Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 11 Jan 2012, 23:44 (Ref:3010449)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA has been recognised by the IOC

(I wasn't sure where to put this thread. Sorry about that.)

So does this mean we might see motorsports at the Olympics some day?
Old 12 Jan 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3010629)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
(I wasn't sure where to put this thread. Sorry about that.)

So does this mean we might see motorsports at the Olympics some day?
Maybe.

More likely it will formalise the "Brown Paper Bag" bidding culture for events that the IOC seem to favour so strongly.

Cynical, me?
Old 12 Jan 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3010880)   #3
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why ????

Other than the high and mighty getting invites to each others "back slapping get togethers"

What will anybody gain from this ????

Motorsport in the Olympics !!!! Surely not.

Next they will be letting golf, tennis and football in the Olympics

Steve
Old 12 Jan 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3010944)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
IOC recognition isn't about getting a place in the games, it's about having standards of governance, athlete welfare, anti-doping and so on.

FIM has been IOC recognised since 2000, but that doesn't mean will see Moto GP at a future Olympics. There's plenty of sports that have IOC recognition, everything from ballroom dancing to sumo wrestling.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3010956)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Motorboating was a sport at the 1908 Games. Bit of a disaster, only 1 boat finished in each the three classes. One of the unsuccessful participants was Grand Prix driver Warwick Wright.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3011897)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I remember correctly, the Olympic Charter currently bans sports that rely on mechanical propulsion from being added to the Olympic Games. Besides, deciding the exact form that motorsport at the Olympic Games would take would be a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFurness View Post
Next they will be letting golf, tennis and football in the Olympics

Steve
I think my sarcasm detector may well have failed, but golf is coming in 2016, and tennis and football already are in the Olympics.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3012911)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep. I'm sure you heard about the big fuss about the Scottish, Irish and Welsh FA's not wanting to be apart of the Team GB Football Team?