Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Feb 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2397431)   #626
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Jaguars are as quick as anything in a straight line.They call it Historic Car development.Contradiction in terms?
Can now merge all the threads together as they all seem to arrive at same destination.

(seperate one for those other cars)
Old 14 Feb 2009, 14:28 (Ref:2397439)   #627
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
The Jaguars are as quick as anything in a straight line.They call it Historic Car development.Contradiction in terms?
Can now merge all the threads together as they all seem to arrive at same destination.

Old 14 Feb 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2397491)   #628
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid

Some-one must be tired.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2397789)   #629
Flyingfox_01
Rookie

Flyingfox_01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

More like the engines are bent, just like the Cobras who wont let Scrutineers look inside them.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2397804)   #630
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely a 4.2 litre 6pot exhaust note is 'slightly different' from a bigger engine?

Anyways: a bigger than 4.5 6pot can't be any good in terms of reliable power? Or am I wrong?

I can imagine some Cobs have bigger than 289 / 302s in them . . . Do they need to lift heads and measure bore?
Old 15 Feb 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2397810)   #631
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Word is that some E Types are closer to 5ltr,some Cobra are alleged to be running over 8ltr,faster than in period,? I wonder why!. the problems start when a mediocre driver gets beaten fairly by someone who knows what he's doing.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2397813)   #632
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Can't be important or it would be checked-JR
Old 15 Feb 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2397861)   #633
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Can't be important or it would be checked-JR

Old 15 Feb 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2397875)   #634
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkel
Surely a 4.2 litre 6pot exhaust note is 'slightly different' from a bigger engine?

Anyways: a bigger than 4.5 6pot can't be any good in terms of reliable power? Or am I wrong?
If you spend enough money you can make them reliable.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2398746)   #635
Flyingfox_01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkel

I can imagine some Cobs have bigger than 289 / 302s in them . . . Do they need to lift heads and measure bore?
It is about time heads were lifted to measure bore sizes, but a good look at the stroke would reveal more, because 289/302/351 engines can measure the same bore size in a small block Ford engine.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2398898)   #636
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
As has been said many times before,this is exactly what was threatened at Silverstone a few years ago,the result was that the grid was 4 cars less for qualifying! At least 4 reserves got thier chance.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2399073)   #637
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Does anyone not think about the possibility that some people just can't drive that well and it's not always engine size that wins?
Old 17 Feb 2009, 15:22 (Ref:2399086)   #638
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Possibly the reason many of these big engined cars exist?
Old 17 Feb 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2399087)   #639
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Yes, I suppose it works both ways
Old 17 Feb 2009, 15:27 (Ref:2399089)   #640
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Would agree with you but when a good driver is sitting in car and another supposedly slower car comes whistling by in a straight line that has nothing to do with driving skill.That happened in last years 6 hrs with one of the E's being especially quick.Am not referring to John ,Jason and superstars one either before to many people get excited
Old 17 Feb 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2399118)   #641
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats exactly the point John,we all know who can and who can't,it's the can'ts who get the blood boiling!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2399273)   #642
Flyingfox_01
Rookie

To be quite honest i dont care who's driving there's no way a 6 cyl E Type of genuine capacity can possibly pass a 289 engined Griffith in a straight line. there are engine cheats out there who are kidding themselves into believing they are genuinly quick drivers,
Old 17 Feb 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2399308)   #643
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I started a thread a couple of years back on (What makes one driver better than another) and was told by certain people that just about anyone can be taught to be as good as anybody else !
However I will never believe that
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Feb 2009, 06:09 (Ref:2399443)   #644
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quite right not to,if it aint there etc.Its possible to teach someone "how to" but it's down to them to put it into action.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2400434)   #645
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw a great Nascar T-shirt in the States this week - A loser is just a someone who hasn't got the balls to cheat! You really had to laugh!
Old 19 Feb 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2400467)   #646
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield
Saw a great Nascar T-shirt in the States this week - A loser is just a someone who hasn't got the balls to cheat! You really had to laugh!
Could be a good seller over here Simon.
Old 21 Feb 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2401354)   #647
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Did you buy it and who are going to donate it to?
Old 21 Feb 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2401400)   #648
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me? Donate? Too much Florida sun John?!
Old 21 Feb 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2401403)   #649
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

E bay then!Would make a very good point .That E Type at Spa!
DW in NASCAR puts it down to misinterpritation of rules!It is good RACING
SH Your silence has led me to to conclusion to leave yellow and black thing alone.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2402660)   #650
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Word is that some E Types are closer to 5ltr,some Cobra are alleged to be running over 8ltr,faster than in period,? I wonder why!. the problems start when a mediocre driver gets beaten fairly by someone who knows what he's doing.
My ears don't deceive me Terry. That Dutch cabrio C2 Vette might have been a 383 - quick and exhaust drone - but apart from that I never heard a bigger than 6 litre Cob at Spa. Some Mustangs I dunno.