Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Nov 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3863146)   #16
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I wondered why it has taken so long for this series to get off the ground - from memory wasn't the original car unveiled on April Fool's day 2016 ?
Yeah, which was a pretty poor idea since the result was a lot of people thought it was just a joke - and the car didn't help.

But the finalized specs were set in August and they got the first chassis shortly after. I think a 2019 debut is possible, but it will probably have an F3 Americas size grid for it's first season. (Appropriate given they chose to use the F3 Americas chassis)
Old 13 Nov 2018, 21:08 (Ref:3863161)   #17
GCCheddaris
Racer

GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia , like the UK has a Touring Car series which seems to dominate the national racing scene . Admittedly in recent years GT racing has made it's presence felt but as far as I'm aware the Australian Single Seater ladder begins with Formula Ford or Formula Four and at the moment ends with Formula Three . I didn't think Australian Formula Three was that well supported and from looking at results Formula Four ( as in the UK ) has struggled to reach double figures so where are the drivers for Formula Thunder 5000 going to come from ?
Old 14 Nov 2018, 00:26 (Ref:3863200)   #18
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Thinking about this in the same way as the feeder championships is probably not the best way to go. This series, if successful, would not likely be a stepping stone the way F4 and F3 are - it'd be more apt to look at it as Australia's IndyCar. (though if the FIA is smart they'd give it a fair shake on Super License points, which COULD give it a boost)

A series that sits atop it's ladder isn't going to be looking solely at the drivers in the ladder leading up to it, after all, especially a series like S5000 that is likely more attractive to tin-top driver than the majority of open-wheel series.

On top of that, as the only modern F5000-like championship in the world, there may be appeal beyond just Australian participants. I personally know more than a few drivers right here in the USA that would happily jump into an S5000 car if they got the chance.

There are two countries in the world that I think can do a modern F5000 series: The US and Australia. If S5000 succeeds I hope we do our own version over here - whether a direct copy of how Australia's doing it, or in our own form(I've got a few ideas in how to make a successful modern F5000 without having to be all one-make about it - probably wouldn't work in Australia, but it'd have a good chance up here).
Old 15 Nov 2018, 03:02 (Ref:3863391)   #19
Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer has a real shot at the podium!Tourer has a real shot at the podium!Tourer has a real shot at the podium!Tourer has a real shot at the podium!
The prototype using the new chassis etc is due to cut some demo laps at Newcastle and then at the Adelaide Motorsport Festival: Story here
Old 17 Nov 2018, 01:18 (Ref:3863698)   #20
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I can only think of Formula Ford manufacturer Spectrum .
The S5000 car is also manufactured by Spectrum. However they do not have the capability to manufacture carbon tubs, so they are just fabricating all the bolt-on bits to go around an imported Ligier-Onroak Formula 3 tub.

The car also runs a local Hollinger gearbox instead of a Hewland or X-Trac, which is a nice touch.

It seems wildly unfeasible to expect more than one manufacturer, given the class is all about being as cost effective as possible! Hence the 5L lightly tuned road car engine, only making 580bhp and only costing around $20,000 (what, about 1/6th the price of a typical racing V8 engine for an open wheeler like a GP2 or Formula Nippon or 3000?).

The target price for a complete car is around $300,000... Less than a v8 supercar and half as much as a gt3 car --- potentially a good deal for a "proper" racing car, assuming there is enough series profile to attract sposorship.

The running cost will be far, far less than 1.2m euro budget for Formula 2... Albeit the car is far less sophisticated.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 17 Nov 2018 at 01:23.
Old 17 Nov 2018, 01:36 (Ref:3863701)   #21
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Elvis might return sooner than this class ever turns a wheel.
It has already done demo laps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJfiDQm86SE

With very limited underbody downforce compared to other open-wheel cars (and the heavy production V8), they are going to be very slow compared to Formula 2 let alone Formula 1. Yet V8 Supercars are very slow yet quite popular, so it may not necessarily be a problem.

It seems promising. A professional class that can attract sponsorship and potentially break the dominance of the V8 Supercars series is most welcome.

Old 17 Nov 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3863762)   #22
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
It has already done demo laps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJfiDQm86SE
I think he was referring to the actual S5000 car that will be used, not the proposed FT5000 chassis. Given the thread title, I can see how confusion may pop up.

Because of that, might I suggest moving further discussion to a more appropriate thread?

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150413
Old 17 Nov 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3863767)   #23
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I think he was referring to the actual S5000 car that will be used, not the proposed FT5000 chassis.
From the bulkhead backwards, it will be exactly the same. Those old fashioned naturally aspirated rigs are rather simple things!
Old 17 Nov 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3863815)   #24
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
From the bulkhead backwards, it will be exactly the same.

True, but everything from the bulkhead forward is going to be different, and that's well over half the chassis.