonder if whoever buys the team will keep the name. To go along with my categories I list above as to "type" of buyer. I suspect most would keep the Williams name (I would). But if the team is bought by someone looking to push their kids career, I can see the team being rebranded and maybe the name being lost. However, if someone is looking to rebrand, they may not care to pay for the name and the Williams family may keep it. With it potentially showing up in the future in some form.

Also, is there any serious chance that the Williams family will remain connected to the team post sale? I am sure they would prefer to be left in charge, but who in their right mind would buy the team and leave the management structure in place? Would there maybe be space for Frank as "Ambassador" or some other ceremonial title?

I even feel a bit nauseous typing this stuff out, such is my grief at the potential loss of the Williams name in F1.

Richard
Old 10 Jun 2020, 14:10 (Ref:3981151)   #1472
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Nissany.... Ouch!

Unrelated. Do we know if the Williams name is part of the potential sale? If it is, I do wonder if whoever buys the team will keep the name. To go along with my categories I list above as to "type" of buyer. I suspect most would keep the Williams name (I would). But if the team is bought by someone looking to push their kids career, I can see the team being rebranded and maybe the name being lost. However, if someone is looking to rebrand, they may not care to pay for the name and the Williams family may keep it. With it potentially showing up in the future in some form.

Also, is there any serious chance that the Williams family will remain connected to the team post sale? I am sure they would prefer to be left in charge, but who in their right mind would buy the team and leave the management structure in place? Would there maybe be space for Frank as "Ambassador" or some other ceremonial title?

I even feel a bit nauseous typing this stuff out, such is my grief at the potential loss of the Williams name in F1.

Richard
I remember all that nonsense in 2010 and 2011 about who owned the Lotus name. Hopefully it won't come to that.

If Frank were to remain connected, he could become Chairman Emeritus like Bernie did with the Formula One Group.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3981152)   #1473
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Unrelated. Do we know if the Williams name is part of the potential sale?
Interesting point - and one that raises a few thoughts.

If Williams GP was sold, I would expect it would go the same way of Frank Williams Racing Cars, and be re-named by the new owners?

Or would it follow the McLaren route and retain the name of the founder, despite there being no involvement?
Old 10 Jun 2020, 14:26 (Ref:3981153)   #1474
S griffin
Veteran

Yes I remember the Lotus naming rights row, although the problem there was that there were two different Lotuses. Williams only have their performance engineering on the side, so they don't have a different company related to it for now

Of course it is still Frank's team, but he doesn't really run it anymore. I guess he feels his time in F1 is over, which is understandable. Maybe he did think about helping run F1 one time, but as he's become less and less involved, I can't see it happening now.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 14:35 (Ref:3981157)   #1475
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If Frank were to remain connected, he could become Chairman Emeritus like Bernie did with the Formula One Group.
I think BE was a mixture of keeping him around to help as needed, but mostly it was an honorific title. It's not uncommon when senior executives are on good terms and they transition out of the organization. To be honest, I see any involvement of Frank being purely honorific.

I hope if the name remains with the team that any future caretaker values the history and importance to the name. I hope the team remains named "Williams".

Richard