Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2000, 09:54 (Ref:18454)   #1
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My conclusion, after going to all the races this year.
Canadian GP 200MPH down to 30 or so MPH. But where was the overtaking.
As much as Monaco is a great tradition, BIN it! They might aswell declare the winner after Qualifying and let the crowds mingle with the cars and drivers on the track on the Sunday. I know Schuey broke down, but it needed some element of surprise to make it a bit interesting!
Whats happened to the grooved tyre inspired improvements in the action ?
Get some width into some of the tracks and bends so the lines in the bends can be varied. I seriously wonder why we all watch it, I watched the video of Canada when I got home last night. Boring apart from a few rain incidents, Jaques might aswell have been a man from the past walking in front with a red flag helping let the other two waltz into the distance.
If you need grip in the bends to get around them how can you risk overtaking when the tyre give reduced levels of grip and the downforce settings compensate for the tyres untill you slow through the bends or lose downforce when following another car.
FIA and FOCA should grant money to the tracks so that the tracks present drivers with more opportunites for passing manouvres. I was talking to some Canadian Guys about their British GP visit, they remembered the weather the mud and chaos. But couldn`t remember what happened in the Race!
Monaco this year is "the race where MS broke down" not a great win or great race.
Lets see the tracks improved before F1 dies.
PS. I just popped by for Goodwood.I`m gone again on Monday
Old 21 Jun 2000, 10:12 (Ref:18460)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised you've not given up on Snoremula One and taken up attending Indy races instead. As has been said before, they have two very differen philosphies to racing - in F1 the excitement is the event itself, the build up, the glamour, etc. In Cart, they don't give to hoots about all the guff, they just get on and RACE.

It's just a shame that Cart cannot promote itself to the masses - the potential for that series is huge. Can't wait to see it at Rockingham next year

PS See you at Goodwood ?
Old 21 Jun 2000, 20:04 (Ref:18569)   #3
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah. fatbloke's right. CART is all about racing. All the cars are more or less the same so it's the driver's talent what counts. I personaly like F1 more because of the technical aspect but since I don't have to choose I watch both.

I think that the race they'll have at England will be an oval. Prepare yourself because it's a pretty different thing. Super high speeds and something you rarely see in F1....side by side racing. And sometimes the endings are....wow. i pernoaly remember last year's race at michigan. Last lap. Max Papis has the lead followed by kanaan and Montoya but in the last corner Papis runs out of fuel and kanaan releases the throtle a bit and all of the sudden from out of nowhere Montoya's car appears like a bullet and charges Kanaan to the finish line and kanaan just wins by about 1/3 of a carlength....I remember that I almost had a heart attack that day.
Old 22 Jun 2000, 00:04 (Ref:18638)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Michigan race was one of the few I saw last year, because Channel 5 show the CART here and I can't pick up that channel when I'm at university DAMMNIT. I have to agree it was a brilliant race - despite it being an oval .

And I for one will certainly be at the Rockingham oval in 2001.

In terms of F1 needing a kick up the backside, I have to agree. Last year was great because of the number of different winners, and the big dramas... This year has been distinctly lacklustre. Thankfully it hasn't reached the level of 1998 but there's half the season still to go.

It needs some OOMPH!
Old 22 Jun 2000, 02:51 (Ref:18660)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yah, Cart is all about racing.

Well not really. If the race was the point of the whole thing, then they probably would not artifically bunch up the field every 5 laps when somebody goes off line.

Cart is formulated to provide entertainment.
F1 is the one that is formulated to provide a race.

I suspect what you guys are simply crying for is more passing. I just rewatched the Canadian GP, and there were more passes for position in that race than there are in most Cart road races.

If you want to increase the passing in F1, just keep tabs on the rear wings, and give them some more mechanical grip. But of course that won't happen.

I just came back form Montreal, and I can honestly say I had more fun than I had at the 5 Cart races I have been to combined. Nothing wrong with F1 there.
Old 22 Jun 2000, 03:07 (Ref:18661)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well for me it's not so much the passing. In 1998 at fontana (I think) there were 60+ leader changes but I liked last year's race at michigan much more with "only" 20+ leader changes.

I really don't care much about overtaking as long as a challenge is possible....but seing Schu take a 30 second lead....well....that's not much fun. It would habe been much better to se someone behind him even if that guy never made the move.