Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Dec 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3786475)   #46
rkshanahan
Rookie

rkshanahan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SCA update

It has been years since I last posted about my SCA engine projects, so I thought it was time for an update in case anyone was interested.

Since my last post I have completed 3 of the 5 engines I bought, plus bought another one. I have completed one carbureted SCA and two injected SCAs. The carbureted engine and one of the injected engines went with my old Lola T60 which I sold to Robs Lamplough in the UK about 5 years ago. The remaining injected SCA is going in my current Lola T60 which I plan to sort out and then ship to the UK this winter. I still have the one SCC engine and the partially assembled SCB, plus the injected SCA I bought recently. The problem with the SCC and SCB is that I realized they are much less desirable than an SCA. The only real market for these engines is in Europe, particularly the UK, and for that they have to be 1000 cc. I was going to build the SCB for use here in the US where it would be legal (it would have to run against TwinCam-powered cars), but I have never kept a car here in the US long enough to make an SCB of any use. I had inquiries from Australia for both the SCC and SCB, but both of those deals fizzled out, so here they sit.

The Lucas injection really made the engines come alive. The two injected engines I built both put out a little under 140 hp @9500 rpm on the engine dyno. This is slightly less than Cosworth claimed for their ultimate 1966 engine (142 bhp @ 11,200), but I have used relatively mild cams that give a very broad torque band and the result has been a very drivable engine. I have attached a photo of the first injected SCA I built plus the dyno results for it. Note that there is not a lot of torque, but the curve is almost flat from 6000 rpm to 9500 rpm, which is a very useful rev range.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Injected SCA.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: doc SCA dyno chart.doc (49.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 24 Dec 2017, 03:59 (Ref:3788941)   #47
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rick,

Congratulatios on these projects.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3796601)   #48
AnnecyRacer
Rookie

AnnecyRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any more news on the SCA engines please. Not much written about these jewels and as such am interested in reading whatever's out there. Have an ambition to put an engine together as I slowly, very slowly collect parts. Managed to procure three Cosworth con rods with used pistons along with four unused Holbay rods and pistons recently. Have a block too but that's about it. A long way to go....
Are there any eng. drawings available, might need to make or have parts made such as gears etc.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3801049)   #49
rkshanahan
Rookie

SCA parts

Hi AnnecyRacer,

The best source for parts is going to be Geoff Richardson Engineering. They make all the parts for the SCA including the cylinder head casting. Modatek in the UK is the official parts supplier for historic Cosworth engines, and many of the parts are available through them. As to drawings, I have seen copies of the original drawings for a couple of the parts on the internet, but only for a couple of random "bits and bobs".

As to used parts, a friend of mine bought a bare SCA head casting off of Ebay a couple of years ago, but something like that would be a really rare occurrence. Check out Len Selby's historic racing parts website, where I have bought some good used parts. Be careful about identifying the parts, as Len can't be an expert on everything and he therefore has to rely on the sellers descriptions. Len provides good photos of the parts so you can look them over carefully before you buy.

You can also check the 1-litre Formula Two Facebook page. They have a parts for sale section, and I have some crankshafts, flywheels, etc. advertised there.

Good luck!

Rob
Old 26 Feb 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3804043)   #50
AnnecyRacer
Rookie

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll take your advice and will look up the F2 website link. Thanks.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 15:55 (Ref:3804098)   #51
rkshanahan
Rookie

Article about SCA

Hi AnnecyRacer,

I wrote a series of articles for the 1-Litre Formula 2 magazine a while back. I have attached a PDF of the first article in case it is of interest to you. There were four in total, but the other three were more esoteric details about rebuilding and not as interesting as the first. I don't have pdfs of the other 3 articles.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCA article 1.pdf (1.75 MB, 17 views)
Old 27 Feb 2018, 23:49 (Ref:3804434)   #52
CanadianRP33
Rookie

Canada
Canada
CanadianRP33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucas Lutronic ignition

Great information on a very interesting engine. I wonder if someone can give me some information on a Lucas Distributor and amplifier box I recently acquired.
The distributor and box looks the ones previously shown in this thread. The distributor is a 41121 A unit with a date code of 5-66, the amplifier has no stamped in numbers or date codes; unusual for a Lucas component, and has LUCAS ENGLAND and LUTRONIC IGNITION cast into the housing just below the row of wiring connection terminals.
Any idea if these were SCA and related engines only or perhaps used on Lotus twin cams as well , perhaps Lotus 47 for example. They seem to be a fairly rare unit, and I can find no information on the net other than this thread.

Greg
Old 28 Feb 2018, 06:21 (Ref:3804472)   #53
rkshanahan
Rookie

Lucas ignition box

Hi Greg,

I would have to see a photo, but it sounds like you have the ignition system that Lucas used for the F2 and F3 engines in 1966. I am guessing that they figured they needed it to rev these engines at 10k rpm. I had one of these which I installed on my Lola F2 car which I sold a couple of years back. I am not aware that they used it with Twincams, and my Lotus 47 did not have one. They are pretty rare, I think because they were unreliable and were discarded when better equipment became available.

I would be interested in buying yours to put on my current F2 car as a dummy just for cosmetics. If you need SCA engine parts we could arrange a trade. Let me know.

Regards,

Rob
Old 28 Feb 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3804624)   #54
CanadianRP33
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Hi Rob, thanks for your quick reply. Yes I get the impression that my distributor is a unit that was removed many years ago and has been gathering dust for a long time. Early electronic units have a dismal record of reliability.
Unfortunately I have no need for SCA parts. While they are of great technical interest anything more exotic than Formula Ford is beyond my limited means.
I will post some photos.

Greg
Old 28 Feb 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3804692)   #55
AnnecyRacer
Rookie

Hi Rob, great article and thanks for posting here. The more one discovers the more there appears to be learned about these little engines. I have a nice stock of Ford Kent parts, probably enough to assemble something like ten or so racing engines of a combination of pre and cross-flow arrangement and it was due to have these parts around that got me interested in the first place but as others have posted, SCA parts are out of my price bracket at the moment so all I can do is dream.
Any chance of someone having photocopies of parts 2,3 and 4 of your article? Regards, Chris
Old 1 Mar 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3805006)   #56
CanadianRP33
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Cosworth SCA

Here are some photos of my distributor and electronic box. If you have any Hewland mk 9 parts I would definitely be interested in a trade. I also need quite a few Lola T540 parts.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_9100.JPG   DSC_9101.JPG   DSC_9104.JPG  

DSC_9102.JPG   DSC_9105.JPG  
Old 1 Mar 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3805007)   #57
CanadianRP33
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Lucas Lutronic ignition

Sorry, missed one photo.