Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Mar 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2154774)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Superstars 2008

Official website
General information about Superstars
Techical regulations

See this topic about the Zakspeed Chrysler.

Quote:
Maurer Motorsport starts the development of the Chevrolet Lumina V8
The Team of Swizrland confirms to be interested in the Superstars Championship

ROME – Last year, in occasion of the final competition of the season, the team arrived in Monza to study the championship, comparing themselve with other teams, to speak with technical experts of the Oral Engineering and with the accountable organizer of the FGSPORT. Now, after some month of study, the swiss team Maurer Motorsport has confirmed his attention in the SUPERSTARS championship by ordering three Chrevolet Lumina V8 which will be soon prepared at their factory at Killiken. The cars will arrive from Dubai so to earn time, the team has decided to let a first car arrive earlier by air. It is still not made official when the team would debut in the championship, and probably it will be difficult to see them from the beginning of the season at Vallelunga the 20th of april, but the team has confirmed the good opportunity to show the right interest to the SUPERSTAR Championship. One of the candidates that could drive with the Maurer Motorsport Team’s colours is the spanish pilot Maria de Vilota, who drove last season at the ADAC ProCar Series with the swiss team on a Chevrolet Super2000.
The Lumina SS is equipped with a 6 lt V8 motor which standard configuration has 360 HP, with a 6 manual transmission gear, rear traction and 1660 kg weight. Produced in Australia, is destined at the markets of middle-east, Southafrica, Singapore, Malesia and Thailand.
With the arrival of the binomial Maurer-Chevrolet, the borders of the SUPERSTARS will expand further on. The beginning championship season is waiting the debut of other trademarks like Mercedes or new models like BMW M3 or Jaguar XF.
Source: Superstars PR

For anyone who's interested in the Chevrolet Lumina [= Holden Commodore]. This week Motors TV started with the coverage of the Lumina CSV Series from the Middle-East.

ROAL Motorsport will enter Superstars with BMW M3.
Audi confirms two RS4 for 2008

BMW, Audi, Chrysler and Chevrolet...looks great for 2008. I hope there will be more cars on the grid compared to last few season.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 17:11 (Ref:2154839)   #2
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's surely growing! Great to see, as I believe this is what DTM should look like.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2154989)   #3
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This series really reminds me of the old (I.e early 90s) DTM, and i agree, if DTM had cars like this, super fast saloons, not the bewinged (ugly imho) monsters it has today, it would be a lot better!
Simon
Old 17 Mar 2008, 23:26 (Ref:2155200)   #4
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And there are the Mercedesses:

http://touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2057

I guess that's it Superstars is the new DTM!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 03:54 (Ref:2155301)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We get some highlights of this series in Australia, and it is a series that really has taken my fancy.

Hopefully the series continues to grow (And FOX Sports in Australia continues to show it)
Old 18 Mar 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2155365)   #6
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Is this series broadcasted over Europe somehow? By MotorsTV perhaps?
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2155732)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Motors TV
Old 18 Mar 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2155915)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Audi RS4, BMW M3 ánd Mercedes C, what more would you want from DTM? Add to that the American cars, and you have a nice championship. With some names in it to.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2155945)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
On paper it's a great series but from what I have seen on MotorsTV it disappointed me. Small grids, despite the big engines it didn't look very spectaculair and the TV coverage was very poor.

And were WTCC is blamed for their rule breaks the performance of the Superstars cars are also controlled by the organisation to ensure close racing. Superstars cars are slower as S2000.

Last edited by FIRE; 18 Mar 2008 at 20:47.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2162430)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I saw it last year, but that was an Italian series, but now it is starting to grow and it looks ace, the Lumina is basicaly a Commodore VE if I am correct? (Same side window shape and the little side 'gill')
Old 22 Apr 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2184253)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
First race: http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2206

Still a dissapointing grid and laptimes.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2184263)   #12
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, the grid was very dissapointing, but at the next round there will be more cars and at the third round the Jaguars will be there as well.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2184306)   #13
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
There's even a Maserati Quattroporte in the PDF on the frontpage of the website! And an artists impression of the new Jaguar, quite tasty as well.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2184327)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can't believe this has not dissappeared!
i was really a fan of this and the set up
but with explosion of "v8" racing series everywhere did this fall through the cracks?
or is the ETCC/WTCC just a powerhouse keeping this quiet?
Old 23 Apr 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2184937)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
i can't believe this has not dissappeared!
i was really a fan of this and the set up
but with explosion of "v8" racing series everywhere did this fall through the cracks?
or is the ETCC/WTCC just a powerhouse keeping this quiet?
Superstars is organised by FGSport. They are also responsible for the succesful World Superbike championship. So they are capable to organise big events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Gosh, talk about something that must be a sleeping pill.

A 12 car grid with an even 4,3s spread of laptimes in quali... only 6 cars within 2s at the front. They need a lot more cars and brands with competitive performance fast, or I'd be surprised to see them still around next year.
And despite big V8 engines laptimes are a few seconds slower as S2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadlou
According to Superstars website " the Jaguars S-Type Rs of Ferlito Motors which, in this week, will reveal their drivers"
No longer an official Jaguar Dealer Team?
Old 23 Apr 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2185070)   #16
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
But I think that's a good thing. Lots of horsepower, little grip. If it's managed properly and the cars become more equal I think it could become a good addition to the european touringcar scene.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2190568)   #17
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That may be, but they're a treat to watch. More cars should be out as the season progresses.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 05:30 (Ref:2190772)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Surely its about the quality of the racing produced. If the racing is good, it doesn't matter if they lap a track in 1m10s or 1m20s
Old 30 Apr 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2190967)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Surely its about the quality of the racing produced. If the racing is good, it doesn't matter if they lap a track in 1m10s or 1m20s
True, but unfortunaly the Superstars racing I have seen in the past wasn't very great.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2184445)   #20
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the right management for the series and good sponsors, this could be really good within 1-2 seasons. Just imagine a European version of V8 Supercars but with maybe 6 - 7 brands, all racing 4door V8 saloons. Great .
Old 23 Apr 2008, 05:25 (Ref:2184580)   #21
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gosh, talk about something that must be a sleeping pill.

A 12 car grid with an even 4,3s spread of laptimes in quali... only 6 cars within 2s at the front. They need a lot more cars and brands with competitive performance fast, or I'd be surprised to see them still around next year.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 10:18 (Ref:2184720)   #22
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this so liberal tech reglament give them big problems like in WTCC. Audi factory team with Morbidelli behind the wheel makes wins one after another and that have no decision.
I think they must disallow factory teams, like in FIA GT.

And they need more action on track, more than 1 25min. race.
Something like BTCC race reglament
Old 23 Apr 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2184793)   #23
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where did the Jags go? :/
Old 23 Apr 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2184832)   #24
hadlou
Rookie

France
Paris
hadlou should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Superstars website " the Jaguars S-Type Rs of Ferlito Motors which, in this week, will reveal their drivers"
Old 23 Apr 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2185034)   #25
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadlou
Ah, cool.