Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 28 Nov 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2992622)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Scanning loads and loads of photos.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanner that has a feeder that means you can scan a batch of old photos? I have some old photos that I would like to digitise, but want to take some of the labour out of it.

If it can do negatives (with a feeder) too that would be smashing.

My internet search has left me no better off. I know they exist, but can't gauge the effectiveness or cost.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2992812)   #2
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most Neg scanners have a carrier for strips of up to 6 negatives and another for up to 4 mounted slides.

However to do the job properly you need to make adjustments to each image as it is scanned. It's a job you only want to do right, so it's important it is done properly.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2992828)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You may be better off having them scanned on a large laser scanner/printer.
There was a firm near me in the UK that had one that could scan loads at a time, I found that it worked out cheaper than what I could do at home (and less aggro !)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2992837)   #4
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If using a simple flatbed scanner you can position a few smallish (e.g. 6x4) prints in one go, scan them 'as one' and then use something like Photoshop Elements to 'split' them back into the individual photos - there is an option to do this in the Editor module - Images menu - Divide Scanned Photos or something like that. I presume that the full Photoshop package does that as well but I don't use it - just PE and Lightroom. Saved me a lot of time in the past.

I think some scanners can do the same with their own software packages?

If you do it as above put a piece of brightly coloured card / paper on top of the photos before lowering the scanner lid as it makes it easier for the PE software to deifne each photo.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2992916)   #5
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HP Scanjet 5500c Scanner had a feeder for photos, but guess its a discontinued product these days, and it really wasnt very good. I gave up with it, as it was easier, as mentioned above, to buy an A4 scanner that could scan 3 photos at once.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...hpr_r1002_uken

1/ it could only scan 6 X 4in photos
2/ it had a warning only to scan photos once or twice for fear of the feeder damaging them
3/ it did not automatically crop the photos, so the under side of the feeder was always in the image.
4/ the scanner driver was for windows XP, and HP never bothered updating the driver for later operating systems
5/ it had no built in software for dust removal
6/ the scans just were not that good.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2992947)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
If using a simple flatbed scanner you can position a few smallish (e.g. 6x4) prints in one go, scan them 'as one' and then use something like Photoshop Elements to 'split' them back into the individual photos -
The only problem with that is you will get a poor resolution when they are made back to the same size depending how good the originals were.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Nov 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2992957)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks all.

I appreciate the warning on doing it right. It doesn't look like anyone has made a good one.
I like the suggestion of finding a service that does it.

So it looks like a flatbed with cunning software to speed up the splitting for me.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 00:56 (Ref:2993746)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Thanks all.

I appreciate the warning on doing it right. It doesn't look like anyone has made a good one.
I like the suggestion of finding a service that does it.

So it looks like a flatbed with cunning software to speed up the splitting for me.
There used to be a few people advertising that they would scan negs on a flatbed for a ridiculously small fee. No idea how good the results were and I assumed they were possibly retirees or similar owning a flatbed and making some pocket money.

I have a flatbed and got to about 1300 scans (some being multiple versions of the same neg or slide, before I lost interest, moved to digital and then found I ws fully occupied with dealing with thousands of images that the cameras seem to keep producing.

How much effort is required is dependent on what you need as output. The greater the accuracy of colour, detail, etc. the more effort you need to put in to hit the spot. If you want high resolution for printing the scanner will take a while per image - but at least you can let it do its stuff at that point whilst you get on with something else.

The downside of getting someone to do it for you is that you run the risk that the originals are not handled as you would wish them to be or are lost in transit somewhere. And that the results are not up to expectations but then the exercise can be repeated so long as the originals survive. It shouldn't be a problem of course .... but sometimes it is.

My advice would be to get a few samples done. See what is possible from a selection of the originals and then be very selective about which ones you go on to scan - whether you do it yourself or sub it out.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2993867)   #9
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanner that has a feeder that means you can scan a batch of old photos? I have some old photos that I would like to digitise, but want to take some of the labour out of it.

If it can do negatives (with a feeder) too that would be smashing.

My internet search has left me no better off. I know they exist, but can't gauge the effectiveness or cost.
The old Nikon Coolscans had a bin facility that you could load up to 40 slides in mounts, then press the button and walk away. They are discontinued but may be around on ebay etc., I have one that I dont use anymore. The other issue is that they connected to PCs by a SCSI interface..........good luck sorting that out.

With present day scanners it depends on the level of quality that is required for the scan.

If high quality output is the aim than I would suggest that you look at either the Epson V750PRO (a flatbed) or the Plustek Optifilm 7600,(a dedicated 35mm machine)

Software wise these are the leaders

Reviews and practical suggestions can be seem

HERE

and

HERE

Even someone as ham fisted as me can produce scans that are usable in books and magazines.

It is a complicated and frustrating activity.