Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Aug 2000, 15:44 (Ref:32134)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Best Piece of Memorabilia ??

dont know if thats spelt right but hopefully you know what i mean.

I was wondering what is your favorite piece of memrobilia that you own ??

that autograph of Senna's or a piece of bodywork that flew off andretti's car..or even a pair of gloves or something ..what is it ???

mine would be my collection of 1960 Australian Auto Action magazines that i purchased for $5 at a market..excellent read from racing all over the world and race reports from f1 and touring car races back then..just awesome stuff.

or possibly my video collection of over 1000 hours of racing from all round the world from 1990 to present day..endless hours of enjoyment.

so whats yours come on tell us ???
Old 22 Aug 2000, 20:22 (Ref:32174)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A history of McLaren book signed by the '88 team, Prost, Senna, Dennis, Oatley, Murray etc...... To me, on my 16th Birthday.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 21:23 (Ref:32189)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got a large portion of the rear wing upright that Alain Prost backed into the Estoril armco in the wet. Given to me by a friend in "Racing for Britain" (remember them?)

Also an ATS team jacket, given to me by a member of Manfred Winkelhock's pit crew, a Martin Brundle Tyrrell exhaust valve and piston, a plug spirited out of Ferrari's pit garage after Michele Alboreto's qualifying run at the 1985 British GP.

You can tell when my F1 era was...

Old 24 Aug 2000, 11:44 (Ref:32494)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It should have been Craig Lowndes mirror...

But I'm not really sure what my favourite piece of memorabilia is. I have so many things. Not including any of the photos I have taken, it would have to be a print of Mark Webber driving his F3 car at Brands Hatch. Just had it framed..now all I need is a wall.
Old 24 Aug 2000, 23:07 (Ref:32576)   #5
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some handwritten letters from Jimmy Clark, Jack Brabham, Denis Hulme and Timmy Schenken.
A front tyre of Senna's Lotus, a front wing of a Williams-Honda FW09, a book signed by Niki Lauda, a book signed by Jochen Rindt, Rainer Schlegelmilch's "Driving to Perfection" signed by Rubens Barrichello and Jo Ramirez, a 30 year old t-shirt, signed by Piers Courage only an hour before he tragically lost his life at Zandvoort, and my most valuable treasure, an autograph of my all-time hero, Dan Gurney.
Old 25 Aug 2000, 00:30 (Ref:32595)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh gees...where do start....

Umm, Autograph books, sooo many autographs....well i have stopped getting them in the last 2 years, but before then i collected just about all of the ATCC and ASTC drivers, as well as some other locals, and also a fair few indy drivers, team owners etc. Also the International folk who came to Bathurst in 97/98.

Car parts and tear off....a great deal....
I love to walk around the race track before a meeting and pick up bits of dead car, i've got a great deal of Paul Romano's Commodroe stashed in my cupboard, and a favourite piece would have to be of Ross Dillon's Commdore....long story

Billions of photos...millions of videos and books....a signed Dick Johnson video, but the best signed book would have to be the Jim Richards biography from the mid 80s. I took it to the ASTC round in 98 at Lakeside on the Friday morning (of course i was the only spectator there) and Jim nearly fell over! He was rather chuffed that the book was still in mint condition, and not used as a fire starter! Then had a long chat with him, John Bowe, Peter Fitzgerald and Rodney Forbes.

Clothing...well i've got a fair few shirts from the local race teams who I've helped out. But probably the most special shirt i own is a Greg Moore shirt. Some friends over in America sent it to me before the Fontana round last year, but i got it the week after the race....i've never worn the shirt...
Old 25 Aug 2000, 23:31 (Ref:32810)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Gerard, what you have sounds brillant. (Piers RIP) I'm sure there is a load of memories attached, meybe happy and maybe sad

I am not a great one for thse things, in fact you can see me from afar for the lack of motor racing themed clothing at racing events !

I do have a programme from my 1st Le Mans 1978 wich I do treasure, signed by a few drivers ( D Bell incl) plus my hand drawn T Shirt of a Lister Storm signed by Tiff et al at Daytona '97. I also have a folder of assrted stickers that I have picked up over the years.

Simon
Old 12 Jun 2001, 00:22 (Ref:104165)   #8
lajolla92037
Rookie

lajolla92037 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerard
and my most valuable treasure, an autograph of my all-time hero, Dan Gurney.
I just found this forum today, and was searching some old posts and found this one. It's quite interesting what we treasure, in this case, depending on which side of the pond you come from. Dan Gurney has always been one of my favorite drivers, but I've spent so much time in the pits at Indianapolis and other tracks, Dan was just another guy in the garage area. He was a fixture as a driver, owner, and a car builder, on the Indy Car circuit. I wish I had seen him in F1. However I did see him drive, as a team mate to Denny and Bruce, in the 1969 Michigan Can-Am race. Really a great person, also.

My personal treasure, is a note from Nina Rindt, thanking me for the condolances I sent, after the accident.

Only Gerald will get this one ( I checked your prrofile).....have an autographed pic of Clifton Chenier!

Happy to have found this forum!!
Old 12 Jun 2001, 01:00 (Ref:104177)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once it was a bottle opener (remember when you needed to carry them) fashioned by grinding a bit out of a Cortina clutch fork I caught after it escaped from Geoff Russell's car as he raced into Creek Corner at Warwick Farm.

Now, I'm not sure. Probably the Official 50-Race History of The Australian Grand Prix that I have with many winners' autographs. Including Arthur Waite (1928), Warwick Pratley (1951) and Alec Mildren (1960) who have since died.

And my many photos, lots of things, and the memories of the deceased tracks I visited over the years.

Then again... what is more precious? Some of the nicer people I've met along the way... yes, that would be it.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 01:35 (Ref:104188)   #10
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At this time, my best piece of memorabilia is an 1998 Autosprint with his ST Magazine signed by Gaston Mazzacane in the F3000 section made for driver's autographs. :grin:
Old 12 Jun 2001, 01:37 (Ref:104190)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, I forgot! Also a Nordic Racing F3000 shirt of 1999 season.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 05:00 (Ref:104618)   #12
UAtkins
Rookie

UAtkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I suppose I must get my feet wet finally. I've been lurking for awhile. My most treasured item is a perfect racing suit (complete with Dunlop patch) that my Dad had made for me when I was 9 years old. I wore it very proudly to Brands Hatch one weekend, met Geoff Brabham and was very smitten! My Mum (bless her heart) kept it safely and it's in like new condition.

I have my autograph book somewhere with ALL the major racers of the early 60s, collected when wandering about the paddock (mostly at Goodwood). I am going to pick up all my Dad's trophies next week when I go to visit Mum, and since I jumped into these forums in January of 2001 I have accumulated numerous books, magazines, photos, articles, etc. about my Dad (C.T. "Tommy" Atkins) and his cars and drivers. It's been an amazing experience meeting everyone so, like Ray Bell, it's been the people I have met or renewed acquaintance with that are truly the best memories.

Ursula
Old 13 Jun 2001, 05:28 (Ref:104621)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not as cold in here as it is off those Alaskan shores, is it Ursula?

Have I got a treat for you!

Some magazines I picked up the other week have stuff about your dad and his drivers, I'll pick stuff out as I'm going through and let you know.

PM me on this forum if you wish... nice to chat with you again.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 08:07 (Ref:104665)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never really been an avid collector of memorabilia, but some was thrust upon me last night at the Nissan Datsun Car Club general meeting. I won my class at a club lap dash at Lakeside last weekend and last night was presented with my trophy.

No ordinary plastic cup this, a very large (poster size) colour photograph of Allan Moffat in the XY just heading Peter Brock in the XU-1. I'm very pleased.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 15:43 (Ref:104799)   #15
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by lajolla92037

Only Gerald will get this one ( I checked your prrofile).....have an autographed pic of Clifton Chenier!

Oh, you'ld be surprised how many Cajun/Zydeco fans are lurking about. I used to attend the Cajun festival in Lafayette every year. Lassiez les bon temp roullez!

Welcome lajolla, I am looking forward to hearing more of you obviously extensive history in motorsports.

Welcome also to the several new posters here. Glad to see the Historic Forum getting some attention from people with experiences to share.

Most of my memorabilia is memories, but Gerard, the next time I'm in Netherlands, I want to visit your place. You have some treasures.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2841313)   #16
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Anyone remember Jochen Mass' huge Sauber/Mercedes shunt at Clearways during the Brands Hatch sportscar race - 1988 (?) I think . A little, dark blue NACA duct fluttered to earth just in front of me ; after the race, no-one seemed to want it and I've still got it.....
Old 24 Oct 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3157200)   #17
nivola1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Banbury, Oxfordshire
nivola1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great thread, mine is a williams nose cone from the 1983 fw08c, looking at the decals it finished 5th at the detriot gp that year driven by Jaques laffite. incidently the same car gave senna one of his first taste' of f1 just a month earlier. How i wish it could be my nose cone!! another is a cosworth dfv spark plug from 1981, I bought it when I was just 12 years old..it's very special to me.
Old 25 Oct 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3157388)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A friend of mine has a fabulous piece, he is a Brisca stock car fan and his first meeting was in the 60's.

He was watching the late great Stu Smith who at the time was driving a car with white wall tyres. While watching he was hot by a piece of this white wall tyre after a puncture.

You can guess the rest, he still has it in a glass and you can still tell it was white walled!!

My fave is my Dimi Mavropolous window sticker that I boiled off my 82 Mini when I scrapped it!
Old 25 Oct 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3157459)   #19
Darcia1
Rookie

Australia
melbourne Australia
Darcia1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great thread....
My personal favorites
I have a driving suit that was used in the ford durability trial in 1965 ..
the other is a rim off Jason brights pirtek Falcon when he won bathurst w steve Richards...back in 97
Old 25 Oct 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3157503)   #20
Richard Jones
Rookie

United Kingdom
Brighton
Richard Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
April 1974 Programme from Silverstone 'Daily Express International Trophy', signed by Denis Hulme, James Hunt, Ronnie Peterson,Jean-Pierre Jarier,Peter Gethin & Francois Miguet. I was only 6 years old but my dad assures me I got the programme signed and not him !
Old 25 Oct 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3157573)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
A friend of mine has a fabulous piece, he is a Brisca stock car fan and his first meeting was in the 60's.

He was watching the late great Stu Smith who at the time was driving a car with white wall tyres. While watching he was hot by a piece of this white wall tyre after a puncture.

You can guess the rest, he still has it in a glass and you can still tell it was white walled!!
Takes me back. I studied in Manchester back in '83/84 and was introduced to the delights (and I do mean that) of Brisca by a course colleague. I was living quite close to Belle Vue and went to watch 3-4 meetings. Loved every minute of it. Sadly, possibly the only thing I loved about Manchester......
Old 25 Oct 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3157654)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bet you didnt know then Ayes that there is still a Belle Vue stadium! Not far from Hyde Road!

The original is a car auction site now, no fair, no zoo!! Awesome track though I never went there, before my time.

Stadium now is dog and speedway track, is still used for stock cars, the promoter (how I loath btw) has all the bank holiday Monday fixtures somehow!
Old 25 Oct 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3157699)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I loved Brisca, but of course it seemed to be largely a 'northern' phenomenon. I even bought some Brisca DVDs off eBay. Just something very exciting about it. Probably has something to do with the flying shale (or whatever it was) that actually came through the fence and knocked the beer out of my hand one night there......
Old 26 Oct 2012, 06:34 (Ref:3157835)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It used to be a Northern sport, but now its largely Midlands based, a lot of drivers still from up North though, but not that many tracks, only Belle Vue and SHeffield.
Tracks now in Northampton, Birmingham, Kings Lynn, Coventry Skegness, Ipswich.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 03:53 (Ref:3158769)   #25
Livery
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver Canada
Livery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being from Vancouver, I went to the Vancouver Molson Indy each and every year. I have a number of Greg Moore autographs framed, a team pit crew shirt from American Spirit Team Johansson...supper cool!!! and a Motorola Andretti pit crew shirt...and a binder signed by a number of great and not so great drivers...sorry on my blog http://racingtocollect.blogspot.ca/2...eet-greet.html