Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jun 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3915178)   #76
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At least the stewards are consistently inconsistent.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:08 (Ref:3915193)   #77
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
totaly different situations dear Adam
I was just hypothesizing why people don’t take you seriously. Just saying that perhaps some of this is not down to the opinion about this race incident.

Don’t worry cupcake it’s not really a problem. It’s just a bit of fun.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3915194)   #78
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
At least the stewards are consistently inconsistent.
totaly different situations dear ASCII
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:14 (Ref:3915195)   #79
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
The move was not clean but nothing to throw a penalty for.
I agree with this. Happy they didn’t as we want people to try that.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:20 (Ref:3915197)   #80
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what reveals the bias for Max more - this decision or racing F1 cars at bloody Zanndvoort!!

I understand he his the heir apparent. I understand that the Dutch are... naively obsessive... but come on. You gotta give room. You can't just run drivers off the track because yours engine hasn't got the beans
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3915206)   #81
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmerRS View Post
Exact moment of the contact, I think it is 50-50 because Max could take a tighter line and Charles could stay wider:

Don’t come on her with your sensible calm comments. Keep them to yourself!

Better to be sensational, jingoistic and exaggerative where you can give a solid judgement even if you only saw the incident on the radio!
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:44 (Ref:3915207)   #82
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
totaly different situations dear ASCII
You apply the rules, or you don't.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3915213)   #83
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmerRS View Post
Exact moment of the contact, I think it is 50-50 because Max could take a tighter line and Charles could stay wider:
Max could have taken a tighter line, if he had the grip to do so. He could also have clipped the apex instead of missing it by at least a car's width.

Charles could only go wider by driving off the track (he did anyway). Perhaps if he had run even further off track he could have avoided the contact, maintained momentum and stayed ahead. but then there would have been a large faction saying that he gained an advantage (ie didn't lose a place) by going outside of track limits.

It seems to be an impossible conundrum. At the root of the problem is the issue of track limits. Drivers have been going further and further beyond them for years. And as drivers have gone off track more and more, the circuits have been modified to make that easier, safer and less damaging. So the drivers do it even more. The only solution I can see is a rigorous 100% enforcement of track limits rules. You can't be a little bit pregnant and you can't be a little bit off-track.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3915218)   #84
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
you obviously never raced yourself, otherwise you would know exactly what I'm saying.

the racing line is outside, inside- outside

but since Max started on the inside he had a wider line through the rest of the corner, just very simple racing facts.
Well I have raced, and you appear to be wilfully missing the point. You must always allow your opponent room to stay on the track. MV's line of entry into the corner was dangerously wide in the circumstances. He's lucky to have got away with it.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3915222)   #85
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
If it had ended in a pile of carbon fibre then he couldn’t have complained. But it didn’t and he won.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3915231)   #86
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pass wasn't ideal, but I agree this was hard racing.

My wife was asking a good question that I didn't have a ready answer for. Why did giants fall today? Mercedes didn't perform well, and while drivers were on different tire strategies, Verstappen was able to chase down and pass both Mercedes and Ferrari. He, Red Bull and Honda seemed pretty racy today.

Richard
Old 30 Jun 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3915233)   #87
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched it at the time and I've seen it again on the C4 highlights and though Leclerc might have been a little hard done by, I thought it was a racing incident and didn't warrant a penalty. I think a bit of inexperience came into play on Leclerc's part.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 23:19 (Ref:3915242)   #88
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Trapeze, unfortunately, having the perception that the race results are decided from "oh high", as opposed to on the track, due to all those penalties, is an untenable scenario.

Short of at least ripping out a strip of the paving right next to the track and putting grass or something back in there to create a default time penalty, well, they've painted themselves into this box, and I really don't feel sorry for them having created their own officiating headache/nightmare at this point.

Richard, as for giants falling, over in sportscars, Mazda finally slew the standing giants of Cadillac and Acura, so I'm feeling pretty good about today's racing results.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3915244)   #89
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Here in Australia we don't get the races live anymore except on Fox (which I don't have) so I won't see any of it until the "highlights" show airs tonight - so nothing from me on the Lecl/Vers meeting.

Once the grid was set after qualifying, I had a sneaking suspicion that the 2 of them on the front row could lead to drama on the first lap - the Vers problem at the start merely delayed the meeting until later in the race and it sounds like it really wasn't that big a deal when it arrived in any case.
Old 30 Jun 2019, 23:49 (Ref:3915246)   #90
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Clearly, the rules don't count if you drive a Red Bull car at the Red Bull ring.

Rather fascinating grand prix. Wrong winner.
Bad stewarding if same offenses are not punished consistently.

Someone who pushes another car wide and off track should be punished all the time or not at all, regardless if it is a front running car, a fight for 1st or a battle all the way at the back.

Last edited by gert; 1 Jul 2019 at 00:04.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 00:09 (Ref:3915249)   #91
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I saw them bang wheels, it reminded me of Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon. If one of them had gone off, it would have been regarded as a racing incident due to hard racing. Fortunately, they didn't have all these penalties back then that plague F1.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 00:15 (Ref:3915250)   #92
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
When I saw them bang wheels, it reminded me of Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon. If one of them had gone off, it would have been regarded as a racing incident due to hard racing. Fortunately, they didn't have all these penalties back then that plague F1.
I agree.

But the worst thing is the inconsistency in all those penalties.
If you throw a penalty if situation x occurs, then do it every time or never.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 00:27 (Ref:3915252)   #93
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I agree.

But the worst thing is the inconsistency in all those penalties.
If you throw a penalty if situation x occurs, then do it every time or never.
There is too much inconsistency.

How does FI appoint the race stewards? Are they chosen from a pool, or is it more random than that?
Old 1 Jul 2019, 09:17 (Ref:3915291)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good race, nice to see it not decided by stewards, although they are probably in a tricky situation after Canada. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Just nice to see they can let minor things go though

The Max/Charles battle was hard, but fair. Max certainly needed to muscle past Charles having failed to get past him first time. It's good to see RBR winning again and giving Honda their first victory since 2006. Reward for all their hard work. Charles will surely win one day. Just shows Merc can be beaten too

Great drive by Norris. He's proving what a star he is already. Also good to see Giovinazzi score his first points in F1, great race by both Alfas.

Gasly looked average today, he took way too long to get past Kimi, then finished a lap down on his team mate. Kyvat for all his faults did manage to beat the Honey Badger at times when they were team mates at RBR and when you consider that Ricciardo and Verstappen were very closely matched that says something. Gasly has so not looked like doing that to Max
Old 1 Jul 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3915293)   #95
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

How does FI appoint the race stewards? Are they chosen from a pool, or is it more random than that?
It looks like they dig a deep hole in the infield, string some hazard tape around it, and come back in the morning and see who fell in during the night, these poor sighted and lost individuals are made stewards for the event.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3915299)   #96
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
It looks like they dig a deep hole in the infield, string some hazard tape around it, and come back in the morning and see who fell in during the night, these poor sighted and lost individuals are made stewards for the event.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3915307)   #97
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I love wnut's version much more than what I believe to be the real deal.

I think that the local ASN at each race select their own group of individuals to the stewards' position, and in addition, the FIA appoint an ex-driver from their own worldwide pool (e.g.Mansell) to sit with the other stewards.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 13:33 (Ref:3915331)   #98
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I watched it at the time and I've seen it again on the C4 highlights and though Leclerc might have been a little hard done by, I thought it was a racing incident and didn't warrant a penalty. I think a bit of inexperience came into play on Leclerc's part.
Quote:
How is it not completely apparent that Hamilton is a huge phony at this point? I've pointed stuff out before, but here it is again. [...] he immediately cried on the radio for the stewards to look at it. Says all the time he relishes a fight on the track between him and Vettel. Yet.... Took the fight right out of it by crying to the officials. Nkt the first time he has shown himself to be a phony, won't be the last.
I wonder if the same thoughts are held about Leclerc after this race?
Old 1 Jul 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3915339)   #99
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Canada 2019:
Strict interpretation of the rules on a borderline case of unsafe re-joining. Forum commentary decries rigid application of rules and calls for some discretion and common sense to be allowed in the interests of racing. Stewards are insulted for being heavy-handed.

Austria 2019:
Stewards use discretion to allow a borderline pass to stand. Forum commentary decries inconsistent application of rules and calls for clarity and certainty. Stewards are insulted for doing exactly what it was argued they should have done in Canada.
Old 1 Jul 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3915341)   #100
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Canada 2019:
Strict interpretation of the rules on a borderline case of unsafe re-joining. Forum commentary decries rigid application of rules and calls for some discretion and common sense to be allowed in the interests of racing. Stewards are insulted for being heavy-handed.

Austria 2019:
Stewards use discretion to allow a borderline pass to stand. Forum commentary decries inconsistent application of rules and calls for clarity and certainty. Stewards are insulted for doing exactly what it was argued they should have done in Canada.
I agree...but nothing has changed between those 2 races. The rules are the same. No statement was made saying "Ok look, maybe we messed up". So why is the result different? Using the same data points you could also extrapolate out that they're just making it up as they go along. Or that they're anti-Ferrari. Or they're scared of the orange army that was there.

Obviously, I don't believe that that's the case, but it's a good demonstration of why we shouldn't assume they're improving. Especially since it took 3 hours to decide who won a race based on an on-track incident.