Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who do you think it is?
Sebastian Vettel 1 2.78%
Kimi Räikkönen 0 0%
Lewis Hamilton 1 2.78%
Valtteri Bottas 19 52.78%
Daniel Ricciardo 7 19.44%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Sergio Pérez 1 2.78%
Esteban Ocon 0 0%
Lance Stroll 0 0%
Felipe Massa 0 0%
Carlos Sainz 1 2.78%
Daniil Kvyat 0 0%
Romain Grosjean 6 16.67%
Kevin Magnussen 0 0%
Nico Hulkenberg 0 0%
Jolyon Palmer 0 0%
Pascal Wehrlein 0 0%
Marcus Ericsson 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 0 0%
Stoffel Vandoorne 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Jul 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3749772)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Driver of the Grand Prix: Austrian Grand Prix 2017

Who do you think it is?
Old 9 Jul 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3749790)   #2
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ricciardo for me, his laps to keep Hamilton at bay were mega when I was watching the timing, no one apart from those two was anywhere near that pace.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3749791)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bottas for me. Just on it all weekend. Took pole and lead the race and won it. Just in a class of his own - and resisted pressure from Vettel.

Special mention to Riccardio. Another good race for him - I bet Max wasn't happy.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3750003)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Has to be valtteri top spot and pole position, can't do better than that
Old 9 Jul 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3750019)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bottas. Kept it together from start to finish.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 20:23 (Ref:3750025)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Grosjean - a great performance.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 21:48 (Ref:3750039)   #7
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be hard to deny Driver of the Grand Prix to someone who took pole, lead all the way (apart from the pit stops) and won the race. Add to that a lightning start and it has to be Valerie Bottas.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 02:51 (Ref:3750075)   #8
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Daniel Ricciardo cause he's Australian. And we Aussies rule the planet.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 03:08 (Ref:3750076)   #9
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bottas, outstanding weekend.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3750089)   #10
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Voted for my favourite driver of all time.

Old 10 Jul 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3750092)   #11
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem with Bottas is that overall he was slower than Hamilton. While Hammy was complaining about tyres all the time and the commentary team playing it up all they can, he's still closing in on him every lap. If Hamilton didn't get stuck down the grid he may have beaten Bottas. Two Mercs separated by only 7.4s when one started 8th means there's no real standout performance there. In fact you'd probably give the better race performance to Hamilton. Bottas did the better qualifying.

I thought Ferrari didn't reach their potential. On the rare races that Lewis has troubles and has to take a technical penalty, Vettel needs to win. Not let Bottas beat him and finish only 5 seconds ahead of Dani. I guess Dani probably deserves DOTR for the front guys, but it's hard to know what pace Verstappen might have had as well because he seems to have run over several black cats.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3750106)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
The problem with Bottas is that overall he was slower than Hamilton. While Hammy was complaining about tyres all the time and the commentary team playing it up all they can, he's still closing in on him every lap.
Bottas had trouble with tyres too don't forget - it's just he wasn't on the radio whinging about it every 2 minutes like Snoop Hammy Hamm.

DOTR a toss up between Ricciardo, Bottas and Grosjean for me. Grosjean gets the nod in the end because it's probably the only one he'll get all season.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 10:00 (Ref:3750112)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The problem with Bottas is that overall he was slower than Hamilton. While Hammy was complaining about tyres all the time and the commentary team playing it up all they can, he's still closing in on him every lap. If Hamilton didn't get stuck down the grid he may have beaten Bottas. Two Mercs separated by only 7.4s when one started 8th means there's no real standout performance there. In fact you'd probably give the better race performance to Hamilton. Bottas did the better qualifying.

I thought Ferrari didn't reach their potential. On the rare races that Lewis has troubles and has to take a technical penalty, Vettel needs to win. Not let Bottas beat him and finish only 5 seconds ahead of Dani. I guess Dani probably deserves DOTR for the front guys, but it's hard to know what pace Verstappen might have had as well because he seems to have run over several black cats.
Lewis thought he had the strongest race.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130642
Old 10 Jul 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3750113)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm voting for Ricciardo because he managed to get his car up there on merit and held off a charging Lewis at the end despite both drivers' tyres blistering badly
Old 10 Jul 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3750118)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I rarely vote for a driver, as I rarely see anything of great merit, but that is a personal thing, however, one way of looking at it might be;

Prior to the race weekend what would you expect from each individual driver?

Hamilton or Vettel to win.

Bottas, Ricicardo, Raikkonnen, Verstappen on the podium.

Perez, Ocon, Hulkenberg, Massa, Sainz, in the top ten.

Kvyat, Stroll, Alonso (?), Magnusson, Grosjean honourable mention.

Van Dorne Palmer, Erricson, Werlhein bringing up the rear.

OK, just a rough guide I admit, but were Sainz to win that would be something special for instance.

So who in Austria exceed expectations?

From podium place to top step for Bottas was not particularly startling, was it?

Vettel second no great surprise .. and so on ...the one driver 'out of position' was Grosjean.

Hmm.... just a thought.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3750127)   #16
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Two Mercs separated by only 7.4s when one started 8th means there's no real standout performance there. In fact you'd probably give the better race performance to Hamilton. Bottas did the better qualifying.
The problem with this kind of reasoning is that we never know if Bottas was just going as fast as he needed to to keep Vettel off, or if he couldn't go any faster.

Maybe he could have finished 20 seconds in front if needed (if Vettel was quicker), maybe he couldn't.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 14:41 (Ref:3750185)   #17
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I thought Ferrari didn't reach their potential. On the rare races that Lewis has troubles and has to take a technical penalty, Vettel needs to win.
I don't really agree with this either. I think Ferrari was second-best all weekend long.
If they can't get VET-HAM-...., I'm sure Ferrari and Vettel rather have BOT-HAM-VET than HAM-BOT-VET or HAM-VET-BOT.
(*)

BOT-VET-(RIC)-HAM is even better. I think Ferrari will see this as more points gained instead of points lost (due to not winning).
Sure, a win would have been even better, but they will still be pretty happy with this result I reckon

(*) Just not *too* many times, or Bottas will get a factor, too.
Old 10 Jul 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3750199)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bottas for me.

surely he squarely in the WDC frame now and Merc really should be looking to announce a contract extension for him before he racks up any more wins and his price tag goes up even more!
Old 10 Jul 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3750247)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
.. and so on ...the one driver 'out of position' was Grosjean.

Hmm.... just a thought.
On this occasion, I take high pleasure from agreeing with you. It has to happen from time to time - law of averages......
Old 10 Jul 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3750248)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I don't really agree with this either. I think Ferrari was second-best all weekend long.
If they can't get VET-HAM-...., I'm sure Ferrari and Vettel rather have BOT-HAM-VET than HAM-BOT-VET or HAM-VET-BOT.
(*)

BOT-VET-(RIC)-HAM is even better. I think Ferrari will see this as more points gained instead of points lost (due to not winning).
Sure, a win would have been even better, but they will still be pretty happy with this result I reckon

(*) Just not *too* many times, or Bottas will get a factor, too.
Is the Hamvetbot the new driverless racing formula.....?
Old 11 Jul 2017, 00:31 (Ref:3750304)   #21
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
(*)
Yes I'm sure Ferrari would prefer Bottas ahead of Hamilton if they can't beat them.

The problem is Merc are finding their groove and by the end of the season, I believe, Ferrari won't be beating them at all anymore. So Ferrari need to absolutely maximise their first half season and get out enough points that finishing 3rd later isn't going to cost too much.

If Bottas keeps winning any race that Hamilton has any problems, he'll soon be part of the title fight.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 06:14 (Ref:3750329)   #22
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes I'm sure Ferrari would prefer Bottas ahead of Hamilton if they can't beat them.

The problem is Merc are finding their groove and by the end of the season, I believe, Ferrari won't be beating them at all anymore. So Ferrari need to absolutely maximise their first half season and get out enough points that finishing 3rd later isn't going to cost too much.

If Bottas keeps winning any race that Hamilton has any problems, he'll soon be part of the title fight.
Well if Ham and Bot keep taking points of each other, Vet can only benefit. Far better to share the points between his rivals and keep on picking up his own. He has won a Championship that way, as did Alain Prost if I recall correctly.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 06:16 (Ref:3750330)   #23
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
On this occasion, I take high pleasure from agreeing with you. It has to happen from time to time - law of averages......
Please don't make a habit of it, I prefer to be the only one right all of the time.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3750475)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'll do my best to keep myself in check!
Old 11 Jul 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3750484)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'll do my best to keep myself in check!
Thank you, you ae a gentleman.