Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Mar 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3225337)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese "...Ford...Gone..." - AA

So... if Ford decides to stop supporting FPR, and the series itself, at the end of this calendar year... as suggested by AA today...

... where to for FPR... and DJR...

Does it also explain the lack of Ford branding on the #18 and #55 cars this year?

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Mar 2013, 00:49 (Ref:3225340)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW?????
Old 27 Mar 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3225382)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... if Ford decides to stop supporting FPR, and the series itself, at the end of this calendar year... as suggested by AA today...

... where to for FPR... and DJR...

Does it also explain the lack of Ford branding on the #18 and #55 cars this year?

Old 27 Mar 2013, 05:54 (Ref:3225388)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
BMW?????
Why?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 06:00 (Ref:3225389)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
BMW?????
Why?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 06:54 (Ref:3225396)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Why?
just a stab after reading that V8 confidential twitter thing, who knows if the bloke is acurate though:
https://twitter.com/V8Confidential
Old 27 Mar 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3225406)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
just a stab after reading that V8 confidential twitter thing, who knows if the bloke is acurate though:
https://twitter.com/V8Confidential
The next tweet up suggests Great Wall as an alternative...
Old 27 Mar 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3225415)   #8
jason7253
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
jason7253 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can say is good on Ford for making the correct decision putting the future of the familys of their workers before motorsport. Any one that disagrees with this. Put your self in the shoes of some Ford worker that has lost their job and continued to see Ford tipping money into V8 supercars.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3225427)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thinki that would be the end of my interest
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3225434)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wouldn't bother me if they pulled out.

It's not like they're being kicked out.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:42 (Ref:3225435)   #11
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!! hope its an april fools joke.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3225436)   #12
jason7253
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
Doesn't mean Ford cars wont be on the Grid tho does it
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3225438)   #13
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
do you really think they'll be competitive without Ford's support?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3225440)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
do you really think they'll be competitive without Ford's support?
as lomg as they can get another financial backer there is no reason why not. they have the technology alreday

But a four car team with reasonable form is a good option for another manufacturer
Old 27 Mar 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3225442)   #15
jason7253
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
Depends on what sort of funding the team can get its not the word Ford on the windscreen that makes a car competitive. Its the cash the team has. Do you think 888 would not be competitive without factory backing?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3225451)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7253 View Post
Depends on what sort of funding the team can get its not the word Ford on the windscreen that makes a car competitive. Its the cash the team has. Do you think 888 would not be competitive without factory backing?
recent history would say yes they would have.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 10:28 (Ref:3225454)   #17
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
henry ford was always a believer that you still had to put money into advertising in order to sell cars, even in poor economic times.
i would have thought that having fpr on the grid would be a relatively small spend to satisfy the fpv and falcon faithful.
taurus or mondeo panels could have gone on in the future when the falcon was done and dusted without any major investment needed by the factory in engine or mechanical development with the current rules.
ford dropping out would have to bring into question the level of continued support for all the holden teams in the future surely ?
Old 27 Mar 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3225539)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7253 View Post
All I can say is good on Ford for making the correct decision putting the future of the familys of their workers before motorsport. Any one that disagrees with this. Put your self in the shoes of some Ford worker that has lost their job and continued to see Ford tipping money into V8 supercars.
Dropping V8 -> Less fans -> Less buyers getting suggesions by Ford fans -> Less sales
Old 27 Mar 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3225729)   #19
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the problems is that Ford can no longer rely on Falcon sales to keep them profitable.

I look around me and of all my friends, only 2 are into motorsport and watch V8 Supercars. Of those two, neither of them own a large car. One drives a Mazda 3 and the other drives a Nissan Micra (lol).

This means everyone else I am good friends with are making their purchasing decisions based on other forms of advertising. Nearly all of them watch regular TV shows, and a large number watch football codes. Noone, including those interested in motorsport, desire a high powered inefficient car.

This forum obviously attracts motorsport-oriented people and therefore it 'makes sense' for us to have manufacturers advertising in motorsport, but if I was Ford based on my spread of friends, I'd be advertising elsewhere, as much as I think it would be a huge shame to lose Ford from the series.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3225730)   #20
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably alot to do with this, if its true
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134322
Old 27 Mar 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3225757)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
An interesting scenario seems to have popped up out of the powder room as a possibility...

... that Ford may be leaving FPR as opposed to V8Supercar for a whole series of performance reasons... and may in fact be shopping for another team to operate a factory-assisted operation...

A story goes that a current non-factory supported Holden team, who may or may not be sniffing around for a works deal with some carmaker or other, may in fact have pitched the blue oval for some factory assistance, to cover the cost of transition, and some contribution to operating budgets for the next few years.

The boys in the powder room are wondering if their ask, of around $1m for a conversion fund, and about the same as an annual contribution.. might be more attractive to them than the current, underperforming 4 car operation that absorbs more than these numbers just buying morning tea for the cast of thousands...

Possible? Maybe.. Probable.. dont quite know...

Presuming any of this actually happened
Old 27 Mar 2013, 22:47 (Ref:3225764)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Nash Still Chasing Ford

Horse. Bolted. Too Late.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 00:36 (Ref:3225799)   #23
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
An interesting scenario seems to have popped up out of the powder room as a possibility...

... that Ford may be leaving FPR as opposed to V8Supercar for a whole series of performance reasons... and may in fact be shopping for another team to operate a factory-assisted operation...

A story goes that a current non-factory supported Holden team, who may or may not be sniffing around for a works deal with some carmaker or other, may in fact have pitched the blue oval for some factory assistance, to cover the cost of transition, and some contribution to operating budgets for the next few years.

The boys in the powder room are wondering if their ask, of around $1m for a conversion fund, and about the same as an annual contribution.. might be more attractive to them than the current, underperforming 4 car operation that absorbs more than these numbers just buying morning tea for the cast of thousands...

Possible? Maybe.. Probable.. dont quite know...

Presuming any of this actually happened
given Walkinshaw and 888 are factory backed that would leave Tekno, BJR, GRM & LDM. the only realistic one i would see would be Tekno or BJR and really outside of early this year they havn't out performed FPR.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 02:42 (Ref:3225837)   #24
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BJR would be my pick...
Old 28 Mar 2013, 02:42 (Ref:3225838)   #25
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Nash Still Chasing Ford

Horse. Bolted. Too Late.
Why too late? Has the horse bolted? According to what Mr. Nash has to say, horse has not bolted and not is it too late. Just the normal discussions with a sponsor when the existing agreement expires at the end of the year.