Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 9 Jan 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3186968)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think we have moved on a little from that Tim, I have kind of explained myself away, so little need for the usual mod sarky comments sadly.

As for the bike Rick

I remember Art Arfons towards the end of his life went back to the Salt with a sort of little trike with a small jet motor, he had problems getting the motor to run as he had to fit things in and around the pipe outlet in order to keep it small, and to be fair he was an old an by then.

But he ran very acute little canards on the front end, it seems you either go long and thin or wide fat and low as a lot of the early liners were like Eyston, Segrave Donald C and the like.

Your car reminds me shape wise of the last Mickey Thompson car or even Goldenrod, which was a breathtakingly beutiful piece of design and a car I actually saw in real life over here once at a show, with old man Summers!! My God how I wish I had my LSR books handy!!!

It must be tempting to run ballast up front, but I guess with all your weight and most of the mech weight either midships or near you, must be real hard to keep front down
Old 9 Jan 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3186994)   #27
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP:Clio51 View Post
Ok, now I know you are a fellow LSR freak, I've forgiven you.

Lots more about the Flower in this fabulous short movie shot in 2011 on the Salt by a local kid, Josh Clason, which is what attracted the BBC to the project in the first place.

The Flower runs a rake to make sure there is always pressure on the nose... we looked at some suspension linked canards and designed a system but not had the funds to implement it yet. You can see in the video above how much the front moves around at Speed... and also the wheels patter... we reckon the front wheels touch every 3 meters alternatively, so putting vibrations through the car, and in particular, my eyes. Above about 180 mph, vision is basically limited to just colours.

Cheers
Rick
I have to say I admire you, the whole team and all the other teams who have put time and money into going across to boneville to live out you're dreams. It doesn't matter how its funded and how much it costs, the fact is you a living a dream and that's all that matters. I tip my hat to everyone in the programme and can't wait for the next episode!

(I hope when I finally get myself back onto the drag strip this year...funds depending...I will be setting a few of my own personal bests too!)
Old 12 Jan 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3188066)   #28
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For anyone outside the UK who can't access the BBC 1st episode is now on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFCBOwD-BwI
Old 12 Jan 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3188122)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Rick, I've just realised it's you that has the thread going on this LSR elsewhere, I'm now ashamed to say I haven't read it but now I'll have to go back and sit down and have a read.
As for the grumpy gits knocking you for making the effort to do this, **** em, keep up the great work and good luck to you and your team, I can't wait for the next episode.

Seconded Tim,always the same in the UK,someone starts doing well and the knockers just swoop down from their little hideaways,ignoring them is best.
Rick,keep it up! Best to be a dream chaser rather than just wishing you had done whilst lying on your death bed.
Really looking forward to tomorrow evening.
300mph on the Salt flats beats 211mph on the German side of the E42.

Last edited by terence; 12 Jan 2013 at 10:45.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3188135)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This thread has evolved quite a bit, it would be nice for people to just post on the comments made rather than having pre conceived ideas about me and making barbed childish comments about "knockers". Not everyone in life is always going to say positive things. I enjoyed the program, there are so few about this kind of thing, but as explained felt Ricks effort was considerably different to the rest. And it is! He was portrayed a certain way, rightly or wrongly, but very differently to the rest of the people showcased.

If you actually read what has been posted, it has been taken on board by those concerned. It seems the program and Rick have attracted some comments from a few people, not just me. The people I have told about the program were a little similarly perplexed at the way the Scottish team were portrayed, the comment about the blue hat etc.

It seems they were a little led down the path by what they thought was going to be shown.

The show itself is great, a real breath of fresh air and just a shame it is only a few programs. I feel at least they could almost have done a show about each machine.

Though, again Ricks vehicle is really a car as it has 4 (or 3 not quite sure) wheels, but uses a bike engine to try and achieve its goal.

Have any of you bemoaning my comments been on his site? Found out anymore info? watched the vid they sent in?

I can admit to getting something wrong, I only wish the naysayers could do to.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3188148)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post

Seconded Tim,always the same in the UK,someone starts doing well and the knockers just swoop down from their little hideaways,ignoring them is best.
Rick,keep it up! Best to be a dream chaser rather than just wishing you had done whilst lying on your death bed.
Really looking forward to tomorrow evening.
300mph on the Salt flats beats 211mph on the German side of the E42.

Chunder has merely expressed his opinion, as he's entitled to do. Hardly a 'knocker swooping down from a little hideaway......'

Move on.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3188149)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I mine.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3188152)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent. Now we can move on.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3188816)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I found after the first episode the second was an anti climax, possibly like some of the participants also thought considering the results.
However a good program well worth watching, obviously "being there" is a lot more exciting than seeing it on the box.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jan 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3188844)   #35
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Excellent program parts one and two . The problems you and the others had just shows why its not for everyone .I know quite a few racing drivers who would have thrown there teddy bears so far out of bed they would still be looking for it .Lets hope all the teams find the funding to return .

Peter
Old 14 Jan 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3188855)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I found after the first episode the second was an anti climax, possibly like some of the participants also thought considering the results.
However a good program well worth watching, obviously "being there" is a lot more exciting than seeing it on the box.
Was gutted for the guy who was taken ill, the others problems just confirmed that it was like any other motorsport!

Agree Gordon, like a lot of things in life the event didn't quite live up to the build up.....

(And am talking from a viewing on tv aspect)
Old 14 Jan 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3188863)   #37
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a great documentary, and only last night did I realize that it was 'our' Rick Pearson in the Flower of Scotland... mega stuff man and well done for the effort ! Any one of us who've participated in motor sport will have had a taster of what these guys have gone through in terms of ups/downs, euphoria and devastation... though it's clearly on a more pronounced scale here.

A question for Rick, what's the basis for the motor ? Is it a modified bike engine, or something you guys developed yourselves ? Also, given that you're down around 1000cc, did you not consider going for two stroke rather than four stroke to develop more power ?

There was an excellent documentary on a few years back about Walt and Art Arfons' sibling rivalry for the LSR, not sure who did it, but it's a must watch for any LSR fan if you've not seen it.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 09:31 (Ref:3188878)   #38
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for kind words chaps... I thought the film was beautifully put together, and they got across the pain of our week, if not the full story pretty well.

For those that are interested, my diary for the week is here:

http://www.efgmotorracing.com/index....peed-week.html

Fingers crossed the BBC get enough good feedback to make a 2nd series, and we will then be able to raise the cash to get back this year.

Salt Fever is an expensive disease.

Rick
Old 14 Jan 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3188982)   #39
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Rick I admire you for what you have done as I don't know if I would have the bottle to try it (especially at my age now !)
OK you threw a lot of money at it and good on you as you could have just p***ed it up in the south of France or whatever if you so wished !
Hopefully it will come together in the future if you try it again.
Incidentally I have seen that particular type of spark plug break lots of times over the years, normally on the old Ford HCS engine as they corrode in and snap very easily. Those types of plugs are very weak in that area and should be tightened with a torque wrench to the specified setting and not just pulled up tight.
Obviously your mechanics will know this (or should) and is just an observation by me
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jan 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3188993)   #40
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would love to have a go at something like this, althought would never likely be able to afford it, shame there really isnt somewhere in Europe with the same level of interest and history.

Rick, thought you were portrayed far better in this show, not quite sure what they were playing at in the first one, but this one was a lot more fair, was quite comical when the old girl just kept coming abck for more, you will let us know if you are planning on keeping going I hope.

As mentioned, felt so sorry for Gus, to be taken down by that illness, but what great spirit by the Herts lads, letting the guy whose bike broke have a go, typical.

My fave though is the chap on the Indian, lovely story, lovely man and a real positive to come out of it with the other group and their bike for their mate, I was wellling up when he set off.

All in all, a shame there are not more shows, I would love to know more about the American stuff. Surely there must be an appetite on a cable channel for more shows, such a sahme, but it was on the Beeb which is brilliant, lets hope it sparks ore peopel to want to go.

But, an amazing insight into what goes on, makes the achievements of Campbell ('s), Segrave. Eyston, Noble, Green all the more staggering when you realise how much goes into getting a vehicle to work there.

Maybe also a sign that Bonneville is getting harder to run on, hence why most big unlimited efforts now run elsewhere as the salt seems harder and harder to work with.

But it whets the appetite, would love to go out there, but maybe in a car eh!!
Old 14 Jan 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3189017)   #41
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think you are right and would be good to see more on Bonneville. There were so many characters, even in the restricted coverage shown. Loved the lady historian, she was very articulate and obviously knew her stuff. The scrutineers, marshals, time keepers et al am sure would have stories to tell- before you even start on the competitors!

More please!
Old 14 Jan 2013, 18:30 (Ref:3189066)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I have heard quite a bit from that lady, she was quite invovled with the Arfons show I recall.

There is a fascination with this place, and I think a possiblity of coverage, lets hope this show makes people realise this.

I would love to know more about the really quick stuff at Bonneville, I do recall a show about Al Teague who was very close to breaking the wheel driven record a few years ago, before Vesco put it out of reach with the Turbinator!
Old 14 Jan 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3189071)   #43
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Caught the programme last night purely by chance - it was on when I stopped the recording I was watching. It had already started so I had no idea of the content. Just after I started they cut to the commentator saying 'here comes Rick Pearson' and I thought 'I know a Rick Pearson from 10ths, wouldn't it be funny if it were the same person. Just after it cut to an interview...

Really enjoyed the show, and full of admiration for your attempts. Good luck, Rick, really hope this happens for you sometime. I shall take more notice in future.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3189180)   #44
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Loved both shows, loved the enthusiasm of everyone involved.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3189237)   #45
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Salt Fever is an expensive disease.
Rick we have disagreed on this forum in the past on this though I fully agree. I think this, the Munroe film and the BAR 067 Lakester have meant that I have caught it too. But which record to go for?? I'd love to grab a cap before you but no chance - that said a Racing Eagle could be quicker than scotlands spiky rose!

Fantastic film, I hope it gets a 2nd series (indeed I'll write to that effect in RCE) - and I hope the UK motorsport industry get behind these records again like they did with the JCB project. By the way Bluebird CN7 would knock the spots off anything on the salt today - it never ran to its true top speed.

Is that bow tie fire proof?

Finally the best bit of the film was the bunch of guys commemorating their mate in the best possible way, that and the mad bloke from Norfolk on the Indian.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3189240)   #46
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would be fun to put the flower in the Wind Tunnel at MIRA...
Old 15 Jan 2013, 08:57 (Ref:3189310)   #47
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the bow tie is fireproof... that suit is my tribute to the guys who went before me in just flying helmet and goggles... shame the BBC didn't bother to show the explanation!

There are so many records, and the guys on the Salt are so welcoming. It's just sad that all our sponsors were from overseas and we had zero interest from the UK in supporting us.

Contrary to what the BBC implied, I've not got much cash in the project... I underwrite it a little to help the cashflow sometimes but astonishingly, due to the kindness of EFG International, who saw it as "a fabulous adventure" and the Methanol Institute and Atlantic Methanol who want to raise awareness of their fuels we actually managed to pay the crews airfares last year for the first time.
That said... the accommodation on the Salt is blagged... and all the work on the car is done by the lads in their spare time. It's very much a labour of love.

And I'm well aware that if I could borrow CN7 I could still cause trouble to those records... it's a fabulous car and I worship the history of the Salt. Obsessive.

As for grabbing a cap before me... it may take me another 20 years to get my blue one, and there are always red ones available for breaking a record over 200mph. I hope we'll be back this year... waiting to speak to all the sponsors when the dust settles.

Davy the engine is a sleeved-down Ninja motor (ZX-11) which we use because the drag race boys have a long history of turbo-charging it. We can get up to about 500bhp out of it. Should be plenty!

Cheers for all the kind words folks, I'll pass them all onto the team

Rick
Old 15 Jan 2013, 09:04 (Ref:3189312)   #48
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Watched both last night.

Brilliant.

It's been a good month for the licence fee payer.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3189364)   #49
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I suspect a lot of LSR spec cars are cleverly esigned these days, its what makes Arfons cars so incredible really.

He was doing nearly 600mph in a car designed by himself that sort fo looked right!

No wind tunnels there, I dont even think Breedlove used a tunnel on Sprit 1, maybe on 2.

The thing that interests me about those early cars is that they were quite high off the ground really, especially Sprit 1, was basically a fuselage on stilts!

Even Green Monster was fairly high, when you compare it to most stuff around now which is very low.

I ahve always thought the best design would surely be low and wide, would seem to be more stable.

But then, I have no intention of ever doing this so!