Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Jun 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3912446)   #251
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Way to go out on a complete whimper BMW. Thanks for the memes though.

Old 17 Jun 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3912471)   #252
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not the best way for then to go out, but at least we will have the privateer BeeEms next season
Old 17 Jun 2019, 22:44 (Ref:3912566)   #253
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Not the best way for then to go out, but at least we will have the privateer BeeEms next season
Will we? With who?
Old 19 Jun 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3912893)   #254
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, who would want to run those M8s when you can get hold of a 488 GTE, 911 RSR or even a Ford GT?
Also did BMW ever say anything about customer cars?
Old 19 Jun 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3912907)   #255
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think I may have got confused with Ford there.

Although it would be nice to have them back as a privateer for some variety
Old 19 Jun 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3912966)   #256
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post

Officially, BMW's unexpected exit from the series is by their own decision, but rumor has it they have been asked to leave because of their car's sheer size. And let's just say they aren't winning any appeals on that matter.
Old 20 Jun 2019, 07:00 (Ref:3913028)   #257
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I very much doubt the ACO is turning away any manufacturer, especially the size of BMW (pun not intended).
Old 20 Jun 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3913037)   #258
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
Honestly, who would want to run those M8s when you can get hold of a 488 GTE, 911 RSR or even a Ford GT?
Also did BMW ever say anything about customer cars?
This:

'[BMW] will still supply customer cars to sports car teams around the world, field the M8 GTE and its successor in the IMSA championship to appeal to the North American market, and field the BMW S 1000 RR in World SBK.'
Old 20 Jun 2019, 09:36 (Ref:3913043)   #259
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
Officially, BMW's unexpected exit from the series is by their own decision, but rumor has it they have been asked to leave because of their car's sheer size. And let's just say they aren't winning any appeals on that matter.
I've never seen the BMW but surely it can't be any bigger than the Bentley? (That always looks to me like a lowered double-decker bus!)
Old 20 Jun 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3913064)   #260
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I've never seen the BMW but surely it can't be any bigger than the Bentley? (That always looks to me like a lowered double-decker bus!)
The Bentley is big but the M8 GTE is properly huge.
Attached Thumbnails
Bigm8_b8ac9e_6645897-823x462.jpg   bmw-m8-gte.jpg   British-GT-Snetterton-2016-45-730x487.jpg  

WEB-Avon-BritGTgrid.jpg  
Old 20 Jun 2019, 13:41 (Ref:3913093)   #261
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post

It's a personal thing, but I confess I'm sick to death of these silly photoshops......
Old 20 Jun 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3913129)   #262
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This:

'[BMW] will still supply customer cars to sports car teams around the world, field the M8 GTE and its successor in the IMSA championship to appeal to the North American market, and field the BMW S 1000 RR in World SBK.'
They will supply GT4 M4s and GT3 M6s, but will they supply GTE M8s? Seems unlikely.
Old 20 Jun 2019, 16:12 (Ref:3913135)   #263
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if the M8 will become a GT3 car? After all, the M6 coupe is supposed to be replaced by the M8 as a production car. The future 6 series are going to be 4 door fastback sedan "coupes".
Old 21 Jun 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3913237)   #264
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This:

It doesn't explicitly say GTE customer cars and of course more likely means GT4 and GT3.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 07:55 (Ref:3913244)   #265
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
They will supply GT4 M4s and GT3 M6s, but will they supply GTE M8s? Seems unlikely.
Agreed - unlikely, particularly if there is no interest from BMW to sell them to customers.

BMW Group Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt:

“The IMSA series plays a central role for us in North America and is developing well. The USA is the most important market for BMW M cars, so it is very fitting to build a direct bridge to our production models there with the BMW M8 GTE. We will not compete in WEC going forward. Therefore, the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June will be another highlight for us in drawing to a close [...] continuing our WEC involvement in the coming years does not fit with our direction. The global presence of BMW M Motorsport is safeguarded by customer racing and the DTM in Asia and Europe, as well as the IMSA series in North America, even without competing in a world championship.[...]
As part of the BMW M Motorsport Customer Racing Programme, privateer drivers and teams will continue to represent the BMW brand around the world in the future. We will provide them with a wide range of support – and competitive vehicles of course. The BMW M4 GT4 has proved to be a real winner since its debut in the 2018 season and the BMW M6 GT3 continues to celebrate regular victories all over the world. A successor for our successful GT3 model is already in the works.”
Old 21 Jun 2019, 08:01 (Ref:3913247)   #266
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The Nissan GTR GT3 is just as big or bigger than the m8. The white paint doesn't help either. I think it's the height of the front end and the kidney grille that gives it the big look. It is only as tall as the 911 so the size is coming from something else.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 09:00 (Ref:3913261)   #267
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The Nissan GTR GT3 is just as big or bigger than the m8.
ModelLength(in)Width(in)Height(in) 
M8GTE1968848 
GT-R Nismo GT31888047 
911 RSR1798141 
Ford GTE1888141 
C7R GTE1778145 
Old 21 Jun 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3913266)   #268
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wish the Ford was one inch lower
Old 21 Jun 2019, 09:15 (Ref:3913267)   #269
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I wish the Ford was one inch lower
Old 21 Jun 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3913269)   #270
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The Nissan GTR GT3 is just as big or bigger than the m8. The white paint doesn't help either. I think it's the height of the front end and the kidney grille that gives it the big look. It is only as tall as the 911 so the size is coming from something else.
The GT-R isn't even as big as the M6. It's roughly the same as an M4.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3913271)   #271
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
M8GTE1968848 
GT-R Nismo GT31888047 
911 RSR1798141 
Ford GTE1888141 
C7R GTE1778145 
Great list. Do you have similar numbers for the Bentley and M6? I'm guessing similar to the Nissan GT3.

The M8 really is bigger in every way. There are some cars that come close in 1 or even 2 dimensions, but the BMW still wins every time lol.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3913278)   #272
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The width of the M8 GTE according to BMW Motorsport is 2046mm (minus mirrors), or about 81 inches.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3913286)   #273
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The width of the M8 GTE according to BMW Motorsport is 2046mm (minus mirrors), or about 81 inches.
I've quoted the with mirrors figure, as that is regularly used elsewhere.

'TECHNICAL DETAILS.
Dimensions
Length without rear wing - 4,980 mm
Width without mirrors - 2,046 mm
Width with mirrors - 2,224 mm'

81 inches is still larger than a GT-R Nismo GT3 though.
For comparison - the C7R is 77.4 inches minus mirrors.

Could a C7R or GT-R Nismo GT3 fit through a gap 82 inches wide - yes.
Could an M8 GTE fit through the same gap - no.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 11:48 (Ref:3913287)   #274
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Great list. Do you have similar numbers for the Bentley and M6? I'm guessing similar to the Nissan GT3.
Bentley and M6 (from manufacturer's specs) added

M8GTE1968848 
911 RSR1798141 
Ford GTE1888141 
C7R GTE1778145 
M6 GT31958148 
Continental GT319180.553 
GT-R Nismo GT31888047 

The GT3 cars are typically taller and longer than a GTE. Both classes generally adopt a width of approximately 81 inches. The Nismo GT3 is amongst the smallest of GT3 cars.
Old 21 Jun 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3913305)   #275
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I think you're wrong