Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Apr 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3972183)   #1351
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the team's performance has been dire since she took over. I doubt she would have lasted in that position in any other team.
Old 22 Apr 2020, 09:41 (Ref:3972185)   #1352
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I doubt she would have lasted in that position in any other team.
I doubt she would have got in that position in any other team.
Old 22 Apr 2020, 12:45 (Ref:3972207)   #1353
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I doubt she would have got in that position in any other team.
Didn't Frank Williams appoint her?
Old 22 Apr 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3972210)   #1354
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
To be fair, anyone would have a tough job taking over from Frank
Old 22 Apr 2020, 13:26 (Ref:3972214)   #1355
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Didn't Frank Williams appoint her?
Exactly.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 00:53 (Ref:3972298)   #1356
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, the team's performance has been dire since she took over. I doubt she would have lasted in that position in any other team.
You mean other than two of the best years they have had in along time?

At the end of the day a lack of money is at the root of the problem.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 03:54 (Ref:3972313)   #1357
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
You mean other than two of the best years they have had in along time?

At the end of the day a lack of money is at the root of the problem.
And what caused the lack of money if that is the case? Bad management causes lack of money.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 05:09 (Ref:3972317)   #1358
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it's a combination of things really. I think she's done her best under difficult circumstances and unfortunately it has meant they have had to take drivers with big wallets at times.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 06:04 (Ref:3972320)   #1359
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think it's a combination of things really. I think she's done her best under difficult circumstances and unfortunately it has meant they have had to take drivers with big wallets at times.
She may have done her best. But is 'her' best good enough?
Old 23 Apr 2020, 07:20 (Ref:3972328)   #1360
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not sure its Claire that is the problem , its more likely its the current state of F1 and the money that is spent on fresh air .
Old 23 Apr 2020, 07:47 (Ref:3972331)   #1361
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
Im not sure its Claire that is the problem , its more likely its the current state of F1 and the money that is spent on fresh air .
That doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for other teams though.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 07:51 (Ref:3972333)   #1362
peebee2
Veteran

The simple test here is to think if Mercedes would have had the six season double title-winning success they’ve had if she had been at the helm.

Personally I very, very much doubt it.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 07:52 (Ref:3972334)   #1363
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for other teams though.
Especially so when you consider the massive additional media exposure they get from having a female team boss.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 09:07 (Ref:3972349)   #1364
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The simple test here is to think if Mercedes would have had the six season double title-winning success they’ve had if she had been at the helm.

Personally I very, very much doubt it.
Probable, as the management of Mercedes is of an exceptionally high level. You could put many bosses in there that would not emulate what Wolff, Lauda and co have done.

But equally I think if you had Ron Dennis or Frank Williams in there then they would not hit close to the same heights either.

I happen to think Claire has done alright in a difficult situation. Her job is ten times harder than any other down to the lack of cash. It also seems to have been forgotten that Williams were having something of a revival under her before this slump, punching well above their weight.

The technical leadership went badly wrong somewhere but who here honestly envisaged the issues they encountered when they brought in Paddy Lowe to replace the outgoing Pat Symonds?

Fighting at the back is their level with the current situation in F1 with costs. The last two seasons were not good enough, too far off the back, but this season looked potentially like a good step in the right direction.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 23 Apr 2020 at 09:13.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 10:43 (Ref:3972362)   #1365
S griffin
Veteran

Testing times have suggested they are closer to the pace, so that’s a positive sign. With George Russell in the car, he’s bound to drag a bit extra out of it. Remember Hungary qualifying last season?

I wish Claire the best. I agree she’s doing her best under difficult circumstances. Ok she’s no Toto Wolff, but then very few are
Old 23 Apr 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3972399)   #1366
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Me too . She seems a smart , decent and likable woman doing a job which very few people of either sex can do to a consistently victorious level . But when the likes of Dennis, Chapman , Sauber or Jordan lost form , they didn't attract the same sexist crap which I have seen posted elsewhere about CW .
Old 23 Apr 2020, 15:35 (Ref:3972400)   #1367
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Me too . She seems a smart , decent and likable woman doing a job which very few people of either sex can do to a consistently victorious level . But when the likes of Dennis, Chapman , Sauber or Jordan lost form , they didn't attract the same sexist crap which I have seen posted elsewhere about CW .
one more time for the cheap seats in the back...
Old 23 Apr 2020, 16:23 (Ref:3972409)   #1368
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Which posts have been sexist?
Old 23 Apr 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3972411)   #1369
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Which posts have been sexist?
coppice said 'posted elsewhere' so I'm taking that it means not on this forum.
Old 23 Apr 2020, 16:42 (Ref:3972414)   #1370
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
imo, i dont think anyone is being sexist. some dissatisfaction with nepotism which imo is fair enough because sports are supposed to be merit based (even though F1 has a lot of nepotism - actually a lot of sports ownership is based on nepotism).

this is a difficult one though.

usually we measure the smaller budget teams based on their efficiency. Force India is typically considered one of the most efficient teams given their points to dollar spent ratio.

but another way to look at business is to look at the rate of return on investment, and given Williams heritage bonus they were generally making more money then Force India despite spending (marginally) less money i believe.

so from a business point of view, was Williams the better performing team?

of course that all went sideways in the last couple of season as they experienced technical issues and a large decrease in investment as the Stroll family took their money to Force India (presumably because they were already rich they were more interested in points then their ROI).

another way to look at it would be to ponder what would have happened had Toto taken over the team. just a complete assumption but i suspect he would have brought in a manu and re branded the team as points would have mattered to him more then the 'Williams' name.

some may argue that the survival of the Williams name, in whatever capacity, is the real victory...in which case Claire is doing admirably.

for me though, even though i respect what Claire is going through (i also work for a family run business so feel an affinity), but i have to wonder if the heritage bonus made Williams soft.

business is great and all but at the end of the day sports means competition and once your start getting rewards above what merit dictates you stop being a sport team.
Old 24 Apr 2020, 00:13 (Ref:3972481)   #1371
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
imo, i dont think anyone is being sexist. some dissatisfaction with nepotism which imo is fair enough because sports are supposed to be merit based (even though F1 has a lot of nepotism - actually a lot of sports ownership is based on nepotism).

this is a difficult one though.

usually we measure the smaller budget teams based on their efficiency. Force India is typically considered one of the most efficient teams given their points to dollar spent ratio.

but another way to look at business is to look at the rate of return on investment, and given Williams heritage bonus they were generally making more money then Force India despite spending (marginally) less money i believe.

so from a business point of view, was Williams the better performing team?

of course that all went sideways in the last couple of season as they experienced technical issues and a large decrease in investment as the Stroll family took their money to Force India (presumably because they were already rich they were more interested in points then their ROI).

another way to look at it would be to ponder what would have happened had Toto taken over the team. just a complete assumption but i suspect he would have brought in a manu and re branded the team as points would have mattered to him more then the 'Williams' name.

some may argue that the survival of the Williams name, in whatever capacity, is the real victory...in which case Claire is doing admirably.

for me though, even though i respect what Claire is going through (i also work for a family run business so feel an affinity), but i have to wonder if the heritage bonus made Williams soft.

business is great and all but at the end of the day sports means competition and once your start getting rewards above what merit dictates you stop being a sport team.
You are forgetting (Or ignoring) the minor issue of Force India going bankrupt in 2018. Losses to the tune of 283.5 million pounds.

See here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2.../#24f34ed3452f

Williams failure to make a successful transition from the low drag cars at the start of the current engine formula to the more conventional has precipitated the current issues. As Rob Smedley said in the recent Motorsport Magazine podcast the team that finished 9th in 2019 is still a very good operation...
Old 24 Apr 2020, 03:16 (Ref:3972543)   #1372
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have had 3 businesses in my working career and there is one thing I have learned from watching others and that is poor management is always reflected in the bottom line and some people as nice as they are often are in positions that they do not have the skills to be in.
Old 24 Apr 2020, 06:19 (Ref:3972564)   #1373
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Probable, as the management of Mercedes is of an exceptionally high level. You could put many bosses in there that would not emulate what Wolff, Lauda and co have done.

But equally I think if you had Ron Dennis or Frank Williams in there then they would not hit close to the same heights either.

I happen to think Claire has done alright in a difficult situation. Her job is ten times harder than any other down to the lack of cash. It also seems to have been forgotten that Williams were having something of a revival under her before this slump, punching well above their weight.

The technical leadership went badly wrong somewhere but who here honestly envisaged the issues they encountered when they brought in Paddy Lowe to replace the outgoing Pat Symonds?

Fighting at the back is their level with the current situation in F1 with costs. The last two seasons were not good enough, too far off the back, but this season looked potentially like a good step in the right direction.
Personally, I was unsure about the choice of PL when he joined them. Reason?

When you take someone from a big team like Mercedes, I think it is very hard to really know who is directly responsible for the success, so trying to pluck someone out of that situation in the hope that they can replicate it for you is very hard. In Williams shoes I would have gone for the designer at Force India as a target, used to delivering a good car on a tight budget, used to outsourcing, used to the smaller team environment and working practices.

We have seen in the past quite biggish names that have moved to smaller teams and not being able to make the impact hoped for.

Williams have had a tendancy to put bits on the car that don't work on track, so clearly they have had an ongoing correlation issue that I am sure they focused on in CW's root and branch, ti be fair she did admit they found that many of Williams working practices were outdated.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:53 (Ref:3973654)   #1374
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Between being the former boss's daughter to being a woman in a man's world, how much do you think her situation has been made more difficult for reasons beyond her ability? I imagine every sponsor, team boss with options, etc could potentially discount her as not up to the job, as many on here do, more because of how she got her position and for being a woman. So any sponsor or engineer or whatever with options might demand more control, a better deal, play more hardball with her and go elsewhere if they didn't get what they want.

Not that I'm saying they're all sexists or whatever, just that it seems a theme even here, whereits a group of mostly very level headed people to still kind of look at her as a weakness. Maybe Frank did not set her up with a well run ship to begin with, either.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 17:00 (Ref:3973656)   #1375
S griffin
Veteran

Monesha of Sauber, did she have the same problems? Hard to tell, because she wasn’t in the main helm for long