Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jun 2000, 19:33 (Ref:18559)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Autosport:

Technical changes for 2001 could make passing less of a lost art.

Technical changes brought in for the 2001 Formula 1 season could make overtaking easier by reducing front-end downforce and aerodynamic sensitivity.

The series of changes, which also include enhanced driver protection, were unanimously agreed by the F1 teams and passed by the FIA World Council, motorsport’s rule-making body today (June 21).

A major change affecting a car’s performance will be the raising of its front wing by 50mm next season. The closer a wing runs to the ground, the more downforce it produces, so a 50mm height change will significantly reduce downforce. Additionally, designers may be forced to reduce rear-end downforce to maintain the balance of the car.

The ultimate effect will be to reduce corner speeds and, it is hoped, make the cars less sensitive to running in the slipstream of another car, making overtaking easier.

Safety changes include a more stringent side-load test for roll-over structures, the 2001 minimum requirement being raised by 400%, larger cockpit openings, increased internal cockpit dimensions with foam padding around the driver’s legs, and a larger minimum external chassis cross-section.

Additionally, the number of cable tethers attaching each wheel to the main bodywork has been increased from one to two, further reducing the chance of a wheel hitting the driver in an accident.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 20:20 (Ref:18573)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Instead of redesigning the wheel, why not allow the team to use venturi undertrays so that wings are used to tune the car and not for downforce? Instant passing.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 20:30 (Ref:18576)   #3
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cutting down force won't make passing. Look at other series, cars can run multiple lines through corners, in F1 there is only one line, cutting down force will simply make this problem worse. If you want instant passing, back to slicks, what KC suggested and take those damn "dirty air" devices off the cars!
Old 21 Jun 2000, 21:29 (Ref:18588)   #4
Rated R
Rookie

Rated R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys,
at least they are trying to do something! It's better than being ignorant. Guess the letters we sent did have somewhat of an effect or maybe even Bernie got bored himself, who knows. Of course credit should be given to Gerard who started the "Why are we still..." thread after the Spanish GP.
Let's hope now
Old 21 Jun 2000, 23:47 (Ref:18624)   #5
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that grooved tyres were gonna be the thing which slowed cars and improved overtaking ? I'll believe it when I see it.

My plan on making a fascinating series with lots of overtaking ? Scrap the current rules, and start afresh, with Cart's rules forming the backbone of the new series. Can you imagine them round Monaco or Spa ? mmmm.....
Old 22 Jun 2000, 07:26 (Ref:18680)   #6
Devlin
Racer

Devlin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's see - they're aiming to reduce the downforce, and at the same time the safety bits are being reinforced. One thought comes to my mind - bumper cars! I mean, it seems as though they are trying to make F1 more interesting by creating more accidents. Bernie (or Max), please prove me wrong.