Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Dec 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3785629)   #3576
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Yep. Thought it was quite good - obviously a bit of 'Hollywood' in it but the explanation of what caused the problem I thought was covered well (based on my very limited knowledge of the facts).
I thought the problem was that the well wasn't covered well ....

Anyway, it was all down a Swiss company subcontractor avoiding US tax according to information at the time.
Old 7 Dec 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3785632)   #3577
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Either Ken Bruce reads this thread or it’s a total coincidence- Radio 2 just playing Joe le Taxi by Venessa Paradis.....
Old 7 Dec 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3785641)   #3578
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I have the Plastic Bertrand San Plain pour moi single

and a few Jacques Dutronc ones too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ9GMnZM_f4
Old 7 Dec 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3785644)   #3579
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah memories! Ca Plein pour Moi was played endlessly in the Common Room when I was in the Sixth Form. I heard enough to last me a lifetime! I think it was the only single we had

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Dec 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3785689)   #3580
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ah memories! Ca Plein pour Moi was played endlessly in the Common Room when I was in the Sixth Form. I heard enough to last me a lifetime! I think it was the only single we had
There are some sad people about Max
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Dec 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3785697)   #3581
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
When we were young we used to spend holidays in north Britany, not far from Saint Malo. My elder sister and her mates was trying to catch Radio Caroline said to be a pirate broadcasting. We had a sophisticated installation involving long wires on the roof completed by a… fork! So exotic and rebel. Couldn't catch a word of course but enjoyed the melodies. Could the most famous Jacques Dutronc be "Paris s'éveille"?
Old 8 Dec 2017, 13:16 (Ref:3785821)   #3582
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So, two mentions of Jacques Dutronc on a Historic Racing forum. Who’d have thought!

The rise (and fall) of Pirate Radio stations were amazing times.....
Old 8 Dec 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3785937)   #3583
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Francoise Hardy was, of course, one of the cast of 'Grand Prix'; and I believe I have heard on the wireless lately a song by a popular beat combo from Manchester that sounds not unlike a tribute to 'Ca plein pour moi'

Paul M
Old 9 Dec 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3786019)   #3584
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just having a snooze on sofa before getting back out into cold workshop . Browsing on phone and I sad to say that Bette Hill has passed away earlier today .
Old 9 Dec 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3786020)   #3585
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed. Suffered from Alzheimer's so probably a happy release. Still the end of a legend.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3786024)   #3586
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That’s sad. Always came over as a lovely lady.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3786046)   #3587
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hey Zef I have ventured out tonight . I'm in the "After Dark club in Reading . My mate has resurrected his band after 30 years .
Old 9 Dec 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3786052)   #3588
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed. Suffered from Alzheimer's so probably a happy release. Still the end of a legend.
I didn't know of that health issue. JYS's wife too iirc.

Very sad to end up that way but yes, likely a happy release in the circumstances.

Things were so different back then.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3786067)   #3589
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the 70s I was fortunate enough to win the Graham Hill Memorial Trophy in mini racing and the cup was presented by Bette Hill. She was great company and very easy and fun to talk to, a memory I treasure to this day.

R.I.P Mrs Hill
Old 10 Dec 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3786086)   #3590
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I think any of the wives of the F1 drivers of that era had to have great strength of character to survive......having your son follow in the same risky career as his father must have been additionally testing, but Bette Hill always seemed to accept and support her menfolk's idiocies.....

My thoughts with her family at this sad time.
Old 10 Dec 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3786124)   #3591
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Dunno if anyone watched Guy Martin and a lot of other bods build a replica WW1 tank last night?

Serious project (JCB built the hull) and worth viewing on catchup or when it’s repeated. Lot of history included as well. Of particular interest to me was that the Norfolk Tank Museum 10 miles east of here put it together. On my future ‘must visit’ list, as the replica is now part of their collection.

Also, before Bovingdon became home of all things battle tank in the U.K., Elvedon Estate just south of Thetford was where all the training was done. (You know, where those stupid traffic lights were on the old A11....)
Old 10 Dec 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3786125)   #3592
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Dunno if anyone watched Guy Martin and a lot of other bods build a replica WW1 tank last night?

Serious project (JCB built the hull) and worth viewing on catchup or when it’s repeated. Lot of history included as well. Of particular interest to me was that the Norfolk Tank Museum 10 miles east of here put it together. On my future ‘must visit’ list, as the replica is now part of their collection.

Also, before Bovingdon became home of all things battle tank in the U.K., Elvedon Estate just south of Thetford was where all the training was done. (You know, where those stupid traffic lights were on the old A11....)
The Muckelborough Collection on the North Norfolk coast is also well worth a visit, Mike. I haven't been for a good few years now but they used to demonstrate some of their tank exhibits on the beach 2 or 3 times a day.

One of their staff (and demo drivers) was a former German POW tank crewman who never went home after the war. I expect he has long passed away now but a fascinating man.
Old 10 Dec 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3786128)   #3593
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, I went round the Muckleburgh Collection several year ago, when I lived a bit more local! Never saw anything moving though.

Also interesting on the prog was Martin having to take a tracked vehicle driving test. I wonder if farm workers in command of tracked farm machinery also have have that licence?

BTW apologies for my typo previous post- Elveden, not Elvedon.....
Old 10 Dec 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3786133)   #3594
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
BTW apologies for my typo previous post- Elveden, not Elvedon.....

And to be pedantic, I believe that you meant Bovington rather than Bovindon. The latter used to be home to a super mini-oval tarmac track which provided great racing, and is where my sons and I spent many happy Sunday afternoons. Unfortunately, it is now a housing estate I believe.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 09:09 (Ref:3786241)   #3595
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been to Muckleburgh on my only sojourn to the east that didn't take in Snetterton. It was charming, well stocked and plenty for a young MiniMax to do. It's three quarters of a lifetime since I've been to Bovington, really must get down there again, ISTR a pre-teenage me had a thundering good day.

The Guy Martin programme was fascinating, with some interesting history besides the actual build. He followed it up with something bang up to date with robo-cars. Strapped into an autonomous LMP3 car was fun for us watching, maybe not so much for him. Whilst he managed to get his Transit to go quickly in a straight line under its own control, at the moment human seat-of-the-pants driving is still quicker than GPS and robot arms at the limit. But it will change.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 11 Dec 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3786274)   #3596
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Glad you thought the tank prog was fascinating! Not just me, then. I’m not sure if the LMP car in the Guy versus robot car programme would be defined as autonomous or robotic. Don’t think it could react to other race cars being on circuit with it, and it was programmed for each run by the engineers. It certainly couldn’t work out that with cold tyres it wouldn’t have enough grip for the cornering speed programmed into it!
Old 11 Dec 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3786337)   #3597
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bear in mind they can put guys such like Kristensen or Pirro for instance and record every movement of the champion. Then they have the robot-car copying a perfect lap. Same thing has been made possible possible for a long time with a piano for instance.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3786354)   #3598
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, but although I’m sure it’s possible to get a car to drive itself around a circuit competitively, it will be different when there are 10 cars racing each other. That’s the autonomous bit- the ability for each car to think and calculate like a driver....
Old 11 Dec 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3786371)   #3599
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
..... the ability for each car to think and calculate like a driver....
Oxymoron?
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 11 Dec 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3786375)   #3600
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Good point!