Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 26 Jul 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2508441)   #1
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roger Williamson - 36 Years ago this Wednesday July 29th.

The years just roll on by. It doesn't seem that long ago that we stood on the start line at Mallory, and wondered what the day would bring, me worrying about the darkening skies, and thinking about wets or drys...you in a fit of giggles saying "If it rains, it rains", why worry? Now, its been 36 years since you left us. I'll be there Wednesday night Rog, as usual matey.
Gerry
Old 28 Jul 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2509844)   #2
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was only 6 when Roger left us, but by reading everything possible and speaking to Tom at length a couple of times, I gained a much better insight as to what those closer to him, and the country as a whole missed out on with his passing.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2509940)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Although I wasn't at Zandvoort I saw the footage afterwards and still shudder at the thought of seeing someone literary burn to death in front of you !
I have been spectating and participating in motorsport for years and actually witnessed a crash in front of me where the guy was killed. Although that was bad I don't think anything is as terrible as not being able to escape from an inferno.
It was a great loss as he had a certain future in F1.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Sep 2009, 17:33 (Ref:2546127)   #4
ianric
Rookie

ianric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on nodding terms with Roger. He was in Formula 3 when I was in Special Saloons, Forward Trust Championship, so we were at the same meetings. He was a great driver and a warm human being and very sadly missed.

Ian
Old 25 Sep 2009, 23:50 (Ref:2548374)   #5
Shawn
Racer

England
East Sussex
Shawn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Likewise I was very young on the day of the accident but will always remember seeing the footage on TV. Remember also David Purley who tried in vein to save his life for which he was awared the George Medal.

I recently look my first visit to the Donington Collection, where there's an excellent tribute to Roger.
It's certainly something I wasn't expecting as I never realised Tom Wheatcroft held him in in such high regard and gave much support.
As well as the various cars Roger raced there's also lot's of photo's and other memorabilia to keep memories alive for years to come.

Old 31 Jul 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2736682)   #6
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
37 years on. Still remembered by many in Holland.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2736705)   #7
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap View Post
37 years on. Still remembered by many in Holland.
God bless. A terrible tragedy and waste of a young life. On reflection it is unbelievable how inadequate safety precautions and fire marshall provision was in those days. Respect to all those who raced. Also thoughts for Davd Purley who fought so bravely to save a life.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2738698)   #8
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roger Williamson

Nice to read that others recall him. RIP my old friend.