Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 May 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1307966)   #1
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange Things You Take To Le Mans

Just thinking what are the strangest things people take down to Le Mans Over the years as I've walk around, I have been amazed at what people set up to make their home from home special.
Last year we were packing our van ready and one of the guys had put in a desk fan and a free standing fan, why we all said, we are camping and his reply was they'll come in handy
As you know last year was another hot year and unfortunately our freezer was having trouble with the heat, so we used the fans to cool the back of the freezer and hey presto they saved the day.

So what do you take??????
Old 23 May 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1308001)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A sleeping bag... no idea why.
Old 23 May 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1308004)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One thing that always puzzles me, why do some French people take their dogs to a racing circuit........?
Old 23 May 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1308090)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
One thing that always puzzles me, why do some French people take their dogs to a racing circuit........?
... locals...

You have to consider that the event is like a funfair, a fest for the family, not a race... it's like Christmas or Easter... nothing to do with a sports event... and it's outside !

... locals... locals...
Old 23 May 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1308398)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
... locals...

You have to consider that the event is like a funfair, a fest for the family, not a race... it's like Christmas or Easter... nothing to do with a sports event... and it's outside !

... locals... locals...
I'm sure that the classier people from classier places, like, say, Nantes, would never do a thing like that........
Old 24 May 2005, 03:44 (Ref:1308582)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm sure that the classier people from classier places, like, say, Nantes, would never do a thing like that........
I've got no dog, anyway...

And the stupidiest thing I brought to the circuit : newbies ! They're allways tired and undertstand nothing...
Old 23 May 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1308014)   #7
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quite astonishingly a couple of years ago somebody took a Norma!
Old 23 May 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1308020)   #8
Mr Willie
Rookie

Mr Willie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My girlfriend!! She complains there aren't enough women though. Can't say I disagree with that...
Old 23 May 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1308091)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At Spa this year I was amazed by the amount of locals walking around with a small dog, it became quite a thing for us - "look, there's another man with a little dog!"
Old 23 May 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1308098)   #10
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
At Spa this year I was amazed by the amount of locals walking around with a small dog, it became quite a thing for us - "look, there's another man with a little dog!"
Its not that unusual to see people walking their dogs up the pit lane at Spa!!!
Old 23 May 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1308131)   #11
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody takes my things to Le Mans!

Then again...go to Maison Blanche and look for the Drinking for Holland people, you'll see what strange things people can bring to Le Mans.
Old 23 May 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1308173)   #12
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
aspirin.
Old 23 May 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1308330)   #13
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those crazy lads at SELOC (South East Lotus Owners Club) made up a wall of empty beer bottles last year - considerable thought must have gone into it because when finished the different coloured bottles clearly spelled out "SELOC" about two foot high. They'd have had to drink for England to do that!
Old 24 May 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1308679)   #14
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Best I saw was at Maison Blanche a few years back. A group of guys took an axle-grinder and were busy sawing up one of the oil drum bins to make a bbq! Carrefour would have been much easier, but less dramatic I guess.
Old 24 May 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1309055)   #15
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm taking an ice cube machine this year.
Old 24 May 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1309289)   #16
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I've not gone to Le Mans, but equally crazy/humourous...

Our group always brings along (to Lime Rock at least):
A set of golf clubs (and 100+ golf balls),
Two miniature (six inch by six inch) Espresso makers (complete with tiny little mugs),
A 3 foot tall cast iron propane stove,
A bucket of sidewalk drawing chalk,
A set of bocce balls,
Christmas-style lights...

It goes on.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 25 May 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1310063)   #17
vollpower
Rookie

Ireland
Waterford
vollpower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

A young Cow to distract all the Bulls they put in the fields between Mulsanne
and Indianaplois.
With a bell of course
Old 27 May 2005, 07:11 (Ref:1311320)   #18
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats one hell of an impressive flag Paddy
Old 24 May 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1309326)   #19
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
We take, a glass fronted beer fridge from a pub, and a full rock band powered by generator for a live/rock & blues gig in Maison Blanche on Friday night - all TT 'ers are welcome
Old 24 May 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1309344)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The idea of getting some sleep during the race.....
Old 25 May 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1310071)   #21
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
The idea of getting some sleep during the race.....
I can't avoid to sleep thirty minutes or one hour on sunday morning. So I can follow the end of the race with my eyes opened.
I think it's strange that some people sleep during nearly the whole night of the race ! ;-)
Old 25 May 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1310172)   #22
Roel_Ooms
Rookie

Roel_Ooms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
I can't avoid to sleep thirty minutes or one hour on sunday morning. So I can follow the end of the race with my eyes opened.
I think it's strange that some people sleep during nearly the whole night of the race ! ;-)
Telling your friends, who just woke up, everything they missed during the night: priceless.

I agree, slept one hour max. last year just to fully witness the sunday that's always longer than you expected it to be. Welcoming friends that slept through their alarmclocks and arriving at the grandstands around 10 a.m. was really funny (for me that is).

So don't bring comfortable beds. Rather a tray of Red Bullish powerdrinks (which we did, about 4 or 5 trays), or even just to balance the alcohol...
Old 28 May 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1312336)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
Not strange, Pascal, positively stupid!

You wait all year for what is (for many of us) the ultimate motorsport experiemnce, the greatest part of which (without any doubt in my mind) the racing in the dark, and then sleep through it?

Seriously, you nemust be in need of some intense psychiatric treatment when you get home if you sleep through the night at Le Mans, IMO.....
Old 28 May 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1312458)   #24
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Seriously, you nemust be in need of some intense psychiatric treatment when you get home if you sleep through the night at Le Mans, IMO.....
I've to start mine, but didn't find the appropriate shrink
Old 1 Jun 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1316895)   #25
Cerbera Speed12
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Cerbera Speed12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

My laptop, my tent or my job - your decide!

Arrived last year, great journey down, set up tent in Houx Annex, mobile goes off,
important client has decided he wants to take himself and his band to do
a TV show in the USA.

Project grows larger by the minute and with no power back up, it's off to a
local hotel for the night, which became two, then three, then four...

'Star' departed at 2pm Saturday, so I made it back for the start!

I never set foot inside my tent, not once, but despite a large hotel bill (paid by client)
I was at least able to stay and see the race rather than do an
instant return from Le Mans to the UK upon arrival.

Why oh why do I have to take work with me.