Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 6 Apr 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1572150)   #1
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Team GB and Arden to part ways!

Article on Autosport saying that Surtees has been disappointed with Arden and implying that they didn't give A1 priority.

Naturally Arden say that they did a good job, the car was on the pace (yeh, right) and that they'll be back next year.

Old 6 Apr 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1572175)   #2
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
Article on Autosport saying that Surtees has been disappointed with Arden and implying that they didn't give A1 priority.

Naturally Arden say that they did a good job, the car was on the pace (yeh, right) and that they'll be back next year.

I did hear that Arden had shipped in a truck load of Rose Tinted glasses, just for the A1gp season. (looks like they worked)
Old 6 Apr 2006, 11:55 (Ref:1572183)   #3
Kebab
Racer

It also says they're going to make their own team for next year by cherry-picking people. That's a bit risky?!
Old 6 Apr 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1572213)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Arden did do a good job this season, they were the best non Dams team. Remember that Dams had 4 franchsises this season and therefore had vastly more data available to them than anyone else, even more than some of the teams that opted to share certain selected bits of information.

Surtees is making a big mistake IMO, if he really thinks that he can put together a better team than Arden, personally I think hes very, very wrong.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1572237)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure about that, simply because, as Surtees is saying, I don't know where A1GP featured in Arden's list of priorities. Same with ASM and Team Brazil. Given their success in EuroF3 and in GP2 as ART, you would think they would have been dominant. It started that way, but after a while I didn't see much evidence of Frédéric Vasseur around.

There are enough talented people in British motorsport for Surtees to build up a good team that would make A1GP their top priority.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1572251)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure there are enough, but whether or not they would all gell together and whether or not they would be as good a standard than the guys at Arden is deabtable. IMO.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1572278)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Sure, it's debatable, but Surtees is presumably looking at it as an insider, which we are not, so he must have his reasons for the decision. It's not a point I would argue very strongly either way, to be honest.

It's just that the impression I have from the season just ended is that Team GBR was not a happy one, for whatever reason. And it goes deeper than not getting the results they expected.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1572315)   #8
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surtees and crew will have allready sorted out a team for the new season, they are obviously just drip feeding the press information.
there is no way you would leave a race team without having a new one, its not like they have loads of time to hand pick engineers.

Arden did make a few school boy errors and with engineers popping between series and race meets. it did look a bit like a hobby. IMO i dont think Arden put the same effort in A1GP as they have done in the past with other series.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1572361)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit to being a bit surprised that Arden have been removed from the A1GP. However, I would imagine that John Surtees is keen for the team to move forward and that having a team which is focused on A1GP may be a way of achieving it.To speculate, a possibility may be that perhaps a team will be formed to run the British and Canadian cars which would give them the benefit of multiple cars that worked for DAMS and may be feasible given that Surtees is a consultantant to the Canadian franchise and arranged Sean McIntosh's World Series by Renault seat.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1572427)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Arden didn't do a great deal wrong, bar the occasional ridiculous strategy call.

How quick the car is is as much down to the driver as the engineers. It's a two way thing.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1572500)   #11
Kebab
Racer

In my opinion Surtees wouldn't be saying stuff like this lightly, there must be some truth to it. He'll know a lot of things we don't.

Darren didn't do any better (some would say worse) than Kerr despite being their choice. I think its all too easy for Arden to blame the driver/s for the lack of speed.

Look at what happened to South Africa when they had an ex-F1 engineer for a weekend. These cars obviously require some genuine skill/knowledge to setup. With all due respect to their driver, they overtook both Darren and Kerr this year ... there's no way that should happen if the cars were equal.

Sharing of info between Canada and GB would certainly make sense.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1573231)   #12
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if Arden do get the drop, that leaves a nice gap which I, with my Motorsport engineering degree, would love to fill lol
Old 8 Apr 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1574009)   #13
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Surtees is a fair sort of guy and non of us know what went on inside the team. I think it would be good for the team if they can build something themselves rather than relying on another organistion. rumour has it that Arden were spread a little thin with all the iorns in their fire. However third is a great achivement and a good job by all invoved . Robbie deserves a little more congtulation than he is getting, he has done a great job.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1577545)   #14
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now Surtees knows what is required of a team over a season I don't see any reason why he isn't capable of picking the right guys for the job, and his way is probably cheaper overall than whatever Arden were asking.

It seems like A1 teams don't need a large number of bodies, just a handful of talented guys with an even better engineer.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 18:58 (Ref:1578756)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
It also says they're going to make their own team for next year by cherry-picking people. That's a bit risky?!
Interestingly, team Malaysia are doing just that and they seemed to be better in setups than the other established ran team
Old 11 Apr 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1578914)   #16
Kebab
Racer

That is interesting Jukebox, perhaps these cars fly in the face of any F3000 convention? Meaning established ex-F3000 teams bark up the wrong tree?!

Just a thought ...
Old 11 Apr 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1579033)   #17
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't compare a team that is contracted to do a job between a team having staff members wanting to be a part of the team.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 14:37 (Ref:1582241)   #18
Kebab
Racer

A slightly more politically correct press release about this ...

http://www.a1gp.com/news/index.php?f...d=1&newsid=276
Old 20 Apr 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1589449)   #19
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukebox
You can't compare a team that is contracted to do a job between a team having staff members wanting to be a part of the team.
But the black art set-up is still what they need right? So more hours pouring over data is not certain to lead to better results.

Last edited by WebberForWDC; 20 Apr 2006 at 08:17.