Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 27 May 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2886926)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIAT to up ownership of the Chrysler group to 57%

I wonder if they might go for complete ownership?
Old 29 May 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2887419)   #2
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm one mediocre manufacturer ups ownership of another mediocre manufacturer
Old 1 Jun 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2889419)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Even though I own a Chrysler product, I would call them subpar not mediocre. I'm interested to see how the 500 sells here too. Who will be the first to jump in? Not me.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 01:41 (Ref:2890312)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Even though I own a Chrysler product, I would call them subpar not mediocre. I'm interested to see how the 500 sells here too. Who will be the first to jump in? Not me.
I guess they are bringing the Abarth 500 over next year and that might be a cool little car.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2907438)   #5
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I guess they are bringing the Abarth 500 over next year and that might be a cool little car.
Yes, it appears to be a neat car. I'm reviving this thread because i saw a 500 yesterday on I-85. In the fast lane too... didn't look out of place at all. I like it!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 02:15 (Ref:2907707)   #6
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Yes, it appears to be a neat car. I'm reviving this thread because i saw a 500 yesterday on I-85. In the fast lane too... didn't look out of place at all. I like it!
What? That would look cute on the front bumper of a W900 80,000 pound fully loaded Kenworth cruisin down I-75 downtown at rush hour.

Old 5 Jan 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3007920)   #7
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fiat now has a 58.5% stake in Chrysler.

So now all they need to do is get the last 41.5% from the UAW and then I guess we have Fiat-Chrysler.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3007945)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They were disappointed with the sales of the Fiat 500 for the first year, only 20,000 and they wanted to sell 50,000.

However, with Fiat being a new brand in the USA(not counting their previous efforts decades ago) and only having one model to sell so far, I think 20,000 is a respectable number for such a new brand and small car.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 00:04 (Ref:3007956)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I feel sorry for the continental European market, who later this year will see the new 300C badged as a Lancia Thema.

At least in the UK we're getting it as a Chrysler ... which is what it is. And by all accounts it's billed by the motoring press as a huge improvement on the old one.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 01:52 (Ref:3007990)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I feel sorry for the continental European market, who later this year will see the new 300C badged as a Lancia Thema.

At least in the UK we're getting it as a Chrysler ... which is what it is. And by all accounts it's billed by the motoring press as a huge improvement on the old one.
That's what they say, but I haven't driven one yet and I am dubious as to whether it's really that good.

The last model didn't do anything for me. For as big as it was, interior room wasn't that great, interior trim was cheap, it had the engine of a canal boat in it and didn't handle all that great.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3008159)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They say the trim is a big improvement - it'll have to be to compete in Europe. We also get the advantage of European diesel engines instead of the canal barge unit. For us, I believe the choice will be V6 diesel or SRT8.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3008934)   #12
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
To be honest I think Fiat should of used the Punto to enter the US market rather then the 500 to go against the Ford Fiesta. Plus I still think they need to flesh out Chrysler's range of cars by merging it with Lancia's range. I think they would complement each other.

I just hope Fiat isn't going to turn around and leave because one car is not selling as much as they wanted it to.

Meanwhile here's Abarth's US website for the 500.
Old 8 Jan 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3008961)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They say the trim is a big improvement - it'll have to be to compete in Europe. We also get the advantage of European diesel engines instead of the canal barge unit. For us, I believe the choice will be V6 diesel or SRT8.
I've had a few 300c. Everything written here is true. Cheap interior, but big. I liked them, in the UK market, they were different. A good towing car too! Not a patch on the E-Class on which it was based. This was exaggerated by being the older generation, smaller inside and the general cheapness. Still it often made me smile for being different.
Old 9 Jan 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3009356)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Lancia and Chrysler, it's like beauty and the beast (altough I admit I don't know who's the beauty of these two in recent years )
Old 9 Jan 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3009381)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...300c_srt8.html
The current one, albeit the hemi, makes people smile too. I had the diesel BTW.
Old 9 Jan 2012, 15:12 (Ref:3009383)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The current one, albeit the hemi, makes people smile too. I had the diesel BTW.
Ah, Hemi . . . the magic word!

2,700 miles in a Hemi Challenger certainly made me smile! (See avatar!)
Old 9 Jan 2012, 19:01 (Ref:3009470)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I presume you weren't buying the fuel in the UK then!

Sounds fun, where and when? Or are you still adding to the 2,700?
Old 9 Jan 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3009476)   #18
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I presume you weren't buying the fuel in the UK then!

Sounds fun, where and when? Or are you still adding to the 2,700?
No, we weren't buying fuel in the UK! It was in Texas at the end of October/early November last year.

It was surprising how big a variation there was in fuel prices from one part of the state to another, from $3.15/gal in El Paso to $3.95 in Fort Davis - still cheaper in cost/mile than our DS3 in the UK, though.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3009899)   #19
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
They were disappointed with the sales of the Fiat 500 for the first year, only 20,000 and they wanted to sell 50,000.

However, with Fiat being a new brand in the USA(not counting their previous efforts decades ago) and only having one model to sell so far, I think 20,000 is a respectable number for such a new brand and small car.
Hopefully sales increase some... That's a lot of money for very little car though. Dealers will have to struggle through next year before Alfa returns in 2013.

Quote:
I drove a rental one a few weeks ago. The interior on most new Chrysler products is a huge improvement... the biggest reason I bought my Ram. The new Pentastar V6 felt strong and has been highly touted in the press. All of the Gen II Hemis are fantastic. I just wish they had something smaller to put them in.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3105992)   #20
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Looks like Fiat are raising their stake to 61.8%.

Half way there.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3106117)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
I read an article in R&T this morning that Alfa are to produce a convertible sports car built off the new MX-5 chassis. It is said to be mostly Mazda architecture with Alfa engines and styling. That sounds pretty damn appealing to me.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3106125)   #22
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
If you consider that Mazda could have access to both the Fiat and Chrysler part bins then I think Mazda could be in an interesting position right now.

And if the new company that comes out the merger decides to buy Mazda like Ford did a few years ago, then VW will have a rival to look out for.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3106147)   #23
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
If you consider that Mazda could have access to both the Fiat and Chrysler part bins then I think Mazda could be in an interesting position right now.

And if the new company that comes out the merger decides to buy Mazda like Ford did a few years ago, then VW will have a rival to look out for.
Maybe if the FIAT group stops producing utter rubbish
Old 13 Aug 2012, 17:54 (Ref:3119430)   #24
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
How to haggle with $6 Billion for the last 38.2% of Chrysler.

From the sounds of things it looks like it will happen but when and for how much is the question.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3119857)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it only fair to say that I am still impressed with my Grand Cherokee, even though it is five years old now. Comparing it to the competition, I need to pay at least another £20k just to get what I get as standard on my car.

Agreed they are built to a price but I can't complain. I also drive a Wrangler Sport out here in Doha. Again, it's five years old, 40k kms on the clock and all I've done is replace the tyres! Like the car in the UK it does exactly what it says on the tin.

So if it becomes Fiat, I hope they maintain the ethos of providing value for money.