Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 13 Jan 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3353551)   #101
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Too much discussion on this - I'm told (by those who really do know) its really a done deal - Nissan will be in P1 in '15. Budget sign off is a formality. I believe the car is already in a CAD system somewhere near Wellingborough...
I'll poke my nose around Kettering to see if I can find it there.

Thanks Sam
Old 13 Jan 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3353569)   #102
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Too much discussion on this - I'm told (by those who really do know) its really a done deal - Nissan will be in P1 in '15. Budget sign off is a formality. I believe the car is already in a CAD system somewhere near Wellingborough...
You know better than that Sam - this is a discussion forum - until those in the know (at whatever level) know the same as those who aren't in the know, then there will be discussion, conjecture and debate.......
Old 13 Jan 2014, 19:35 (Ref:3353572)   #103
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok then I'll bite.

If this project comes to pass then who will we see on driving duties?

A while back I tweeted that I'd like to see the prospect of three cars - one with full established pros, the other with GT Academy graduates and a third with Japanese SuperGT talent.

That was retweeted by Darren Cox and Lucas Ordonez. It's a nice dream.

What a story it would be if they could put Lucas and Jann in a P1 car. The ultimate ladder of progression in sportscars. The question is will a third driver emerge as ready in 2014? Who else could be involved? Alex Brundle securing deeper links this season with Nissan is telling. Is Michael Krumm still at the elite P1 level? Let's see.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 20:43 (Ref:3353595)   #104
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Ok then I'll bite.

If this project comes to pass then who will we see on driving duties?

A while back I tweeted that I'd like to see the prospect of three cars - one with full established pros, the other with GT Academy graduates and a third with Japanese SuperGT talent.

That was retweeted by Darren Cox and Lucas Ordonez. It's a nice dream.

What a story it would be if they could put Lucas and Jann in a P1 car. The ultimate ladder of progression in sportscars. The question is will a third driver emerge as ready in 2014? Who else could be involved? Alex Brundle securing deeper links this season with Nissan is telling. Is Michael Krumm still at the elite P1 level? Let's see.
As a young guns team, Mardenbrough, Ordonez and Brundle, sounds really good. They might want to put some SuperGT drivers in another car.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3353597)   #105
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Aye, I'd say that those three are a shoe-in, and likely the Zeod drivers this year unless Krumm is also involved. It will be interesting to see of the likes of Shultitsky (sp?) and Reip are placed this year.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 21:08 (Ref:3353600)   #106
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
We should all know by now, that budget sign off by Board of Directors is never a formality... corporate whims change at an instant. Nissan is my second favourite make to cheer for next to Porsche, so I'd dearly love to see them join the party.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 21:46 (Ref:3353613)   #107
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I dont have the link, but Ordonez has said that running an lmp1 Nissan and winning Le Mans was his goal. Pretty sure that was in the recent months from some Gran Turismo academy deal. I expect he will be among the first confirmed drivers *when the car is announced.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3353618)   #108
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
It will be interesting to see of the likes of Mark Shulzhitskiy and Reip are placed this year.
Yep I'm also intrigued by this. They need to be in full-time WEC P2 drives really if they want to make the grade. Certainly they need Le Mans drives.

I'd have thought Shulzhitskiy would have been a good fit for G-Drive/Rusinov but I'm not sure whether that relationship has come apart? Gazprom could be a good backer for a P1 programme so that's something to keep an eye on.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 02:18 (Ref:3353683)   #109
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
.... I believe the car is already in a CAD system somewhere near Wellingborough...
Why do you think is near Wellingborough?
Old 14 Jan 2014, 02:28 (Ref:3353687)   #110
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
Why do you think is near Wellingborough?
RML is there.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 03:26 (Ref:3353695)   #111
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And when does RML hook up with Nissan? (No offense, but surely they are busy promoting their S2000 TC1 Cruze now)
Old 14 Jan 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3353722)   #112
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've got the Deltawing and Zeod on their site so the links to Nissan are there.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3354267)   #113
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Of course. They also did the Juke-R project for Nissan. I'm surprised that it is Signatech who's running the works-supported P2 programme and not RLM, to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
How many laps would make the Lola Dryson? (2/3)?
Also conseder that Drayson's Lola had to go on a serious diet and still weighs just under 1000kg, and that's without an ICE part of the drivetrain! Adding an engine you'd have to shed what 400kg to stay under the minimum weight of P1? Sure, that isn't the newest and the lightest of chassis, but still.

In any case, as much as electric cars don't thrill me at all, it would be very interesting to see an educated estimate of the laptimes a proper range-extended electric could do at Le Mans with same fuel flow restriction as a regular ICE car would have.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 15 Jan 2014 at 14:26.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3354318)   #114
Jack Spratt
Rookie

Jack Spratt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
And when does RML hook up with Nissan? (No offense, but surely they are busy promoting their S2000 TC1 Cruze now)
Remeber that it was RML who actually ran the Deltawing and not Highcroft, they used the RML Nissan engine.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 17:53 (Ref:3354347)   #115
BanjoMaster
Rookie

BanjoMaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I, like many, admired the pluckiness of the Deltawing, I still cannot get past the looks. Same with the Zeod. If (leaving all the politics aside and putting my seldom-used optimist's hat on) it all comes to pass and we do see a Nissan LMP1 on the grid in '15, I hope it follows the more conventional design route and is a 'proper' looking prototype. I'm all for the small-capacity-petrol-plus-electric drivetrain thing as well, Nissan; just please come back with something with a rectangular footprint please!
Old 15 Jan 2014, 21:07 (Ref:3354418)   #116
Machin
Racer

Machin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
How many laps would make the Lola Dryson? (2/3)?
I've constructed the chart below from the 2012 Le Mans qualifying results... its only an estimate based on non-hybrid cars only, in which I have assumed that the average power output over the lap is 80% of maximum output. The Deltawing figure is based on the fact that the car managed a typical stint of 11 laps with a 40 litre tank (3.65 litres per lap), and the team declared a BSFC of 235g/kW.hr for their engine.

The dotted line is based on the LMGTE PRO, LMP2 and LMP1 performances.

The Drayson Lola times are based on a car weight of 1000kg+70kg driver and their website says that the onboard energy storage is 30kW.Hr which corresponds to just over 100MJ per ton for a lap of 3:20. I've then fitted the performance it to the dotted line. Remember this car has 860bhp onboard and in pure EV form doesn't weigh that much more than an LMP1, so the one lap performance isn't that surprising.... over two laps they only have half the energy to play with so would need to wind down the power correspondingly....

It would be awesome if the ACO would let the Drayson Lola do a demonstration lap at Le Mans to show what an EV could do....

Last edited by Machin; 15 Jan 2014 at 21:21.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3354439)   #117
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Drayson do not have anywhere near the resources Nissan has. The latest and greatest from them is high tech, but Im sure the company that made the Leaf can do a bit better than Drayson. I hope we see some special tech from them.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 05:55 (Ref:3354567)   #118
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Thanks for the chart, but as far as I'm concerned, the chart illustrates that Deltawing uses energy per lap per ton about the same as P1s with much lower average speed, which means that it is of lower efficiency or way less competitive. Can you clarify it for me?
Old 16 Jan 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3354578)   #119
Machin
Racer

Machin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Thanks for the chart, but as far as I'm concerned, the chart illustrates that Deltawing uses energy per lap per ton about the same as P1s with much lower average speed, which means that it is of lower efficiency or way less competitive. Can you clarify it for me?
In "absolute" terms the Deltawing was quite efficient compared to a normal car, but in relative terms (I.e. relative to its weight) the car was very inefficient compared to a normal car simply because it was so slow through the corners.... now whether that was down to the "innovative" wheel layout, the chassis setup or the tyres we don't know.... we'll see when the Zeod runs whether it performs "on the curve" but the Deltawing hasn't managed to get anywhere near the curve all year in the ALMS despite now having run on 3 different tyres.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 11:20 (Ref:3354647)   #120
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The second version of the DWing (the original was designed to race in IndyCar) was supposed to gain its edge through fewer poit stops over the length of an endurance race, so lap-to-lap, it could afford to give uop some speed.

Now we see that the latest iteration is not apparently more fuel- or rubber-efficient, so the slower lap times really hurt it.

However it won't be until the ZEOD runs that we will really know, because (it seems, based on performance) only Ben Bowlby can really build a DWing (though he is getting sued for doing so.)

Performance/weight is one metric; finishing fifth at Petit in only its second race is another. Possibly the original DWing might have developed into a real contender had not the money and Ben Bowbly gone away.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3356273)   #121
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
Nissans 2015 LMP1 engine is a mith i am told reliably. I for one, believe.
So it will be the first pedal-powered Le Mans prototype? Talk about 'doing it differently'...
Old 20 Jan 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3356286)   #122
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Or diesel electric hammerhead-eagle-i-thrust garage 58?
Old 20 Jan 2014, 15:48 (Ref:3356291)   #123
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Flinstone-style foot power, for the merchandising tie-ins.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3356308)   #124
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Maybe it will have a minisized nuclear plant hidden in the back = it will produce its own energy.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3356705)   #125
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Giant Scalextric.
Closed Thread