Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 15 Apr 2003, 04:55 (Ref:569766)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti in new role?

He would like to own a Champ Car team someday, but one with no rookies, please.

By DAMIAN DOTTORE
The Orange County Register

LONG BEACH – Mario Andretti, who was in town for Sunday's Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, said he wants to become a Champ Car owner.

He said he would like to buy a portion of an established team. Andretti doesn't want to have to start one from scratch. And the team must have an established driver - one who can win races "right away," he said.

He said he doesn't have the patience to coach young, inexperienced drivers. One of the teams that interests him is Walker Racing. Derrick Walker has two rookies driving for him this year - Rodolfo Lavin and Darren Manning.

"Derrick is doing things the right way, I think. But I am in no hurry to get into owning a team. The timing has to be right. I don't want to have to beat down doors to get a sponsor," Andretti said. "I am looking because I want to stay on the inside of this sport. I would just like to come into a team and bring in my enthusiasm and hopefully take it to a higher level."
Old 15 Apr 2003, 05:31 (Ref:569779)   #2
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario is good for our sport. I would love to see him get involved in a partnership/team ownership situation. His support strengthens the series.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 05:37 (Ref:569784)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Newman-Haas satellite team eventually come to fruition sooner of later.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 09:44 (Ref:569926)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That Mario failed to get a team on the grid has to be one of the bigger disappointments of an otherwise largely pleasing offseason. He would be a tremendouse addition to the ranks of CART team owners, especially up against old on-trck rivals like Emmo and Stefan.

I agree that having a rookie team with only one rookie driver is far from ideal. Rocketsports have made a much mroe impressive entry that PK, despite PK having more resoutces and experience behind them. Tags V Lemarie has to be the difference.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:49 (Ref:570374)   #5
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Andretti had the *******' balls to send an Andretti/Green Racing merchandise trailer to the Long Beach Grand Prix. It had IRL written all over it. Mario was signing autographs from the trailer, but don't know why they had to send an AGR trailer for that. I'm sure he could have used the Newman/Haas trailer for autographs. ****ed me off!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:42 (Ref:570429)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Wow. That's wrong. Very wrong. The trailer shouldn't have been issued a permit in the first place. But even more troubling is having a member of the BoD on board.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 20:08 (Ref:570463)   #7
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... maybe Champcar should try sending BPCCWSPBF merchandise trailers to IRL events.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 22:12 (Ref:570584)   #8
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd buy it!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 22:38 (Ref:570599)   #9
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
Michael Andretti had the *******' balls to send an Andretti/Green Racing merchandise trailer to the Long Beach Grand Prix. It had IRL written all over it. Mario was signing autographs from the trailer, but don't know why they had to send an AGR trailer for that. I'm sure he could have used the Newman/Haas trailer for autographs. ****ed me off!
That trailer was at St. Pete also, not many people buying though. Why would you want a $200.00 gold plated Michael Car???
Old 15 Apr 2003, 22:56 (Ref:570611)   #10
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God damm. Michael's still trying to get money out of CART fans. Surprised someone didn't vandalise the thing overnight.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 02:53 (Ref:570704)   #11
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I repeat: there is no way that Mario Andretti will assemble a team without a strong sponsor behind, paying all bills.

I would love to see that (Mario Andretti Racing, I mean) happening, but that's not likely - at least soon.

It is true, though, that Mario and Texaco talked about sponsorship in several instances - last time as recently as a few weeks ago (before Monterey race).

But the fact that even Mario is having trouble finding sponsorship nowadays is quite worrysome.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 03:01 (Ref:570711)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the trailer is at Laguna Seca I will be dropping off all the Michael memorabilia I collected over the years (slightly damaged of course so there is no value for them, just a message).
Old 16 Apr 2003, 06:42 (Ref:570797)   #13
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I see that trailer at the Molson Indy in Toronto...Im going to have a few choice words for them. Im surprised that CART would allow them (Mikey's Trailer) at their races. I no they sell F1 and NASCAR merchandise at the Molson Indy...but this is different.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 12:15 (Ref:571035)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really all this stuff about Mario becoming a team owner is just that he will front an extra car from one of the teams. Hardly him becoming a team owner.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 08:45 (Ref:571886)   #15
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you go to crapwagon.com and click on forums...you will see a picture of the AGR trailer. It's under the "at the races" thread, and then under "Long Beach Attendees?" (Page 5)....One of the Crappies put an anti-Tony George sticker on the side of the AGR trailer! Hilarious!!!!!!!! Flatspot, I'll see you at Laguna!

Last edited by camcartfan; 17 Apr 2003 at 08:47.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 14:03 (Ref:572132)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can someone take a picture for us at Laguna?
Flatspot
Old 17 Apr 2003, 15:36 (Ref:572196)   #17
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's at Cleveland, that thing will be wallpapered with anti-tony george stickers. Hell, I might even picket it. Depend on how much booze I have in me.