Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3941208)   #76
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Really?

I say that one is 100% Vettels fault. Leclerc had the ability and option to avoid Vettels stupidity and chose not to do so. But it remains Vettels fault.
That's what I thought at the time. I'll need to watch it again.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3941210)   #77
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thought it was 50/50.
50% Sebastian and 50% Vettel, yes.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3941214)   #78
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just watching Binotto being interviewed. He's a sensible man:
  • We shouldn't judge in the heat of the moment
  • We need to analyse what happened in detail
  • Both drivers should feel sorry for the outcome for the team
Old 17 Nov 2019, 19:25 (Ref:3941215)   #79
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Vettel typically terse in the media pen. He really doesn't deal with these adverse situations well, where Leclerc seemed annoyed but remained eloquent.

We really need a fly-on-the-wall in the Ferrari motorhome this evening.
You won't need to be a fly, be within a mile and I'm sure you'll hear it. Red Bull should be having around LeClerc more often and hinting if Vettel isn't let go
Old 17 Nov 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3941218)   #80
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this the first race with the fast lap point wasted? I don't remember anyone outside the top 10 fastest so far but I can't say I've got the best memory
Old 17 Nov 2019, 19:42 (Ref:3941224)   #81
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Just watching Binotto being interviewed. He's a sensible man:
  • We shouldn't judge in the heat of the moment
  • We need to analyse what happened in detail
  • Both drivers should feel sorry for the outcome for the team
Yes, they should put him in charge. Oh no, wait a minute...

Leadership before now and this wouldn’t have happened today.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3941229)   #82
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No / Driver 44 - Lewis Hamilton
Competitor Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
Time 15:44
Session Race
Fact Incident between car 44 and car 23 in turn 10.
Offence Breach of Appendix L, Chapter IV Article 2 of the FIA International Sporting Code.
Decision 5 second time penalty imposed after the race in accordance with Article 38.3 of the
FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.
(5 seconds added to elapsed race time).
2 penalty points imposed (total of 4 in the 12 month period)
so Sainz has his first podium but was not on that podium
Old 17 Nov 2019, 20:08 (Ref:3941232)   #83
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
so Sainz has his first podium but was not on that podium
Sainz under investigation for using DRS under yellow.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 20:15 (Ref:3941234)   #84
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlxA2nEe0gM (1:05m)

Just saying....

I'll stick to what I've said earlier about Vettel, if the situation gets too hot he just looses his marbles way too often.

Extremely happy for Gasly! Everyone is saying he couldn't cope mentally next to Verstappen, but I disagree, for the most part it I think it was the very unpredictable RB car of the first half that also didn't suit driving style. Back in the TR and he is instantly back to his old form.

Feel very sorry for Albon. I must admit there is certainly progression in his driving. Racecraft is excellent, just needs to find some extra pace the next season.

Bottas was his usual self.

Very gracious of Hamilton to admit fault. For me it was not that clear yet. Certainly I don't think it's worth 2 penalty points. It's was a risky move, but not reckless.

RIC- MAG could've been a race incident as well.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 20:31 (Ref:3941235)   #85
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
The way things are going, 4 or 5 drivers look like they could be given penalties for use of DRS under yellow flags. If the worst case comes to fruition, Hamilton will be 3rd again!

Old 17 Nov 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3941238)   #86
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
https://drivetribe.com/p/hamilton-re...rce=organic_F1

Hamilton now 7th...
Old 17 Nov 2019, 21:18 (Ref:3941246)   #87
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 17 Nov 2019, 22:29 (Ref:3941258)   #88
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Really?

I say that one is 100% Vettels fault. Leclerc had the ability and option to avoid Vettels stupidity and chose not to do so. But it remains Vettels fault.
Apostrophes, love, APOSTROPHES! 'Vettel's'!
Old 17 Nov 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3941259)   #89
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Get the pictures now before they come to take it away and give it to Kimi.
Old 17 Nov 2019, 22:39 (Ref:3941264)   #90
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKYB4fDz5Vc

Footage of Vettel Leclerc contact.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 00:28 (Ref:3941283)   #91
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let me start by saying that Gasly did an excellent job being best of the rest most of the race and Sainz, great race from the back. However by rights they should not be celebrating their first podium. Albon should be. Not because of the incident with Hamilton, that’s racing, but because of this ridiculous SC free pass rule for lapped cars, that has everything to do with luck and nothing to do with skill and therefore does not belong in Formula 1 Grand Prix racing. And the fact the SC was unnecessary makes it worse. If it hadn’t been for that, Alexander would have rejoined in 3rd, with everyone behind him a lap back and therefore would have taken his first podium, with Gasly an excellent 4th, ahead of Sainz in 5th. Instead Albon ends up with nothing thanks to a farcical rule more than anything. If I was in charge of F1 tomorrow, this would be the first rule I would get rid of. Apart from IMHO making a mockery of the results, it wastes unnecessary laps behind the SC

About the Hamilton/Albon incident, seemed Lewis wasn’t quite inside enough, even if Alex left the door open and if you were going to punish Danny, you would have to punish him too. But of course the bigger problem is that most contact results in a penalty

Vettel, what was he doing? He was taking a risk going for that tiny gap round the outside, then just drives into his team mate. And the fact he didn’t hold his hands up makes things worse. I would not be surprised if he gets his P45 before the end of the season, they can always get a replacement. Alonso they may or may not be interested in, but they can always give Hulk a bell. After all, he’ll probably be cheap at this time

Good win for Max, at least a backmarker didn’t completely ruin things for him this time! He’s really looking good atm. He’s been on top form all season. And well done to Alfa, good quali, then both cars in the points in the race. Although what happened to Haas after such a good quali?
Old 18 Nov 2019, 01:39 (Ref:3941292)   #92
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Look at the length of the post!
Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3941349)   #93
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Vettel hasn't done anything stupid for a few races, so I guess it was time to remind everyone what he is really like.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3941360)   #94
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let me start by saying that Gasly did an excellent job being best of the rest most of the race and Sainz, great race from the back. However by rights they should not be celebrating their first podium. Albon should be. Not because of the incident with Hamilton, that’s racing, but because of this ridiculous SC free pass rule for lapped cars, that has everything to do with luck and nothing to do with skill and therefore does not belong in Formula 1 Grand Prix racing. And the fact the SC was unnecessary makes it worse. If it hadn’t been for that, Alexander would have rejoined in 3rd, with everyone behind him a lap back and therefore would have taken his first podium, with Gasly an excellent 4th, ahead of Sainz in 5th. Instead Albon ends up with nothing thanks to a farcical rule more than anything. If I was in charge of F1 tomorrow, this would be the first rule I would get rid of. Apart from IMHO making a mockery of the results, it wastes unnecessary laps behind the SC
Don't get me started! I'll settle for "I agree."

Incidents:

I thought the penalty was a little bit tough on Riciardo but Magnussen did leave enough room. Dan was off-line and understeered into him.

Vettel is back to his old ways. Leclerc is faster and has better racecraft. Vettel can't take that so tries to intimidate, but he usually does it in a clumsy way. Leclerc made it clear after Austria that he would be no-more-Mr-Niceguy. So Vettel tries to squeeze and Leclerc holds his line, probably thinking it would be a little tap, Vettel would run wide and all would be well. Instead both Ferraris proved to be unexpectedly fragile. It has to be said, the Vettel-jink was much smaller that in Turkey 2010.

I would put the Hamilton-Albon incident about 70-30 down to Hamilton. but it takes two to tango. I think there is a clever bit of psychology going on there. Taking it all on the chin has really cost Hamilton next to nothing because the championship is all done and dusted. However he's shown an honesty and humility that just might tip a balance in his favour when something crops up some time in the future.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3941366)   #95
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the time I didn't really twig the magnitude of the Mercedes error by bringing in Hamilton for tyres near the end. It was only when I read James Allinson's comments and thought back over it that it became obvious. There would be so few laps left when the safety car came in that a two place drop while pitting was too big a price to pay. But never mind, they were obviously handing out the hold-my-hand-up pills at Mercedes this weekend.

Mario Spaghetti really has a big driver management problem on his hands. He managed to lay down the law on what would be said in post-race interviews and both drivers gave us some bland non-comments.

Given the string of mistakes over the past two seasons, there is no evidence to suggest that Vettel is going to get out of his problems. However I can't see him accepting any sort of No 2 role. On the other hand, leaving now would be just as much of a humiliation. So what other options are there?

On the other hand, Leclerc is clearly the real deal, and still learning at a very rapid rate. In Austria, he was too nice and lost out. In Monza, he swung a little too far the other way, but got away with it. At Interlagos he was hard but fair, and only lost out because of the fragility of the car. He made a big mistake in Baku qualifying, but his qualifying since the summer break has been exceptional.

Ferrari has a long history of employing a clear No1 driver and a brown-nose No 2. Presumably they knew they were deviating from that philosophy when they put Vettel and Leclerc together, or perhaps they didn't! I don't know if any other team could manage the present rivalry any better, but clearly Ferrari will find it difficult.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 12:32 (Ref:3941388)   #96
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Thinking about it in the cold light of day (and by heck it was cold this morning!) I remain convinced that whilst we saw an exciting and engrossing race, the first SC period was (a) totally unnecessary - if anything was needed a VSC would have covered it - the car was way off line and Bottas had done a good job of parking it where it could easily be recovered, and (b) ridiculously protracted - doing all the wave-past was again unnecessary.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3941395)   #97
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Vettel clearly illustrated yet again that he is more likely to throw results away than get them in the bag.

My stance for the last 2-3 years has been that his abilities and results are not befitting of a 4x champion and unacceptable for a top team driver.

Clearly he has become a 'diva' and believes that he is automatically entitled to do and say what he likes.

I can only assume that his contract says he is defacto Number 1 with some other favourable clauses within it is why the management hasn't fired him. I also suspect Leclerc was signed with certain assurances about parity as long as he proved speed and willingness to play the team game which he has done.

With this in mind it maybe a lot more difficult for Binotto and co. to just sort this out in team discussions, if it was these things would not keep happening.

Vettel's driving and demeanour smacks of desperately trying to cling on to his status, knowing full well that consistent defeat at this stage would make it hard to stay in F1. He is clearly not able to accept any changes in priorities at Ferrari.

I mean, would you sign this driver if you wanted a strong, composed team leader?!

Niko Hulkenberg could yet get invited to continue his F1 career...
Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3941416)   #98
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Thinking about it in the cold light of day (and by heck it was cold this morning!) I remain convinced that whilst we saw an exciting and engrossing race, the first SC period was (a) totally unnecessary - if anything was needed a VSC would have covered it - the car was way off line and Bottas had done a good job of parking it where it could easily be recovered, and (b) ridiculously protracted - doing all the wave-past was again unnecessary.
The first SC seemed odd. Bottas did a great job in where he parked the car. My speculation is twofold. First, maybe the recovery vehicle had to peek just a bit beyond the barrier to get at the car? Second, we seem to continue to have issues in which drivers can't respect the need to be careful for local yellows (such as car recovery). Both may have triggered the SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Vettel's driving and demeanour smacks of desperately trying to cling on to his status, knowing full well that consistent defeat at this stage would make it hard to stay in F1. He is clearly not able to accept any changes in priorities at Ferrari.
One of the commentators made this point and I suspect it is accurate, but I think Vettel thought it was his right to challenge for the front. He was then surprised by the pass by Leclerc. That created a red-mist moment in that "Leclerc clearly didn't understand his place", so Vettel was going to pass AND do it harshly to send a message. Unfortunately it didn't send the right message!

Overall, the last 20 laps was fun to watch. It's unfortunate that much of the "good racing" required multiple SC periods to set the stage. It clearly was showing much more performance parity for the top cars and that is a good thing.

Richard
Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3941420)   #99
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is Ferrari better served by letting everything just play out this season (even if it ends in tears) rather than risk letting these issues fester during the winter and bubble to the surface next season?

There may be opportunity here.

How they handle this now may be far more important to their chances next year then currently may seem the case.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3941424)   #100
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well I think it’s clear that Ferrari might not be so keen to make Vettel the clear no 1 now. It might not make Seb happy, but then it’s not his team