Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Jan 2016, 17:57 (Ref:3605389)   #251
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Still so much cool GT300 news to come too!

I've been asked loads over the last three days about Super GT coverage in 2016. No news on it all. GTA fully intends and expects that there will be English coverage (hence the Ronnie promo) as do I, as for details. Nothing yet.

We may not know until after the pre season tests.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 18:35 (Ref:3605404)   #252
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope there will be. Loved my first season of Super GT
Old 16 Jan 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3605428)   #253
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Moving to a GT3-based setup should also actually lower the costs of competing in the top class, something which adopting DTM regs has failed to do. The cars should still be faster than LMP2 because of the open tyre development, and I imagine JAF will make sure the engines produce 600+hp (i.e. more than the Gibson 4L V8 will make).
Old 16 Jan 2016, 21:16 (Ref:3605437)   #254
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
GT3's would be very fast if they were ran unrestricted and weighed a lot less. Turning them into pure racecars without the restricting bop could be done. But like what was said earlier in this thread, aligning with future GTE would be great. Maybe to differentiate from purely GTE, they could allow lower weight and some more aero freedom, plus their tire competition? Should be interesting to see. That LM connection is a big positive if they decide that route.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 21:46 (Ref:3605448)   #255
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
About the Le Mans link, the ACO could still decide to deny any potential SGT entrant because reasons (all the interest has come from JAF, hardly anything has been reciprocated) so I wouldn't count on the doors flinging open with a move to GTE/3-esque cars. But it would remove the biggest obstacle to a competitive or guest entry, hopefully Andrew or Sam can ask Pierre Fillon to comment on this.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3605452)   #256
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I have a hard time fathoming the ACO denying a factory entry from Honda Nissan or Toyota. ELMS teams go to LM with their eligible cars, so as long as the car's meet the regs they should be good to go, right? But I guess it would be a problem if their (gt500) cars were running more aero, lighter weight or something. They'd definitely have to drop that. The tires are free, though. So it'd be cool to see how the Super GT tires do at LM.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 22:34 (Ref:3605459)   #257
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
When the factories involved can already enter through LMP1 (as Toyota are demonstrating) or GTE then the ACO could point in those direction, as they would be the preferred routes. As long as there are at least as many factories in LMP1 as there are podium places there isn't a pressing need to entice more by any means necessary if they can be cajoled into playing by the ACO's rules. This could change if someone pulls out, but with the scaling down of the VAG efforts seemingly to ensure a long-term commitment that looks unlikely in the near future.

The Nissan debacle may also have put the ACO off allowing manufacturers-as-guests on the condition of fielding a "proper" effort later on, or just put them off factories in G56 at all. While I agree that it would be unlikely to see the ACO turn down a factory in any capacity, we've seen LMP2 gutted for the sake of Hugh's wallet so nothing is out of the question.

The tyres would be the most fascinating part of a potential SGT entry and I would love to see a free choice carry over as well.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3605469)   #258
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
GT3's would be very fast if they were ran unrestricted and weighed a lot less. Turning them into pure racecars without the restricting bop could be done. But like what was said earlier in this thread, aligning with future GTE would be great. Maybe to differentiate from purely GTE, they could allow lower weight and some more aero freedom, plus their tire competition? Should be interesting to see. That LM connection is a big positive if they decide that route.

If the ACO really want to put GTE in LMP2 pace surely the weight must be near 1100 kg, they could allow more aero freedom and the power must be near 750 HP too.
The LM connection would be fantastic. Corvette, Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, BMW (only in America), TVR (in the future) and now Honda, Lexus and Nissan.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 23:13 (Ref:3605480)   #259
bckf
Rookie

bckf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have a hard time fathoming the ACO denying a factory entry from Honda Nissan or Toyota. ELMS teams go to LM with their eligible cars, so as long as the car's meet the regs they should be good to go, right? But I guess it would be a problem if their (gt500) cars were running more aero, lighter weight or something. They'd definitely have to drop that. The tires are free, though. So it'd be cool to see how the Super GT tires do at LM.
Yeah, as long as the cars meet the regs. Which I don't see likely at all.
I expect GT500 to keep its nature of a class for prototypes in disguise anyway, even with possibly GT3-based regulations, hence maintaining very low minimum weights, extreme aerodynamics and easy waivers for yet another HSV-010 or NSX CONCEPT-GT. They might even want to keep the current 2.0 turbo engines. Nothing like real GT3 cars.
Unless JAF really want to settle for much less than what GT500 teams are running now, but considering how good it works, I'd rule it out.
On the other hand, GT3 still is a true GT regulation, at least in spirit, even if it looks a bit out of control now. Pretty much the same for what concerns GTE.

Anyway, in my opinion, if the Japanese have learned anything from the DTM chassis experience, is to think twice before accepting compromises in the name of their "challenge to the world". I don't think it was nice to be ignored the way DTM did and the same thing could happen with the ACO.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 23:21 (Ref:3605485)   #260
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
If GT500 does move to souped-up GT3 cars I hope it includes allowances for massive aero upgrades so we can once again have the beauties we got before the regulation merger. The old-rules NSX is still, to me, the best looking "GT" car ever built.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 00:49 (Ref:3605496)   #261
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While going for a souped-up GT3-based cars for GT500 class, let's not forget about what happened to the 2012 FIA GT1 Championship.

Since GTE is becoming like GT1 in spirit, JAF/GTA should go to that route but with less weight and more aero. Wait, I remember that they want to reduce their reliance on aero.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3605498)   #262
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
While going for a souped-up GT3-based cars for GT500 class, let's not forget about what happened to the 2012 FIA GT1 Championship.

Since GTE is becoming like GT1 in spirit, JAF/GTA should go to that route but with less weight and more aero. Wait, I remember that they want to reduce their reliance on aero.
Well, 2 of the 3 manufacturers involved in GT500 already have a GT3, with Honda supposedly not too far away from introducing a GT3-spec NSX as well. That alone should make GT3 a much more likely base than GTE.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 01:02 (Ref:3605499)   #263
TF110
Veteran

United States
Well they do have those very grippy tires. If they don't go back to 2013 style cars, or GTE, these one's from 2007 were very good looking.

Old 17 Jan 2016, 01:15 (Ref:3605501)   #264
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Well, 2 of the 3 manufacturers involved in GT500 already have a GT3, with Honda supposedly not too far away from introducing a GT3-spec NSX as well. That alone should make GT3 a much more likely base than GTE.
Well it's true that 2 of the Big 3 Japanese Manufacturers already have GT3 cars, but what I want is that the likes of Nissan and Lexus would make their cars significantly different from GT3 cars. More horsepower and less weight, plus extreme aero that the JAF/GTA could allow.

Also, the reason why I want GT500 class to be based on GTE so that Bandoh-san's dream on putting his cars onto Le Mans would be a reality!
Old 17 Jan 2016, 01:33 (Ref:3605503)   #265
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
OFF-TOPIC:
Found some news at the Super GT reddit in regards to the SRO/GTA collaboration. Let's hope that GT300 cars can race at the 12 Hours of Sepang since GT3 will allow hybrid drivetrains in the future.

http://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/n...-12-hours-2016
at least match the topic than inquiry for what Japanese article talking about which is oversea races or what is the advantage on using National homologated parts.

BTT,there are 4-5 teams in GT300 active in various asian championships which are much possible to join the field after this change.Referring to JAF GT300 car there are 'G3' class for National GT3 vehicle (i.e. Maserati GranTurismo). Would like to see whether JAF cars match it in case it isn't an actual GT3 models.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 09:07 (Ref:3605591)   #266
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The tires are free, though. So it'd be cool to see how the Super GT tires do at LM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
The tyres would be the most fascinating part of a potential SGT entry and I would love to see a free choice carry over as well.
"Super GT tires", as they are, simply wouldn't be ran on LM. I don't remember how long the stints on GT500 are(35 or 40min?) but it's tires are surely much softer and totally different compounds would be required for quadruple stinting(each LM stint being ~50min)

If SGT ran at LM, my bet would be on everybody running on Michelins as has been the case on LMP1/GTs for years. The reason for it is simple: Dunlop, Yokohama and Bridgestone could have shown up at WEC any time, it has always been open and free, so why haven't they?!
Old 17 Jan 2016, 10:17 (Ref:3605604)   #267
MagVanisher
Veteran

@Artur
You know, if Super GT held a 24-hour race like taking over the Tokachi 24 Hours, I bet that Dunlop, Yokohama, and Bridgestone would improve their tires' longevity when racing in longer stints. Yet, JAF/GTA didn't do such things previously!

In any case, Dunlop is there to supply some teams in ELMS and WEC, while Bridgestone and Yokohama are planning to supply theirs in the future.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3605612)   #268
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
"Super GT tires", as they are, simply wouldn't be ran on LM. I don't remember how long the stints on GT500 are(35 or 40min?) but it's tires are surely much softer and totally different compounds would be required for quadruple stinting(each LM stint being ~50min)

If SGT ran at LM, my bet would be on everybody running on Michelins as has been the case on LMP1/GTs for years. The reason for it is simple: Dunlop, Yokohama and Bridgestone could have shown up at WEC any time, it has always been open and free, so why haven't they?!
Don't forget that GT500 cars are running more power and weight, but are also bigger cars(close in dimensions to the roadgoing counterparts while LMP2 is limited to a 2-meter width), all of which effects the tire wear. If you put straight P2 tires on a GT500 car unmodified they WILL wear faster than on the P2.

But if you lowered the weight and power on the GT500 closer to that of the P2, and I'd bet even the SGT tires would last close to the same length of stint as the P2 tires.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 11:52 (Ref:3605622)   #269
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
I have not checked out the latest issue Autosport magazine. (I'll buy it tomorrow)
There seems to be an article that Honda might remove hybrid system from NSX-GT500.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 13:01 (Ref:3605638)   #270
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Iwasaki company sells its GTR GT3 by Yahoo Auction.
http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/l336150154
Old 17 Jan 2016, 13:09 (Ref:3605639)   #271
AkioAsakura95
Veteran

AkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAkioAsakura95 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
I have not checked out the latest issue Autosport magazine. (I'll buy it tomorrow)
There seems to be an article that Honda might remove hybrid system from NSX-GT500.
@Japanese Samurai

After you buy that latest Autosport Magazine, you share the thought for the latest topic through the latest Autosport Magazine which you buy tomorrow.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3605652)   #272
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post

In addition to FormulaFox's comments, I'm sure that if a GT500 team got an invite to Le Mans their tyre maker would be more than willing to develop custom tyres at the behest of the team/ACO should it be deemed necessary.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 22:07 (Ref:3605734)   #273
TF110
Veteran

United States
There's a couple instances where teams have tried double stinting the tires in gt500 the past couple seasons. The Petronas team at Buriram comes to mind. These tires aren't made for that though. But I bet Bridgestone could make a tire that did. LM isn't tough on tires anyway with it's long straights.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3605756)   #274
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
You all know LMP1s single stint tires at Fuji, right? There's no way they'd be able to double stint if they raced at Suzuka in the middle of August either.

40 minute stints? What do you think these are, F1 cars? Most of the races are 300km, which takes the better part of 110 minutes for these cars on one stop. Obviously they don't all stop at exactly halfway either.

They would need to make a special Le Mans tire to optimize performance but that applies to every track really. They're certainly very capable of beating Michelin in Super GT.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 06:40 (Ref:3605808)   #275
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In any case, Dunlop is there to supply some teams in ELMS and WEC, while Bridgestone and Yokohama are planning to supply theirs in the future.
Dunlop brand is controlled by Sumitomo in Japan. Elsewhere, it belongs to GoodYear. So, in essence, no Japanese tire company supplies in LM for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Don't forget that GT500 cars are running more power and weight, but are also bigger cars(close in dimensions to the roadgoing counterparts while LMP2 is limited to a 2-meter width), all of which effects the tire wear. If you put straight P2 tires on a GT500 car unmodified they WILL wear faster than on the P2.

But if you lowered the weight and power on the GT500 closer to that of the P2, and I'd bet even the SGT tires would last close to the same length of stint as the P2 tires.
Well, with LMP1s I'm pretty sure it's the contrary. They corner much faster than GT500 on high speed corners and that's where tire wear is most affected.

Sure, more weight increases tire wear but that's because the load on the tires is bigger. LMP1 cars, albeit ~150kg lighter, very likely have more downforce(contrary to DTMs) than SGTs, so the total load is likely quite bigger.

What is for sure is that LMP1 cars corner with much higher Gs on corners like Fuji's Coca Cola and 100R and that means much more energy through the tires and that's what most affect wear.

LMP2 cars are relatively close to the LMP1's cornering performances, so don't count so surely on them being more gentle with their tires than GT500s

LMGT cars are over 200kg heavier than GT500s but I still don't doubt that they are more kind on their tires than LMPs due to their much lower cornering speeds, G-forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
You all know LMP1s single stint tires at Fuji, right? There's no way they'd be able to double stint if they raced at Suzuka in the middle of August either.

40 minute stints? What do you think these are, F1 cars? Most of the races are 300km, which takes the better part of 110 minutes for these cars on one stop. Obviously they don't all stop at exactly halfway either.

They would need to make a special Le Mans tire to optimize performance but that applies to every track really. They're certainly very capable of beating Michelin in Super GT.
In 2015 it rained, for most part, of the Fuji's 6h, so I'll look into 2014. Audi #1 and Porsche #14 double stinted(once), as well as some LMP2 cars.

In the begining of #1's first stint(first of the double, not first of the race), it was lapping on a best of 1.29.1 and it's last lap(of the double stint) was 1.30.8

The LM tires are capable of lasting over 700km, so SGT tires, capable of ~150km, are a far cry from that.

You mention Suzuka, don't forget LMP1 cars(at least Audi) constantly double stints(300km) on Silverstone and Spa and, even though it's on cold weather, these tracks features lot's of fast corners(F1, in Silverstone 2013, with it's tires exploding fest is a good show of that)

Finally, Bridgestone offers their tyres for free on GT500 and the few teams running on Dunlops/Yokohama only do so because they are paid by those tire companies.

There is no ridiculous, gimmicky WH on WEC, so inferior tyres won't be able to have their glory run when the Michelin/Bridgestone cars are all handicapped, as happens on SGT.

Have any car ever won any championship on GT500 with a tire that isn't Bridgestone and Michelin? AFAIR, in the last 5 years, a Michelin car won the tittle 4 times and the other one was by Bridgestone. And the fight is always between them, isn't it?

When you look into the tire companies capabilities, through R&D, Bridgestone and Michelin invests double of the third one(GoodYear) and 3 times more than the likes of Conti, Pirelli, Hankook, Sumitomo, Yokohama

I really hope Bridgestone would spice up the fight on WEC and that's the only manufacturer on the same tier of Michelin, so, I personally doubt any other will ever take up the fight(well, maybe GoodYear, through Dunlop, could be bold enough. I would like that )

Sorry for the very long post