Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Mar 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3806705)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
2018 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Advance Auto Parts - Mar 14-17

Couldn't fit the entire title in the subject line like I normally do.

So, after a record breaking performance by the Mustang Sampling/Action Express Racing Cadillac at Daytona, we head 120 miles southwest to the former site of the Hendricks Army Airfield for a grueling 12-hour race on a track that should have been repaved years ago. 41 cars are entered in the 66th running of the Florida classic. BAR1, Jota Sport, and one of the two United Autosport cars that raced at Daytona will not be competing, along with the two Grasser Racing Lamborghini's, the Manthey Porsche, and the Risi Competizione GTD Ferrari.

One addition to the field comes in the form of the CJ Wilson Racing Acura NSX, piloted by Marc Miller, Till Bechtolsheimer, and Dale Coyne's favorite driver, TBA.

Along for the ride this year in form of support categories will be IMSA's Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge for a two hour race on Friday. It seems a slightly smaller grid compared to Daytona, with 37 entries. 27 GS, 5 TCR, 5 ST.

IMSA's Prototype Challenge is also in competition, for their second race of the year. It will be a 1hr45min race on Friday morning, seeing 26 cars take the green.

Finally, we see the first combination race for the USA and Canadian Porsche GT3 Cup series, who will run two races at 45 minutes in length. One on Thursday, one Friday. 37 cars are expected to start.

Sebring 12hr TV Schedule(all times Eastern):
Saturday, Mar. 17
10:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m., FS1
12:30 p.m.- 3:40 p.m., FS2(this is Strange)
3:40 p.m.- 6 p.m., FSGO
6 p.m.- 11 p.m., FS2

Race will be streamed in full on the IMSA website for those it applies to.

Essentials:

IMSA Radio

IMSA WSC/CTSCC Spotter Guide

Entry List for WSC(41 cars)

Entry List for CTSCC(37 cars)

Entry List for Prototype Challenge(26 cars)

Entry List for Porsche GT3 Cup USA(26 cars) and Canada(9 cars)

Event Schedule(at bottom of page)

Sebring, FL Weekend Weather

Event History

Track Layout

Track Graphics c/o RacingCircuits.info

Last Years Race:
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z--6VDdQsQ
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZSSXsapoto
Old 7 Mar 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3806708)   #2
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Hope to be just arriving after a long 9-10 hour drive at this very time next week.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3806737)   #3
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
I like Daytona well enough as the start of the season but this is the first 'proper' track in my view. Looking forward to this!
Old 8 Mar 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3806853)   #4
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Looking forward to being trackside all 4 days of the event, weather forecast is perfect, I'm ready for the sounds-and-smells-of-race-cars-in-the-morning!

No better place this time a year than Sebring.

And man, I love those bumps!
Old 8 Mar 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3806859)   #5
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sebring bop

https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...nd_gtd_bop.pdf

amg gt3 gets another +20kg ballast....
before end of season amg gt3 will be heavier than a road amg gt....
Old 8 Mar 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3806914)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm usually one of the least likely to moan about BOP, but what in that? Did I miss the AMG domination of Daytona or something? 20 kg increase seems like a sure way to have a couple AMGs disappear from the series in short order, plus an additional mm of restrictor?
Old 8 Mar 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3806923)   #7
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm usually one of the least likely to moan about BOP, but what in that? Did I miss the AMG domination of Daytona or something? 20 kg increase seems like a sure way to have a couple AMGs disappear from the series in short order, plus an additional mm of restrictor?
Despite this, I'm quite sure that bleekemolen amg gt3 will be fighting for top positions during the race
Old 8 Mar 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3806929)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Great Intro as always!

...and Dale Coyne's favorite driver, TBA.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 21:51 (Ref:3806932)   #9
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do you know that the added weight slows the car down more than the bigger restrictor = added power = added straightline speed makes it faster?

It might as well be a BoP help for the AMG GT3. Or just to make it more in line with the others. In any case, it doesn’t feel like a huge penalty to me. I’d bet a small amount that we will not lose many of these cars from the championship based on this decision.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 23:18 (Ref:3806947)   #10
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not sure about this one, but the M8 lost 20kg, now it runs at 1220kg. On top of that it received some boost increases in certain rpms. I wouldn't be surprised if they are towards the front.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3807043)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm normally excited to see her race thread, but I'll be missing this in its entirety this year.

Enjoy the orange blossoms and the old Airfield for those that are going!
Old 9 Mar 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3807116)   #12
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'm normally excited to see her race thread, but I'll be missing this in its entirety this year.

Enjoy the orange blossoms and the old Airfield for those that are going!

Haven't been able to go back since 2012. I'm eyeing a return in 2019, though. I'm 90% there, just waiting on the funding!
Old 10 Mar 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3807202)   #13
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately some of the entry links above do not work, for me at least.
Really looking forward to this event, being race starved in the UK!
Old 10 Mar 2018, 18:29 (Ref:3807260)   #14
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Entry for every race right at the bottom of this page- https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c...-hours-sebring

And the Historic entry for those attending the event- races on Wednesday and Thursday- http://hsrrace.com/wp-content/upload...y-List-3.1.pdf
Old 10 Mar 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3807267)   #15
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Yeah, they all went down. Same for links in S365 articles, I apologize for that. Due to this boards ridiculous edit time limit,I can't change anything. :\
Old 11 Mar 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3807326)   #16
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
Entry for every race right at the bottom of this page- https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c...-hours-sebring

And the Historic entry for those attending the event- races on Wednesday and Thursday- http://hsrrace.com/wp-content/upload...y-List-3.1.pdf
Thanks for that, sometimes it's easier to ask rather than trawl round
Old 12 Mar 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3807521)   #17
RoryMitchell
Rookie

RoryMitchell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

Ahead of this race this weekend I'd recommend watching this video from SAFEisFAST that they did from the Rolex 24. Features some IndyCar drivers and their thoughts on how different racing in sports cars is compared to single seaters.

https://youtu.be/xkO9mtXtp-A
Old 14 Mar 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3808014)   #18
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Juttner praying to make it to the end of the race, and the P1 AER engine maybe for next year.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ju...ith-mazda-dpi/
Old 14 Mar 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3808026)   #19
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Juttner praying to make it to the end of the race, and the P1 AER engine maybe for next year.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ju...ith-mazda-dpi/
So they are running into engine problems because they solved the cooling issues and the motor is running at full capacity (which it can't handle)?

You cannot make this stuff up.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3808029)   #20
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If the AER engine was a horse, it would've been sent to the glue factory a long time ago if I were in charge.

Joest never had these issues (certainly not to this degree) with Audi Sport or Porsche, but that probably also shows the differences in how Audi and Porsche handled their programs vs Mazda.

I'll tell you this: the Riley-Mazda is no Audi R8, R10, R18 or even R15, all of which are Sebring winners, and winners with Joest as the head man at the helm unless you want to count Wolfgang Ullrich.
Old 14 Mar 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3808062)   #21
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They should drop AER completely imo. What they do next is up in the air, but imo AER is a problem altogether.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3808184)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
First practice is finished, and the times at the front are actually pretty close! The best of all dpi manufacturers finished within 3 tenths of each other. The only thing is the best of the lmp2's was 1.2 seconds behind in 11th, also behind ALL dpi cars. Not sure if it stays that way but it doesn't look like the p2 guys are as quick. In GTLM it's Ford and Ferrari up front with Chevy at the rear.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3808190)   #23
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
First practice is finished, and the times at the front are actually pretty close! The best of all dpi manufacturers finished within 3 tenths of each other. The only thing is the best of the lmp2's was 1.2 seconds behind in 11th, also behind ALL dpi cars. Not sure if it stays that way but it doesn't look like the p2 guys are as quick. In GTLM it's Ford and Ferrari up front with Chevy at the rear.
Chevy at the rear not BMW this time eh?

Yeah I noticed the DPI/LMP2 gap as well. But that is just for one session so far.

Look forward to the race of course. I don't have cable/satellite. Being in the USA the good way to follow the race is having 4 browser windows open: 1)Live timing 2)IMSA.com onboard cameras page 3)IMSA radio 4)Ten Tenths forum thread
Old 15 Mar 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3808211)   #24
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Practice 1 results:

http://www.racer.com/images/2018/Mar...P1_Results.PDF
Old 15 Mar 2018, 20:49 (Ref:3808222)   #25
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here are the previous qualifying lap times for protos. Just for reference.

2017: 1:48.173 Oreca
2016: 1:51.217 Ligier
2015: 1:51.152 Ligier
2014: 1:51.917 Corvette DP
2013: 1:43.886 Audi
2012: 1:45.820 Audi
2011: 1:46.571 Peugeot
2010: 1:45.214 Peugeot
2009: 1:45.278 Acura
2008: 1:44.271 Peugeot
2007: 1:44.974 Audi