Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2019, 23:29 (Ref:3916768)   #101
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Here's a question for the Clerks on here.

Karting today my driver was chasing the field after an early off. Going down to a hairpin/loop type of thing someone several seconds up the road went off, careered across the infield and rejoined after the hairpin at walking pace having missed out the corner.

My driver went round the corner properly, came upon the miscreant and a yellow flag so braked sharply, back to walking pace, so the offender managed to pull away and block into the next corner.

1. Could he have legitimately have overtaken the "recovering" kart under yellow flag? Would he have been penalised for doing so?

2. Should it have been a white flag shown instead of yellow?

On a related point two of my drivers were called to the office because one was accused of overtaking the other under yellow. The "overtaken" driver, barely eight years old,, when presented with the evidence, calmly told the stewards the "the other driver is my team mate and he's faster than me so I pulled over and waved him by." By all accounts the drivers were ushered out so the clerks could stop laughing, at which point they were recalled - "no case to answer."

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
1 Is two seperate questions the first No, the second yes he could (as per rules)

2 christ how long we talking?... most things happen in seconds for karting... was it slow that long? how long? before I state which flag I would want shown

Real time is a big factor in any circumstance... what you say on paper actually means very little in reasl time I believe.
Old 10 Jul 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3916788)   #102
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the answers.

The reason I asked is that we had a conversation after the race and none of us was totally sure what he should have done.

We'll be aware in future. It's not that common an occurrence but I've seen it a couple of times, once it was Mini MM who cut the corner and was overtaken, but as he re-entered the track backwards I would say that was legitimate

Old 6 Aug 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3921730)   #103
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Out of interest, this is an extract from an email sent today to all competitors in their Silverstone Classic races from Masters....

"So, it’s one week after the Silverstone Classic and I have reviewed many videos from the organisers or in-car footage that I have been sent by many drivers. By in large, the driving wasn’t too bad considering the size of the grids. Especially in the Mini race considering it was such an evenly matched field – it was inevitably going to lead to intense and close racing.

However, there were some exceptions where the driving standard fell short of an acceptable level and, as such, two drivers have had their Zandvoort and Spa entries returned to them and stood down for the rest of the season and I am also writing to several others. Some drivers have suggested having a Goodwood type approach of ‘naming and shaming’ but its not something I want to get into yet! One of the big differences between Goodwood and Masters, in case anyone hadn’t noticed, is that Goodwood is a free invitation but you pay an entry fee to race at Masters hence a slightly different approach."

I know it's not unique, but good to know that attention is being paid to driving standards by a major organiser…...
Old 7 Aug 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3921794)   #104
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I received that too. Not sure what you thought but I didn't experience any issues with other drivers in the Gent Drivers race.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3921801)   #105
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, I received that too. Not sure what you thought but I didn't experience any issues with other drivers in the Gent Drivers race.
Nope, but perhaps we’ll be getting the ‘letter’, Peter!
Old 7 Aug 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3921803)   #106
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You certainly had a wiggle on when I made you take the wrong line for Vale.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3921806)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
You certainly had a wiggle on when I made you take the wrong line for Vale.
I’m rarely in control, Peter..... Just as well the +4 didn't have a memory card in the Vbox at BDC on Saturday!
Old 8 Aug 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3921957)   #108
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it very well written . Diving standards were fine .
Old 8 Aug 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3921960)   #109
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I thought it very well written . Diving standards were fine .
Yes, it was. I doubt the drivers referred to were in the Pre 66 GT race, but time will tell.....
Old 14 Aug 2019, 03:50 (Ref:3922633)   #110
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else see the Three into Eau Rouge clip from Brit Gts?
Worth a watch, Bentley, Ferrari and a Mercedes all want the same corner. Bentley holds his nerve and line perfectly, not once going over or touching the kerbing either side. Merc and Ferrari both got their deserved comeuppance with a five second penalty. So, no, you really don't need to use the kerbing either going in, through or out of LeRadillon. A lesson there for so many drivers in that clip.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:32 (Ref:3922636)   #111
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A link would be good, so we can see for ourselves......

And are we talking of penalties for exceeding track limits going through Eau Rouge, or on the way up Raidillon?
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:46 (Ref:3922639)   #112
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

And are we talking of penalties for exceeding track limits going through Eau Rouge, or on the way up Raidillon?
Sorry Mike, Youtube with the title given Three into Eau Rouge, Brit gts will do it.
As for the penalties applied, take your pick. Most favour the bottom left kerb because of a certain uncertainty of using the correct line(most clients show and admit this) That then gives an early clip point on the right kerb, which of course, is not the place you need the car. Penalty wise RE Merc and Ferrari, watch the clip and decide for yourself😁
Old 14 Aug 2019, 05:55 (Ref:3922644)   #113
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't find it on the Tube of You. Try this

https://www.sportvideos.tv/today-the...ugh-eau-rouge/

Old 14 Aug 2019, 06:23 (Ref:3922646)   #114
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

It was for crossing the kerb at Radillon, something we are all told to avoid in briefings. Nothing wrong with the entry of the Ferrari which took the normal line across the Eau Rouge kerb to the left.

The Merc was on the wrong line and had no option but to cut across the Bentley and run wide. The Ferrari was forced off because the Bentley was in the middle of the track and thus was equally bereft of options. It is also noticeable that they were all holding each other up, but none of them made contact. I recall watching it live then the re runs. Good driving from all I think. The penalties may not have been deserved IMO, but them's the rules.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 06:53 (Ref:3922650)   #115
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
So, no, you really don't need to use the kerbing either going in, through or out of LeRadillon. A lesson there for so many drivers in that clip.
Why do we think the F1 crowd do it then Terry? Is it because they are rubbish too?
Old 14 Aug 2019, 07:32 (Ref:3922657)   #116
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The red car is the 720s Mclaren GT3.

Yes great to see that though.Definely made me get of the seat for a bit when watching.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 08:01 (Ref:3922666)   #117
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Why do we think the F1 crowd do it then Terry? Is it because they are rubbish too?
Because they are allowed to get away with it! Bad influence on other drivers. Hamilton is one of the worst offenders, just because F1 does it, that makes it right then??
Old 14 Aug 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3922668)   #118
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post

Yes great to see that though.Definely made me get of the seat for a bit when watching.
Thanks for the correction Will.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 09:20 (Ref:3922672)   #119
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
For the recent 24hr race at Spa the competitors were specifically advised that they would NOT be penalised for exceeding track limits at the point shown in the video!

I guess F1 may have done the same in the past, and we’ll find out soon if same this year....
Old 14 Aug 2019, 10:43 (Ref:3922681)   #120
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post

I would imagine that 3 cars racing, at whatever speed they are doing through there, in such close proximity must induce some interesting aero compromises.

Or do those big wings, etc., to nothing?

The TSL Timing results don't mention any penalties.

https://www.tsl-timing.com/event/192905/session/rc1bgt
Old 14 Aug 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3922682)   #121
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Rick Parfitt Jr definitely received two penalties but I don't recall why. He accepted them with good grace. I suspect that since they are timing penalties they perhaps won't show up on the TSL reports.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 11:30 (Ref:3922695)   #122
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Rick Parfitt Jr definitely received two penalties but I don't recall why. He accepted them with good grace. I suspect that since they are timing penalties they perhaps won't show up on the TSL reports.
Maybe not for Brit GT.

They do usually report them - HSCC for example.

If the published results include a single 5sec penalty for each of the cars suggested above then the penalties seem to have made no difference to the result.

From the Lap chart the action must have been on lap 48 of 49. If so no signs of any penalties on that lap or 49 - although the McLaren was about 5 secs slower on the last lap but could have been traffic or simply backing off since it was a slightly slower lap than the Bentley anyway.

Were the penalties applied much later and so not reported in the timing for the day?
Old 14 Aug 2019, 11:34 (Ref:3922697)   #123
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
In truth I don't recall any penalties for that incident I was just assuming the OP was correct. Which is why I thought penalties would be unfair under the circs.

Definitely the Parfitt Bentley got two penalties, which on reflection may have been for contact. But that wasn't the Bentley in the clip.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 11:47 (Ref:3922699)   #124
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
In truth I don't recall any penalties for that incident I was just assuming the OP was correct. Which is why I thought penalties would be unfair under the circs.

Definitely the Parfitt Bentley got two penalties, which on reflection may have been for contact. But that wasn't the Bentley in the clip.
The Parfitt car seems to have 2 additional "P" (Pit visit) entries in the lap chart. One for each driver (might be more - I did not check past lap 30).

That seems to have added not more that 10 seconds to the laps that they were doing a the time.

Could they be drive throughs?

ETA.

My mistake - read the wrong lines.

Added about 35 - 40 seconds each across 2 timed laps.

Last edited by grantp; 14 Aug 2019 at 12:00.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3922700)   #125
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes that would be it.